All iPads iPad Pro is on the way

Discussion in 'iPad' started by betabeta, Oct 22, 2013.

?

iPad Pro yes or no

1. Yes it's going to happen

147 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No it's not

63 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. betabeta macrumors 6502a

iPad Pro March 2014

Touch ID
    8mp Camera
    12.7" display

That's why it's no longer called the iPad, but iPad Air, to make room for a larger pro model, and now we also have the apps for it with the new Garage Band and iPhoto etc...

Guaranteed to be an iPad Pro, book it, Call it, whatever you want it's happening and part of the so called new product categories.

2. bryanescuela Suspended

3. bobright macrumors 601

4. DFZD macrumors regular

It'll come, but I think that would be happen after iOS and Mac are more integrated. Also I think it would eventually replace the Macbook Air, or eat up its sales. Since a lot of the audience would be same.
    Same like the iPod touch crowd buys the iPad mini and vice versa.

5. Aye macrumors regular

6. Steve-Jobs macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

7. cube macrumors G5

iPad Pro should have OSX, otherwise 13" is just the missing iPad.

8. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

IMO adding the "Air" moniker is more indicative of marketing efforts to make this version seem "all new" and get them out of the generational naming issues rather than to set them up for a Pro introduction to the line.

Also, if the rMini sells like crazy and proves that consumers are hot for smaller form factors, introducing a larger display doesn't make much sense.

I'm not saying they'll never release a Pro variant, but I think we're reading into the Air naming a bit too much.

Edit: Enjoy waiting endlessly for this mythical Pro that we have zero evidence of.

9. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

iPad Air next iPad Pro seems very fitting to me. The rumors of Apple making a 4K TV also seems slightly more realistic seeing as how the new Mac Pro supports 4K. So why wouldnt Apple make a shiny 4K display to go with your shiny new Mac Pro. Seems like they have it all lined up to me.

10. Altis macrumors 68020

I agree with OP. It's inevitable and the market is certainly there for it. Consider that many people are trying to replace their laptops, and iPads are commonly used in fixed places that would benefit the larger screen.

11. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

Agree with this Thread 100%... Maybe even a 256GB storage, who knows.

There will be a bigger iPad though. The 'Pro' is coming...

12. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Hmmm. A 12" retina iPad.

It's all coming together isn't it? It will run both iOS and OS X.

The new 12" retina screen production isn't for the macbook air, it's for these.

Mavericks almost solely focused on under the hood optimizations, allowing under spec'd machines to run faster.

Aren't the new A7 chips about on par with the old 2007 laptop chips?, which Mavericks still supports? A8's will be even faster.

Also, Mavericks memory compression, and GPU enhancements allow low RAM configurations, and integrated graphics to run smoother.

Not to mention the move pushing the new A series chips to 64-bit, as well as pushing for all the Apple OS X apps to now be 64 bit.

Makes sense to me.

13. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Yes but the larger screen would be the only update. Touch ID would also come to a 9.7" ipad.

14. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

If the Pro is on the way...would iPad Mini w/ Retina and iPad Air get spec bumped in spring of 2014? I know it sucks waiting and waiting, but that may be reason enough to wait...maybe get a A7x processor and fingerprint verification on all iPads

15. dannyyankou, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Which is why I'm waiting.

And don't forget about the keyboard cover.

16. betabeta thread starter macrumors 6502a

But if they do it in March, it will most likely be next October when the iPad and the iPad mini get touchID:D That's what Apple is best at, spacing out upgrades so we end up buying what would have normal decided between.

I know I will buy Air, but I would have skipped the Air for the Pro.

17. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

The bigger screen will only be one part. Higher resolution of course - keeping the same PPI of the iPad Air, making buttons the same size, but giving more usable screen space.

But the main thing is a new input method. I am thinking possibly a detachable, foldable, monochrome touch cover. It will display various input controls - obviously a keyboard would be the primary one, but also allow for swipe gestures without having to reach up and touch the iPad screen all the time.

Or maybe an active digitizer to allow for precise drawing and handwriting recognition. I know about Steve Jobs and his stylus quote - but tablets have gone beyond the original iPad and are becoming ubiquitous. And some things require more precise input than a finger. Of course your UI is still designed for fingers, the active stylus is just an additional input for drawing and handwriting tasks.

18. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

So strange that Apple admits that people want choice in their tablet by offering a 8, 10, and maybe soon a 12, and go further to offer these in sizes ranging from 16 to 128, yet they force the same phone on all of us, and don't allow us to have 128gb of RAM on the phone, which to me would be more valuable than having 128gb on my iPad

"We create all phones equal. If you want options get an iPad, just don't try to make a call on it because our tablets don't do that!"

19. RAPTORSKI macrumors regular

RAPTORSKI

I'd be willing to bet anybody $100 Apple will release an iPad 12" in the next 24 months. $50 for next 12 months.

20. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Agreed

I totally agree with you. In addition, I predict:

1. iPad Pro will come in at least two (2) sizes; 9.7" OR "a little" larger, and a "much" larger one.

2. PPI will be 326 or greater (can't have mini Retina with higher PPI than the "big" iPad(s).

21. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Don't forget the A7x chip that was missing from today's line-up ;)

22. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Yes, definitely, to power the new, "Retina+" displays.

23. betabeta thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, another thing held back for the pro.

I really think they are going to sell a lot of these, the odd one out may be the 9.7

People will get the mini and the pro, one for travel and one for home, and that's why the new 9.7 Air came out first.

24. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Yep yep

25. BBlue777c macrumors newbie

I think it is ture that the new 12" retina screen production isn't for the macbook air, it's for these.
    Mavericks almost solely focused on under the hood optimizations, allowing under spec'd machines to run faster.
    Aren't the new A7 chips about on par with the old 2007 laptop chips?, which Mavericks still supports? A8's will be even faster.
    Also, Mavericks memory compression, and GPU enhancements allow low RAM configurations, and integrated graphics to run smoother.