iPad IPad Pro or Air 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sensamic, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Sensamic, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016

Sensamic macrumors 68030

I know the Air 3 hasn't been announced yet, but rumours claim it's gonna be a Pro in the size of the regular iPad, plus with 4K display probably.

There are some nice discounts at an Apple retailer here right now, so I need to decide if I buy the Pro now (with that nice discounts) or wait for the Air 3.

I feel like the Pro is too big. I'd like to buy the cellular one so I can take it with me outside from time to time. That's a major point for the Air 3, plus it's gonna be way cheaper (I'd go for the 64GB + cellular). The Pro would need to be the Wi-Fi only version, because the cellular one costs almost as a MacBook Air.

The thing I like about the Pro is being able to do digital drawings. I'm not a designer or anything. I'd be just for fun. The bigger screen also allows for better multitasking. Also the Air 3 might not get Apple pencil support. Who knows for sure.

Right now the Pro has 100€ discount on the Wi-Fi models. The cellular doesn't have any discounts. These discounts end this Friday.

Would you guys take the deal because of the discounts or wait for the Air 3 and hope for Apple pencil support, keyboard support and such?

Thanks.

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Seems like you want the Air 3. You comment on how big the Pro is and how you can't afford the cellular model. Just wait..

3. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

You get used to the size of the Pro and the extra screen space radically improves the iPad's usability - especially the multitasking features (I have slideover active literally all the time). The size put me off at first but after a few weeks I didn't even think about it anymore. Sure, it's bigger than the Air and that footprint makes it slightly less versatile, but it's still only a very thin 13" device that weighs very little. It's an iPad through and through.

I'm sure the Air 3 will be really nice, but I'm pretty confident I'll stick with the Pro from now on.

4. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

it's like you have 2 options -

1) is cost a factor?
    2) is the large screen a deal maker?

if your answer is a negative to both of these then the Air3 is your answer :)

personally, after playing and working on a Pro screen there is no going back.

5. Pspressart macrumors regular

I agree. Cost was not a factor because it was a Christmas present from my sweetheart. The large screen is great. When my sweetheart asks me to do something for her on her iPad Air, the screen seems too small. The Pro is great for video, and the split screen is also very good. I can't count the times when split screen made the work easier, especially for copy and paste. For me, the Pro is a keeper.

6. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

I really don't think the iPad Air 3 will have a 4K display.... I can believe that it'll be marketed as being able to play 4K content with a higher resolution screen (not necessarily 4K), but the increase in computing power to play 4K (literally 4 times the number of pixels) would easily shortchange the battery life on the iPad.

Unless Apple made a recent breakthrough with battery density, CPU efficiency and OLED, I don't see that happening.

7. msavic macrumors 6502

Exactly, there is no reason to go 4k. I feel like the resolution will stay the same as its at the sweet spot in terms of pixel density and processing power needed to keep things moving smoothly.

8. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

Everyone keeps saying they expect the iPad Air 3 to have all of the features of the iPad Pro except in a smaller size. They are not going to be able to do that unless they raise the price somewhat. The extra screen size alone does not increase the price by $300. Just look at the price difference between the iPad Mini and the iPad Air... only $100. If the iPad Pro had the same feature set as the iPad Air 2, it would have started at $600 or $650. That extra $150 is for the improved speakers and pencil capability.

My guess is you will see improvement in speakers and the A9x processor in the new iPad Air 3, but you are not going to see pencil support. And the speakers will not be as good as the Pro -- they can't be or else the battery would be tiny. Or alternatively, they will offer a model with pencil support that costs another $100. Also, no way they are going to include a 4k display. They are not going to surpass the specs of the iPad Pro with the iPad Air. If there is going to be a 4k display in an iPad, it will be introduced with the iPad Pro 2, whenever that is released.

I also expect the life cycles of iPads to move to 1.5 years from 1 year. They have already done it with the iPad Air, and now I would guess they will do it with all of them.

9. Mystro, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016

Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

The iPad 3 will not be a smaller iPad Pro. Apple will NEVER let a iPad equal their Pro series of iPads.
    A9 is more of what the iPad3 will get. This will be a similar move to what they did with the Mini4.
    Screen resolution not be 4K. The Pro2 might be the first to have that option simply because it is their "halo" iPad. If and when 4K makes a entrance, it will be on a Pro.

10. Fthree macrumors 6502a

i have to agree on the screen size seeming big. Ultimately the extra real estate makes it a game changer though.

11. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

I actually think it is far more likely that the Air 3 will support the pencil and a new smaller smart keyboard. This would match more closely with recent rumors, and honestly it's probably less technically challenging to incorporate those than to push the envelope in terms of display / battery performance.

Combined with how you clearly favor the smaller form factor, I'd say you should wait for the (possible) announcement of the Air 3.

12. Robnsn2015 macrumors regular

Why not just wait until Apple announcing the product before even having this discussion? What if there is no new iPad announced until this fall?

13. darknyt macrumors 6502a

Seems to me we are almost back at the same decision tree as when the mini went retina and the iPad Air first came out at about the same time. I was convinced I was going to get a Mini retina until I held the iPad Air. At that point the weight difference was negligible enough that it came down to only screen size.

14. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

If you don't like the bigger size then get the air. I'm used to the size of the pro and isn't an issue. Speed wise it's stunning but it's hard to know what processor the air 3 will have

15. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Only you can decide if you want something now or later.

Personally, although I am intrigued with the iPP feature set, it's too big for me. I want the smaller iPads with pencil support. My ideal iPad would be an iPad mini with pencil support, but I'll bite on the iPad Air 3 if Apple decided to put pencil support on that (and not on iPad mini 5). If Apple do not put pencil support on either, then I'm keeping my mini 2.

16. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

Because right there are some nice discounts (100€ off) with the Pro at an Apple retailer here, and they end this Saturday, so if I decide to buy the Pro it has to be now because it's cheaper than next month.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Can you buy the Pro with the discount and return it if it doesn't work out for you?

18. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

Where I live (Spain) we can only return an Apple product if there's a problem with it. We can't return it if we don't like it.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Oh, okay, bummer.

One thought just occurred to me -- would you be even considering the Pro if not for that discount? If the iPad Air 3 comes out in March without Pencil support, would you get the Pro, even without the discount?

20. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Wow.

That's terribly disappointing. I tend to try products out & return it. Latest Apple product I returned was the Magic Keyboard... Simply told them it wasn't for me.

Returned the Apple Watch as well. I wonder why is that a policy in Spain?

21. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Buy the Pro, I don't see anything special about the Air 3.

22. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

I doubt there will be an iPad Pro in two sizes. However, in six weeks you'll know exactly what is coming in the iPad 3.

23. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, I would still consider it. I don't really need it but I'm looking to buy either a laptop or a laptop replacement for college: watching classes, Word editing, surfing the web, playing games, etc. Normal stuff, although I like the better productivity of a laptop, but I'm more into tablets.

That's my reason for looking into buying a new better tablet. Pencil support would be just for fun, but I kind of like the idea of being able to do digital drawings and share them later.

24. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

It's like that in many countries in Europe where there is no real competition between retailers and the governments don't care about the consumer's rights. I am always amazed how easy can be for someone in the US to return or exchange a product.

25. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Maybe you can get iPP one week AFTER Air 3 is released and use it until Air 3 comes out you can test drive Air 3 at your local Apple Store to compare it you can return iPP within 14 days.