Carrier RingPlus (Free Phone Service)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Channan, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Channan, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

If you haven't heard of RingPlus, they're a Sprint MVNO that offers free phone service.

There's a truly free plan which currently offers 125 minutes, 50 texts, and 15 MB of data and doesn't even require a credit card to sign up, but there are other options for free plans that require you load a certain amount of money in your account to get.

There have been plans that offered up to 6000 minutes, texts, and MB every month for less than a $40 one-time fee.

MMS aren't included for free, though you can disable MMS on your account so you never get charged for them, and use Google Voice/Hangouts to send free MMS over data. Some plans include a certain amount of MMS now.

I will regularly update this thread with promotions they offer, so keep an eye out for high data plans if you're interested in using RingPlus. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer.

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Best tip I'd give anyone considering RingPlus: Slickdeals

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Thanks for the heads up. Looking for something like this for an extra iPhone 5s that I take exercising with me.

4. Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

If you can hurry and get a Sprint SIM card, the Phoenix plan (3000 minutes, 2750 texts, 2750MB of data) is going to be available again today in a few hours. It'll be available from 1-4 Pacific, or about 5-8 hours from the time of this post.

5. Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

Heads up for anyone interested. On Sunday, April 24 from 2pm to 10pm Pacific, RingPlus is offering a free plan that includes 3250 minutes, 3250 texts, and 3250MB (~3.17GB) of data every month. There's a $32.50 top up required, but then you'll get all of the above for free every month. You just need a Sprint SIM card and a device compatible on their network.

Man, and I just got a plan with 2750MB of data. Would be nice to have an extra 500MB/month. Oh well.

https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/4375

6. Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

I don't understand why nobody else is using this plan. Lol

Later today they're going to offer a plan with 4000 text, 4000 minutes, and 4000MB of data for free every month. 3.9GB of free data every month. I can't get over that. I'm gonna have to try to buy another SIM card somewhere to get this plan on another old phone.

7. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Interesting...worth a look maybe for a secondary phone.

8. Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

That's what I'm using it for. By the way, the 4K plan is available now for the next few hours. 4000 minutes/texts/MB of data. If you don't have a Sprint SIM card and/or compatible phone, you can basically reserve this plan by buying something from their store. You can buy a SIM card, phone, or phone accessory and then sign up for this plan later on.

I bought another SIM for my Moto X. I just couldn't pass up this deal, even though I already have unlimited data with Verizon on one phone, unlimited with AT&T on my iPad, and another free RingPlus plan. Lol

9. bufffilm, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016

bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

How does one disable all MMS messages though? Done by calling Sprint?

So if my understanding is correct...if I get a sprint compatible phone, get the sprint sim by ordering thru ringplus store, pay the top-up fee for the plan I want...ringplus will give me a number and as long as I disable MMS, I have tha plan for life?

10. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I got a free Sprint SIM from a RadioShack (Sprint) store. You can disable MMS on the RingPlus dashboard after you sign up.

11. Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

image.png

You can disable MMS right on the site. There's a toggle for it.

This is a Sprint MVNO, so you can't contact Sprint for any help. This is a separate company that just uses Sprint's network.

And yes, if you get a Sprint compatible phone and order the SIM card (or any phone or phone accessory) from RingPlus within the next couple of hours, you'll be able to get this plan. As long as you disable MMS and don't go over 4000 texts, minutes, or MB of data in a month, your original top-up will never be touched and you will just get that service for free every month.

I can't guarantee for life, because there's always a chance RingPlus goes out of business, or even does bad PR and changes their mind on this eventually. But they've been around for a few years already, so even if you only get a few more years of free service, for a one-time fee of $29 plus $15 for the SIM card, I'd say it's worth it.

12. lordofthereef, Apr 28, 2016

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Stellar deal. My problem is that this wouldn't suffice as a main line and I already have a fourth line that came "free" with our plan on T-Mobile that we don't even use. For someone like my uncle, who doesn't even have a mobile phone, this would be excellent. I need to let him know! Ty for the tip.

If I'm reading their page right the 4K minutes and sms with 4gb data package is only $29. Any idea if there is a way to monitor data or get an alert via sms or something? In thinking beyond the options in settings in iOS.

13. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Can I do everything now (pay the $29 + $15 SIM and sign up) and then do phone part later? I don't have any other phone besides my 6s at the moment other than an old flip-phone?

14. Channan, Apr 28, 2016

Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

Just want to clarify a couple of things that you probably know, but making sure you do just in case.

First, it's 4000MB, so only about 3.9GB. Barely a difference, and I'm sure you just said 4GB to keep it simple, but it is a little less than that.

Second, that $29 is a one time fee as long as you don't incur any overages, not $29/month.

To answer your question, I'm not sure if they send texts or alerts when you're almost out of data because I've only used them for a couple of weeks and haven't come close to my limit yet. I doubt it, though, since overages are where they make a lot of their money.

