iPad Pro - I was wrong!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Phil A., Mar 2, 2016.

1. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Apologies if this is a bit long, but I thought it may be useful for people who are going through the same thought processes as me about the IPP

When the iPad Pro was released, I viewed it as invaluable for creative professionals (artists, etc), but of little use to the wider user base.

I'm firmly in the latter category and couldn't draw to save my life so discounted the iPad Pro as a bit of a novelty.

Recently, my MBP was coming to the end of its life and I was pretty much ready to order a new one. However, I realised that the vast majority of my "computer time" is actually in Windows (I develop enterprise applications for a living) and I was pretty much running VMs with Windows on my MBP almost all the time.

Because of this, I re-assessed and instead of dropping £2K on a replacement MBP, I got a Lenovo windows laptop and replaced the hard disk with a 1TB SSD (total price was around £900). It's most definitely a workhorse machine and nowhere near as "beautiful" as my MBP was, but did leave me with some spare cash so I took another look at the IPP

After playing with one in store, I realised it wasn't as unwieldy as I thought it would be so decided to treat myself to a 128GB cellular IPP complete with pencil and smart keyboard. My total outlay for the windows laptop and the IPP is about the same as the replacement MBP would have been and I got a solid machine to earn my money on and an amazing tablet for my down time.

As a tablet, it absolutely excels: The screen is incredible and the speakers are brilliant with the extra size making everything far more immersive. Yes, it's big but it only takes a couple of days to get used to the larger size and it's not ridiculously huge (slightly bigger than an A4 sheet of paper)

What really surprised me though was that after some time with the IPP, I found I was using it for far more than just my down time: The extra space makes a massive difference to the productivity side of the iPad and I find myself using it more and more for writing documents, doing spreadsheets, presentations, taking notes, etc etc which is something I tried loads of times on my Air 2 but it never really felt right (too little space and keyboards were too cramped).

Even RDP sessions are great now with a decent resolution (1358x1024) onto the remote machine and the pencil does a decent job of replacing the missing mouse

It's similar to the iPhone vs iPhone + - the extra size brings the device to life and it really does start to fulfill it's potential as a tablet that can replace your laptop. It's not there yet (and never will be able to completely replace a full computer for me due to needing windows for Visual Studio), but it does go far, far further into the productivity arena than any previous iPad I've had.

TL;DR;
    I thought the iPad Pro was just for artists. I was absolutely wrong and it is an incredible productivity device and IMO it's possibly the best thing Apple have released in years

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, thanks to its size, and pen it does a better job then the regular iPads but other tools (desktop/laptops) do a better job for long term access imo. In a pinch it will work better.

I've used an iPad mini to remote into a server, its not fun, but I was able to resolve the problem without needing a computer which I had no access too.

3. Phil A. thread starter Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yeah, it's not something I do as a long term solution but do have to RDP in to machines for support at strange times of the day and night and not having to fire up my work machine in those circumstances is a big help. I've done it on my iPhone before which was incredibly painful but better than not being able to resolve the problem :)

4. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

The iPad Pro is a brilliant tablet and a brilliant device to use for certain productivity tasks, for example i us an app called PDF expert and i write notes onto PDF documents. I really find it useful when using with iCloud Drive, keeping documents in folders and being able to open them on other devices such as my iMac and iPhone. The one thing I'm thinking about doing tho is getting a Macbook 12" to write on, as a writer i find writing on an iPad a little weird for long periods of time. The iPad Pro along with the Apple Pencil is a brilliant device, Apple have once again done a great job.

5. BrennerM macrumors regular

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, that's exactly how I feel. I was a bit skeptical about iPP when it was first announced, but once I saw it in the store, I knew I wanted to at least try it. So I bought one, taking advantage of the extended holiday return period, and once I brought it home and had a few days to get used to the size, I found I was doing complex document editing on the iPP I never did on the earlier iPads. I even worked on a Keynote document, which I had never done, even on a computer, but it was totally doable on the iPad Pro. Ever since I got the iPP, I've been getting my work done a lot faster, mainly because it allows me to do work without having to sit at a desk. With earlier iPads I could get work done on them in a pinch, but it was more efficient to work on a desktop. With the iPP, I find I prefer to work on the iPP than at a desk.

7. RedOrchestra Suspended

OR perhaps it just failed - Apple products do that from time to time, as do Apple Apps as do 3rd party Apps.

