iPad Pro iPad Pro meet Samsung Galaxy TabPro S

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy360, Jan 24, 2016.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Apple played a Jack of Spades and Samsung just threw down the Ace.

http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-tab-pro-s/#!/spec

Just a few quick bits of info

Super Amoled 1440p Screen.
    USB-C connector
    10+ hour battery life
    Charges FULLY in 150 minutes
    Core M processor with 128Gb SSD memory base model, 256gb upper model
    Runs full Windows 10

Take note Apple. Give us 150 minute charging time and a 128gb SSD base model iPad Pro and we won't feel like were getting ripped off.

2. cg006 macrumors regular

cg006

Really nice design. But as a tablet still sucks due to the lack of any "apps" in Microsoft store. I really hope this changes in the future. I like the surface pros.

3. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Buying that would mean bringing Windows back into my life. Not happening.

4. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

+1 and not to mention it will be mediocre as a laptop, terrible as a tablet. Almost like the surface pro line after giving that a try for a month.

Specs aren't everything.

5. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Runs Windows 10. Pretty much kills it for me. That and the fact that it's a Samsung. Both of those things means this tablet is worthless to me. Windows 10 is still not a tablet OS and I have had nothing but issues with any Samsung computer/tablet/phone. So.. I think you got your cards backwards..

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Windows 10. Samsung. Apple has nothing to worry about.

7. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

The reason it charges in half the time as the iPad Pro is that the battery is half the size:

Samsung battery size: 5200 mAh
    iPad Pro battery size: 10307 mAh

8. Skika macrumors 68030

And the price...where is it? Can you even buy this thing?

9. sjleworthy, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016

sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

Surely running windows 10 it'll run regular desktop apps?

This is amazing stuff. Really tempted. For me it depends on day to day performance. The jury is out on that one at the moment. As mentioned, specs aint all.

Any mention of costs and release date?

10. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

Here is a further battery comparison:

12" MacBook Retina
    Battery Size: 5263 mAh
    Processor: Intel Core M Dual Core 1.1 GHz
    Battery Life: 9 Hours

Galaxy TabPro S
    Battery Size: 5200 mAh
    Processor: Intel Core M Dual Core 2.2 GHz
    Battery Life: ???

Yes, they claim 10.5 hours, but tell me how that is possible when the MacBook that runs at half the clock speed gets 9 hours with the same size battery. My guess is that when they test the battery life, it will be very poor.

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I guess it is tempting if one is looking for a highly portable notebook computer... because frankly that is mostly what Windows-based tablets are good for, notebook replacements. Years after Windows 8, there is still a lack of a quantity of quality touch-optimized Modern UI apps. Windows tablets are sorely lacking compared to iPads and (to a lesser extent) Android tablets.

I've owned (more than) my share of Windows tablets and Windows 2-in-1 hybrids since the release of Windows 8 and they were and continue to be greatly inferior to the others when used as tablets.

In the spectrum of devices that goes from pure tablets to pure notebooks, there is a point of convergence mid-way. The iPad Pro is on the tablet-side of the divide, Windows tablets are on the notebook side. IMO, the iPad Pro (even with the current limitations) is closer to that dividing line than any Windows tablet.

12. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

I'd rather leave a Windows PC online at home and remote in with the iPad. No thank you SamPad..

13. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have no desire for a tablet running Windows.

15. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i certainly absolutely have! i personally cant stand OSX. i love IOS but cant run desktop apps of course. :(

but as mentioned, so far there's a tablet yet to fulfill the needs. if the ipp could run Windows I'd be half way there. but by the sounds of it the Windows run tablets (including the SP range) just dont cut it in the real world.

16. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That is one of the reasons why I'm eager for trackpad/mouse support in iOS. Remote access to desktops is a killer feature with iPads but lack of a mouse is a bummer.

17. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

Agreed! This is the one reason I would like mouse support.

18. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

Samsung is a pathological liar when it comes to battery life. Been there, done, that.

19. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You can't blame Samsung for issues with Android. No company has ever been able to get good battery life out of Android devices. It is an open platform and battery life has never been managed as strictly as IOS. Even on split screen on iPad Pro, the window that is not in use is actually not "active" until you tap it to save on battery life.

20. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

Yes, but this device runs Windows and they are claiming 20% more battery life than a MacBook that has a slightly larger battery, an identical Intel dual core M processor, yet one that runs at half the clock speed, and no touch screen. I will believe when I see battery tests.

21. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are incorrect. The core M in the Samsung will be a 6th get Skylake as opposed to the 5th gen core M Broadwell in the retina macbook. With the 6th gen there are further advancements in power management.

Additionally, the Amoled screen uses less power due to only having to power the pixels that are in use and not having to power any backlighting.

Apple claims 10 hours battery life for the retina macbook with iTunes playback, which is Apple's way of saying maximum battery life. Samsung claims 10.5 hours of battery life with no mention of how that is achieved. I would expect its under similar circumstances of playing a video with wifi turned off and screen brightness at 50% just like Apple. A 5% high battery life with one generation newer processor and Amoled screen isn't unfathomable. You should just learn to crunch your numbers better because Samsung doesn't claim 20% better battery life.

While Apple claims 10 hours of battery life, most people on the forums report around 5-6 hours of battery on the retina macbook and there is no one on here holding Apple's feet to the fire getting all bent out of shape that their $1300 retina macbook is only getting 5-6 hours of battery life.

22. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Not really an issue to me. I've been doing remote access for ages, since the original iPad. I'm quite used to navigating without a mouse. And since the future is mouseless, I'm getting quite used to it.

23. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

24. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Actually, I CAN blame Samsung for their battery life claims. They have plenty of time to test the devices, they should and do know how long it will really last. The fact that they fudge or downright lie about battery life is totally on them.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 25, 2016 ---
    I'm thinking maybe your username should be SamsungGuy360...

25. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I was looking at the 9 hours of wireless web that apple claims, which is more of an indication of real usage to most people than watching an iTunes video. The iPad Pro claims 10 hours of wireless web use.

Yes, you are correct about the newer generation Core M in the Samsung, but you are ignoring that the MacBook Core M runs at half the clock speed, 1.1 GHz vs. 2.2 GHz. That clock speed difference is going to make a much bigger difference than having one generation newer processor. I haven't done that much reading about the new generation Intel processors, but I doubt they have cut the power usage in half vs. the previous gen.

As for people getting 5-6 hours of battery life using a MacBook, I have no idea as I don't own one nor do I know anyone that does. But I just looked at some online reviews, and they all seem to point to 7-8 hours of battery life.

Just for reference, when my 2010 MacBook Pro was new, I was getting 9-10 hours of wireless web use. Apple claimed 10 hours of battery life for that one. And on my iPad Pro I am getting more than 10 hours. Apple's battery claims are usually spot on.

I guess we will see how the Samsung does when the reviews are published.