iPad Pro erased itself

Discussion in 'iPad' started by moxxham, Apr 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. moxxham macrumors 6502

moxxham

I have a backup that's recent, however, has anybody had their 12.9 ipp completely erase itself? It updated to 9.3.1 overnight, so I have a feeling it has something to do with that.

So just a reminder to backup regularly!

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Are you saying it updated on its own? That doesn't happen.

3. moxxham thread starter macrumors 6502

moxxham

Yes it does. When the pop up window on the home screen asks if you want to update now or later, if you click later it will give you the option to update between 9pm and 5am automatically when plugged in and on wifi.

4. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

That's not really what I would call on its own. You told it the parameters in which to update and install.

5. moxxham thread starter macrumors 6502

moxxham

Yea, that's still no excuse for it to erase itself mate

6. youinc macrumors newbie

youinc

What do you mean by saying erase itself? All the data gone? As far as I know, updating will not cause data loss. Any possibilities of malware infection?

7. moxxham thread starter macrumors 6502

moxxham

Exactly what I mean haha. I used it, went to bed, woke up and it was asking me to sign into everything, set it up as new or restore from backup. Everything was completely gone

8. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

wow, thats pretty arse mate :(

out of interest, how often do you backup? i try about once a week to itunes. although, in 5 years of constant 'switched on in wifi' mode i've never had an auto update.

9. moxxham thread starter macrumors 6502

moxxham

I do an encrypted backup every 2 weeks or so...should be more often but I usually forget haha. I would use iCloud but I haven't upgraded my storage, so it won't back to iCloud at the moment. I don't have anything too important on it though so it's not too much of an issue

10. youinc macrumors newbie

youinc

I didn't check Apple Community yet. If it is a common problem happened when updating to iOS 9.3, Apple should send the warning out. Regular backup is a good habit but if there is such problem, Apple should fix it.

11. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

could be a random crash. happened to me last when upgrading to 8. something a few months back. ipad just hung and reset itself to factory defaults. can happen on times i supposes.

12. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Damn dude. This is a big problem. I know if this happened to me I would be pissed off the rest of the day. I have so much ON my iPad that when I need to restore from backup, it takes for freaking ever.

I'm wondering if it's the update or your iPad. Have you contacted Apple?

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It is not a big problem. Maybe a small one but so far it has only happened to one user. Just have another six pack while your iPad is backing.

14. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Takes my iPad quite awhile to backup. Might die of alcohol poisoning before I have a useable iPad

15. moxxham thread starter macrumors 6502

moxxham

I haven't yet. I've been meaning to go to the Genius Bar. I've had a clicking noise when I flip the Smart Cover around the back. Wasn't sure if something was rattling around. If that's the issue, brilliant, but I don't think it is! Haha no matter. When I sort it out out Apple, I'll let you know!

16. moxxham thread starter macrumors 6502

moxxham

image.jpeg This was the auto update in settings, just for anyone who was curious :)

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

18. Wackery macrumors 6502a

19. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Would it be possible that either the device is set in settings to erase itself after so many failed log-in attempts and that happened or someone with access to your 'Find my...' feature unkindly April fooled you?

20. moxxham thread starter macrumors 6502

moxxham

The only way I know is, sometimes when you unlock the device, it will tell you with a pop up in the home screen that there is an update available. If you click update later, it will ask if you want to update tonight (or something like that)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 7, 2016 ---
    Nah it isn't, I've never been a fan of that setting either haha. And I'm also the only person who knows my Apple ID and password. Must have been some kind of error! Hopefully it doesn't happen again