8. upritbass macrumors member

As does every electronic device from every manufacturer, and every app from every developer.

It's just more profitable to pick on Apple. You get more clicks. Imagine if the title was, "Lenovo Fails Lawyer"...

9. Fozziebear71 macrumors 6502

Fozziebear71

Exactly this. ^

10. RedOrchestra Suspended

Did you notice - it was Apple making the presentation NOT Lenovo! Apple fans are just too funny for words.

11. Trogladite macrumors member

Glad it met your needs. I am sure that many will find a host of reasons to not try it. That's the way the world works.

Nobody is forcing anyone to change their way of working. Many will try it cos it sounds like a good idea. I'm one. Others will see someone using it and go , hey I wanna do that. And a bunch will look at it and try to find reasons why it won't work for them.

All fair enough reasons to form a personal choice.

What irks are those who won't even consider the options properly, and then try to belittle or convince others that they know best for everyone.

I am finding more uses for mine all the time.

I wonder sometimes how the wheel got out of beta?

12. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

The point flew completely over your head, didn't it?

13. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

14. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

The article doesn't even mention how/why it failed. For all we know he didn't charge it.

15. brent12 macrumors member

RDP was too painful for me on the smaller screens but with the iPad Pro it is great. For RDP I've found JUMP to be a great app but I'm sure there are a lot of other good ones too.

16. irock101 macrumors 6502

irock101

Really love mine, just think its a tiny bit too heavy. It can get uncomfortable pretty easy when laying on the pool or in the bed without a proper stand.

17. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I was wrong too

I thought it was too big but boy I was wrong. Love mine

18. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

I wanted an iPad to read lots of (badly) scanned PDF's so I really wanted an iPad Pro. But when I got it, I learned that the keyboard was pretty good (MHO) and that writing with the pen was bloody brilliant at annotating during college.
    I find more and more uses with it and it's more and more replacing my MacBook Pro. It will not replace it entirely any time soon (OCR 1,5Gb PDF files and a few minor other things).
    Happy to read I wasn't toe only one that underestimated the iPP.

19. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

Nice review and glad you like it.
    I've had my pro for a month now and with the pencil and smart keyboard I can't see my self wanting another computer or laptop ever again.
    It's the first time I ever went with the highest memory and cellular also.
    If you have not used one you should not write it off as a bigger iPad.

20. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502

eltoslightfoot

I completely love mine. I took a leap of faith and sold my MacBook Pro to get it, a pencil, and a Bluetooth keyboard. It is perfect--since I use a desktop machine at home.

Has completely replaced my MacBook.

21. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

That is a big leap :) but nice to read it works! What kind of work do you do with it?

22. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502

eltoslightfoot

Writing (Ulysses and eventually Scrivener), Social Media, Wordpress (Blog editing), FTP, Coding (Coda), Art (Mainly Procreate). Finally I take TONS of notes for my BI Dev work (use my Winblows work laptop for the actual work) using Evernote and the Pencil and Notability. I edit documents using Dropbox and Microsoft Office (I have a 365 subscription) I also remote into my work servers using Citrix. Tasks with Todoist.

Obviously I also use it for Facebook, Twitter, and all the games (Final Fantasy, Hearthstone, Kingdom Rush, etc.).

I am not going to say it has been completely pain free finding new ways to do old things, but it has been worth it. Long battery life, accurate stylus, AirPrint, instant on, another PC I don't have to maintain.

Of course, remember I still do have a desktop (Mac/Win) to work from home on.

Heck, I am writing this post on my iPad Pro--from a Bluetooth keyboard. ;)

23. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

I recognize the time and trouble it can take to find new ways to do old things, but on the whole it hasn't been too bad.

How come you do use a Bluetooth keyboard and not the Smart Keyboard? I've used many Bluetooth keyboards, but they where finicky and gave me to much pain with dis/re-connecting. (Last one was the Blekin Qode pro ultimate, you can't update the bloody thing unless you have something that is running iOS 9.1!!) That's why I ordered a keyboard right away with my iPP when I learned it had a wired connection.

24. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502

eltoslightfoot

Well, I was using the Slimbook for the iPad Pro, but I hated that most of the time it was WAY too heavy, and it felt like a laptop rather than an iPad most of the time.

So, I switched to a leather portfolio type stand case and use an old trusty Logitech original "Tablet Keyboard for iPad." Works like a champ, and I don't have to have to "whip it out" until I need to. But the smart keyboard was tempting....