iPad Pro/iPad Air 2 - Which Carrier Did You Choose?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by clunkmess, May 18, 2016.

?

Which Carrier Did You Choose When Setting Up Your iPad?

1. AT&T

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. Verizon

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. T-Mobile

19 vote(s)
    42.2%
  4. Unlocked

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. Sprint

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

I chose T-Mobile because the 5GB for 5 months for just $10 dollars was too good to pass up. Plus you get 200MB free every month; great for the casual user who doesn't plan on using a whole lot of data.

Which carrier did you choose and why?

2. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I chose Verizon for their coverage and for having decent deals on shared data packages (my iPad is but one in a three-iPad family plan that my family uses).

3. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

AT&T, but it wasn't really a choice as I just added it to my MSVP (40 GB)

4. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

AT&T since I got unlimited data on it with free tethering. Without that, I would also go for T-Mobile's $10 5GB for 5 months plan.

5. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

I simply added it to my 12 gb/ month phone plan for $10 a month w Verizon.

6. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Fix your poll SPRINT here. Not only did they match Verizon's $529 Price for a 32GB 9.7 Pro which is normally $729 for an LTE Model. But they matched T-Mobiles data limits and $10 a month period it doesn't go up after 5 months for 5GB. Took separate calls but worth it.

7. zamboni52 macrumors regular

Be careful which carrier you pick. Verizon and AT&T will lock the internal sim to their network even though the device itself is unlocked. You can still use the external sim to switch carriers if you travel a lot. T-Mobile does not lock the sim and that's the one I use. $10 for 5gb for 5 months. I read the locking thing on another thread.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I went with T-mobile and the same plan as you OP. However, I'll switch to Verizon at certain points. I doubt I'll ever use AT&T but if I do it will be using the secondary SIM tray. It's outrageous that Apple allows AT&T to lock the internal SIM permanently on a full priced, non carrier specific iPad.

Whatever, AT&T won't get away with these types of heavy handed approaches much longer. T-Mobile is rapidly catching up with them in terms of coverage and speed, while AT&T seems to be doing nothing to upgrade their network but is instead focusing on figuring out what their focus should be after the Direct TV acquisition.

9. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I went with Verizon so I could share Data. It also allows me to upgrade my iPhones every year, they allow me to use the upgrade for my iPad for my phone.

10. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

am going too go with verizon with a 2 year contrack for my ipad pro if they are still haveing the deal by the 27th of may i all ready own a verizon iphone 6S on 2 year contrack am staying away from there next program 2 year contrack for me and that what am staying with and the best part is if you need too cancel the contrack ealry its only $175 up front too do so unlike there next if you cancel ifs full price do so so contrack price

11. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Very much this! I'm thinking about cancelling my phone contract and use my iPad instead since it is much more affordable.

12. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Depending on what phone you have and if it's unlocked, you could try RingPlus just so you'll have some cellphone service. Other than a small one-time top-up fee, you can get free service every month with Sprint's network. I just had to load $29 on my account once and I get 4000 minutes, texts, and MB (3.91 GB) every month for free.

I don't know where you live, and I haven't had a chance to try Sprint on the Southshore yet, but they're actually pretty good on the Northshore.

13. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

During the 5 months, do you also get the 200MB for free? Also, can you sign up for the 200MB for free and sign up for the 5 month later on when needed?

14. clunkmess thread starter macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

The '200MB/month Free Data for Life' is automatically given to you when you select T-Mobile. The 5GB for 5 months for $10 is a one time deal when you select T-Mobile.

15. mmartinezs macrumors regular

16. sixxmum, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016

sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

was planning to add it to my AT&T plan for $10, but now wondering about the whole locking thing.

According to TechCrunch if you buy from somewhere else and then connect with AT&T, it does not lock the internal SIM.

17. Bmoreguy03 macrumors regular

Bmoreguy03

AT&T so I could you Next. Didn't have to pay it all at once

18. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

i find AT&T next nothing but a scam

19. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

20. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

While it would be convenient to have an unlocked embedded SIM, it's not something you will probably use much (if at all) anyway. If you plan on traveling to other countries a lot, then you definitely want that embedded SIM to be unlocked. Otherwise, it wouldn't kill you to swap out the normal SIM on the rare occasion you need service from another carrier. After all, that's what you have to do on every other device anyway.

Go with what's most convenient for you to purchase.

21. Bmoreguy03 macrumors regular

Bmoreguy03

why do you say that?

22. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I went with Verizon (as I have will all my cellular iPads going back to the iPad 2). For me, coverage area and signal reliability are more important than cost, and for the places I go for business, Verizon provides that. I have the 1 GB/mo. data plan for $20/mo.

23. specialk0449 macrumors member

I stayed with Verizon for my iPad 12.9 because all I had to do was pay an additional $10.00 per month to add it to my existing plan. I have 12 gig per month of data and rarely use more than 9 gigs. My cable provider is TWC and I use their secure hotspots whenever I am close to one.