Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dominican

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2013
A recent supply chain report from The Elec suggested that Apple is currently targeting a $1,500 starting price for the 11-inch iPad Pro with OLED and a $1,800 starting price for the 12.9-inch version. This would be a significant price increase compared to the current iPad Pro lineup..

honestly who's getting one ?

Reactions: Clamjuice65

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
Not at all worth it. I got my 12.9 M2 last month knowing oled is probably coming but would be too expensive to justify getting.

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
A recent supply chain report from The Elec suggested that Apple is currently targeting a $1,500 starting price for the 11-inch iPad Pro with OLED and a $1,800 starting price for the 12.9-inch version. This would be a significant price increase compared to the current iPad Pro lineup..

The vocal minority on iPad user groups.

The same sort of person who keep saying "they love their iPhone mini" and yet worldwide users wouldn't buy it in sufficient quantities for a iPhone 15 mini to come out.

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
In the country where I reside, the cost of a 12.9 iPad Pro cost about the same price of a base model MacBook Air. With the oled iPad Pro, I think it may be more cost effective to purchase a base model MacBook Air in future

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
$1800 for the 12.9 🤣

Nah, I’ll pass.

They better be delivering something absolutely beyond my comprehension to justify that pricing.

Just get a MacBook instead.
My sentiments too. But I will get a basic iPad Air for portability

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida

May be worth it if they follow the same formula as with iPhone 15 Pro Maxs. That price should include a significant bump in the storage start point. I mean for me, 1TB minimum, because we know the profit margin for Apple on SSD is insane.

Reactions: Reggaenald

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
My tabs7 plus has oled and 120 hz
Yeah, but Samsung Galaxy tablets refresh rate doesn’t go below 60hz. That’s why it’s taking Apple so long to have an OLED iPad… they want adaptive refresh rate ranging from 1-120hz (and it’s going to be expensive).

$1800 for the 12.9 🤣

Nah, I’ll pass.

They better be delivering something absolutely beyond my comprehension to justify that pricing.

Just get a MacBook instead.
I plan on buying one… but similar to how Apple created feature exclusivity toward the current M1+ chip that’s on the iPad (external display support & virtual RAM).

If the M3 chip doesn’t offer some feature that’s exclusive to the upcoming iPad Pro… then I’ll certainly pass.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
I use an iPad daily. Love the pencil support. Love the content consumption experience vs a computer.

But…

If they were that expensive? I highly doubt I would purchase one again. Maybe used, or on super sale… but I spent close to 1100 on my current iPad Pro 12.9 and I’m a bit embarrassed to admit that already. That would be insane.

Unless they make it fully capable of being a computer, I will be passing or sticking with a non pro model.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
I predict $399 for the keyboard.
Who are we kidding? The $399 price will be for the Apple Pencil Pro Max exclusive to the 12.9” iPad Pro.

Yeah, but Samsung Galaxy tablets refresh rate doesn’t go below 60hz. That’s why it’s taking Apple so long to have an OLED iPad… they want adaptive refresh rate ranging from 1-120hz (and it’s going to be expensive).

I plan on buying one… but similar to how Apple created feature exclusivity toward the current M1+ chip that’s on the iPad (external display support & virtual RAM).

If the M3 chip doesn’t offer some feature that’s exclusive to the upcoming iPad Pro… then I’ll certainly pass.

I like my 12.9” iPad Pro 2020, but I can’t justify upgrading it. Even less so for a better screen. If I want to stare at a screen that impresses me I look at my S95B OLED TV.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
This entire post ignores the fact that rumors about Apple’s pricing strategies are almost always wrong.
The base pro iPhone has been rumored to get a US price increased the last five generations in a row, it has not happened.
The Mac line was rumored to get cheaper across-the-board when the Apple Silicon transition happened, and not really. Better value but the actual pricing has mostly stayed consistent.

Given that a 12.9 inch iPad Air is rumored, I think that does point to signs at the price will be going up, but certainly not doubling.
Assuming the 12.9 inch iPad Air takes the old $799 pricing, I could imagine the 11 inch pro goes up to $999, and the 13 inch goes up to $1199, with a doubling of storage across-the-board.
So the air would start at 128 GB, and the pro at 256

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Not at all worth it. I got my 12.9 M2 last month knowing oled is probably coming but would be too expensive to justify getting.

That was my sentiment too, that and I didn't want to have to buy a new Magic Keyboard. It helped I was coming from a 2020 and not an M1 model.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
It’s not recent, the news is from March: https://www-thelec-kr.translate.goog/news/articleView.html?idxno=20113&_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en

I’m in the market, but if this turns out to be accurate, it will be a tough sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.