You can, however, check your dashboard online to see where you stand as far as minutes/text/data goes.

image.png

Buy the SIM card now. You have about 15 minutes left for this plan. Sprint uses different SIM cards for different phones, so if you know what phone you want to get with this, buy the correct SIM card. If not, buy this one (https://store.ringplus.net/SIMGLW436C_p_22.html) for your iPhone and transfer the plan to a new phone possibly with a new SIM later on. If you buy the SIM now, you can still get this plan later on. In about 15 minutes, this plan won't be available anymore.

15. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Sorry, maybe I wasn't quite clear.

My 6s is on Verizon, don't have any other phone.

Can I sign up minus the phone part now or do I need the sim and available phone at the time of signing up.

If I don't get your reply in time for the cutoff, I can wait another time with some luck.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Appreciate the clarification. Yeah I was lazy lol. My uncle is cheap but won't accept our "charity" of offering him our extra line. He just turned 80, still drives, and never carried a phone. I feel like this is a more than stellar option for him.

17. Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

I understood that, but your Verizon iPhone is unlocked so you could have set this plan up with your iPhone, then just put your Verizon SIM back in the iPhone and not used RingPlus until you got a new phone for it, though you would have to make a call once every month to make sure your account isn't terminated.

But I'm afraid it's too late for that plan. It's still available to sign up, though it should be getting taken down any moment. But if you buy the SIM now, they'll verify the time you bought it later and find you didn't purchase it in time. To answer your question, all you needed to do was buy the SIM card now and you would have been guaranteed this plan later on.

But no worries. Though this was their best free plan I've seen by far, they regularly offer good plans like this. Since I discovered R+ a few weeks ago, I've seen four plans ranging from 2500 to 4000 minutes/texts/MB. I wouldn't settle for anything less if you can be a little patient.

I'll continually update this thread with new promotions when I see good ones available.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You can actually use those phone credo sticks when it asks for the phone info. I just did that with my T-Mobile phone.

19. Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

I keep trying to find reasons for people to use this carrier, but can't think of anything other than a backup phone for no reason. I'm glad someone is able to find some real value in this.

Did you wind up getting this plan?

By the way, the offer is officially over. It's still available for Member+, but don't get suckered into that.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I picked it up for him and will show him what I paid because he is going to insist on paying for it lol. If he doesn't want it I now have a backup. At this price if he doesn't take it I'll know he's not only being cheap, he just doesn't want a mobile phone. There's no way he would come close to using the data or texts and probably not even the minutes (though admittedly i don't rightly know how much he calls). This is potentially a money saver for him if he can cut his landline costs.

Thank you again for the tip. :)

21. Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

What's that?

No problem. I'm just happy I was able to help someone get this. I feel like it's a moral obligation to let other people know of too-good-to-be-true deals. Haha

22. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

First off, thanks to EDH667 and Channan for answering the questions.

Will that Apple-compatible SIM that you linked to earlier work on a Samsung or other non-Apple phone?

Incidentally, don't think my Verizon phone has a SIM in it now.

I'm thinking buy the Ringplus SIM now, next time the plan is offered, pop the sim into my 6s and use it to sign up with Ringplus, then remove SIM and the phone will revert back to Verizon automatically?
    Then order new phone and pop the Ringplus SIM into the new phone. and everything is hunky-dory?

23. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

That was a typo. Should have read "credentials". I was trying to say you can just enter the imei of your device. Mine is a T-Mobile phone. I entered that but have no intention of actually using that device.

24. Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

Your phone does have a SIM. It probably shipped with one already in it, and you just activated it without messing with it. All LTE phones need a SIM card, including Verizon LTE phones.

I honestly don't understand how or why Sprint SIM cards work the way they do. I can't say for certain if the SIM I linked will work in non-Apple devices, but I'd guess not. RingPlus sells like 8 different SIMs. I can take my Verizon SIM and put it in either my Moto X or iPhone SE, but the Sprint SIM card I got for my old iPhone 5s works in my iPhone SE but not my Moto X. There's a separate SIM card I need for my Moto X, which is what I bought tonight.

Your best option would be to find a phone you want to use on this plan first, then buy the proper SIM card. If buying a new phone right now isn't an option, then yeah, you might want to go ahead and order the SIM I linked above so you don't miss out on the next great promotion. You might have to buy a second SIM card depending on the phone you eventually buy for it, but at least you won't miss out on a good plan later on. This time they let you lock in on the promotion by buying something from their store during the promotion hours, but that's the first time I've seen them do that.

Another thing to keep in mind is whatever free plan you pick, you're stuck with it. I got the Phoenix plan (3000 minutes, 2750 SMS/MB) last week and missed out on two better deals (3250 minutes/texts/MB and the 4000 one today). There are a couple of ways to upgrade to better plans, but you either need multiple phones and lose your original top-up, or you have to downgrade to the Truly Free plan (awful) and wait a month.

Ah, okay. I actually Googled "phone credo sticks." :D

Well you do have to pay $2 I believe to swap devices. Really stupid, but that will just come out of the $29 top up you paid.

25. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Dang. Wasn't aware of that. Oh well. I guess it locked the package in since it was time sensitive. Worth the $2 if service doesn't end up sucking in central Florida where this would mostly get used.