iPad Pro or iPad Air 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mcorleone, Nov 5, 2015.

1. mcorleone macrumors regular

mcorleone

I'm looking to upgrade from my 3rd generation iPad soon (first one with retina display). I'm somewhat on the fence on upgrading this year to a 128 GB Pro or waiting until next year for the inevitable Air 3. I like the idea of a large screen but I do believe it will be somewhat cumbersome in the long run not to mention it is more expensive than the regular iPads. At this point I'm leaning toward waiting for the Air 3 to be released but would like some feedback. I'm the type of person who usually buys the latest in tech gadgets but I won't upgrade every generation like some do. I'll keep what I have for several years...

2. Amazing Ox Space Monkey macrumors member

OP, Is this a question, or you just share with us your thoughts?

3. mcorleone thread starter macrumors regular

mcorleone

I just want to hear how others feel on whether they will buy the Pro or wait for the Air 3.

4. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I would either wait until next year for the inevitable iPad Air 3 (which will probably have an A9X processor, a 12MP iSight camera, 4K video recording, a 5MP FaceTime HD camera, faster Wi-Fi, second-generation Touch-ID, and a rose gold color option) or buy the 128GB iPad Air 2 for $560 at Staples. It depends on how badly you want a new iPad.

Do keep in mind, though, that there is a good chance that Apple upgrade the storage capacities next year, so a 128GB model might or might not be cheaper (perhaps a 32GB model for $499 and a 128GB for $150 more like the iPad Pro?).

It seems like the iPad Pro's size would not be ideal for you, so I would stick to the regular size (plus, the iPad Pro is more expensive).

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd wait for the Air 3. Not sure if I want something as large as the Pro. However, for you, I'd recommend looking at the Pro when it comes out in the stores. That way you can get a better idea if you want it.

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

One thing that I have learned from my experiences is to not buy the new gen i-device on day-1. (the only exception was the original iPad) Seems like the initial build-up of inventory in preparation for release results in devices that are more likely to have issues than ones manufactured 3+ months after launch.

The iPad Pro is a first generation device. The 2nd gen could be a significant update (new features).

Then there's the potential for some things like the magnetic keyboard and Pencil being made available for the Air 3. I know that many don't agree, but I think there's a good possibility.

The current deals on the Air 2 ($140 off 64GB/128GB models) are pretty hard to beat. The Air 2 seems poised to be the next long life generation (like the iPad 2)... when the iPad Pro was announced and it didn't provide what I was hoping for, I got in on one of those deals ($150 off 128GB) and plan to stick with the Air 2 for at least 2 years and see what unfolds wrt the Air and Pro.

Just a few of thoughts.

7. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

a first gen like this ipad doesnt concern me. it'll be the best ipad out there, spec wise, for a while. it has a long history to build from. yes, gen 2,3,4,5,6 etc will always be better, so why not buy 1, or 2 or 3 or 4 etc? i dont see the downer on a first gen like this when it's got a heritage to build on and it's not a radical brand new system with no predecessors.

it's all down to user wants/needs. as are most "shall i buy this?" questions. you tell us your needs/wants and it'll make life easier to advise.

8. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I want the Air 3 to have the better speaker system that's in the iPad Pro. That will keep me happy.

9. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Only two questions to ask from my perspective:
    -Do you care about the Pencil? We don't know if next regular-sized iPad will support it.
    -Would you rather have more screen at a similar (~7% higher) weight, or the same screen area at ~65% of the weight of your current device? The Air series can be used comfortably in one hand (IMO), I don't expect this to be true with the Pro (more weight and more torque because the center of mass is farther from the hand).

10. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Just order the iPad Pro and try it out. You can always return it if it doesn't meet your needs and that way you won't be sorry. That's what I'm going to do anyway. Just don't get rid of your current iPad until you are absolutely sure.

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

My comment regarding 1st gen is not about any unchartered territory but the significant improvements that Apple makes on subsequent generations as they refine. There are definitely high-points to buy an iPad that are better than the low points. Not all generations of iPads are equal. Buying an iPad 3 was not one of those high points. Neither was buying the Air 1. In both cases there was a significant improvement introduced with the following gen.

You might ask, "how is one to know?" That's a good question. Some have a knack for it, others don't. Succumbing to the emotions of "gotta have it... NOW!!!" tend to prevent developing that sense.

12. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Well I'm buying the iPad Pro and if I don't like it and wait for the Air 3, I can always sell the Pro for a considerable amount against an iPad air 3 IMHO

13. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

The Pro will definitely be a more premium device. The 4 speaker system, larger display, blazing fast chip, etc... but it comes at a price.

If weight and portability is a factor, then wait for iPad Air 3. If you just need it for your couch or occasional work, I'd get a pro.

Fair warning though, 1.56lbs is heavy. I was using the 13.5" surfacebook display the other day as a breakoff tablet (also weighs 1.56lbs), and I had to use it by holding it clipboard style on my forearm. I assume iPad Pro will be a bit more ergonomic than this, but you still have a whole lot of torque to reverse when you hold iPad Pro.

14. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

I'm also in this situation of deciding what to do. Do I go with the iPad Pro with its bigger screen and more power but higher cost or do I wait and go with the Air 3 (if/when it's released) with its host of expected improvements like 3D Touch, faster possibly A9X chip (slightly down clocked from the Pro), better camera's, etc and better price point for me? I personally use my iPad's for media consumption so the bigger screen and better speakers on the Pro would be a bonus.

Think I'll just try the iPad Pro when it comes out and see what my impressions are then. I recommend the OP do the same.

15. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Just get iPP with 4gb ram.

16. mcorleone thread starter macrumors regular

mcorleone

I can relate here. I got my iPad 3 right at launch. (my first iPad). Then Apple goes ahead and releases a more powerful version about 6 months later. I bet those who bought the iPad Air 2 at launch are feeling pretty pleased with themselves about now...

17. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Bear in mind that the Pro is essentially already obsolete as it doesn't feature 3D touch, something that is pretty much guaranteed to feature in the next wave of iPads (in my opinion obviously as there is no proof of this)

18. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I was all over the iPad 3 at launch and couldn't believe it when they released the 4 so soon.

I walked into a store on launch and bought the iPad Air, then bought the Mini 2 and returned the Air. This year I got the Air 2 on launch and passed down the Mini 2.

19. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

That's never a good advice. You know, the minute we see Apple products we're hooked. All that Apple needs is for us to get into those doors. Haha

20. cynics macrumors G4

I did the same thing. On that note the iPad Air 2 has been great, I'm really pleased with it. If you can find one cheap enough (staples, target) I wouldn't completely discount it yet. Just depends on how urgently you want something. Its literally night and day when it comes to performance compared to the iPad 3.

21. Cakefish macrumors 6502

Cakefish

- It won't be quite as powerful as the Pro (battery limitations, potentially thermals too), so if that's important to you, get the Pro.
    - It may or may not have the four speaker configuration (Apple may keep this exclusive to the Pro).
    - You could be waiting anywhere between 5-11 months for the Air 3 to be up for sale (do you have the patience to wait?).

22. mcorleone thread starter macrumors regular

mcorleone

As it is, my old iPad 3 is still functional for what I use it for; (reading, web browsing, Netflix, some gaming etc...) so I'm in no dire need. I decided to wait for the Air 3. I may not be content with the ergonomics of the Pro. I've used other's iPad Airs before and I love the lightweight feel to it. Mine is pretty heavy by comparison and I can see getting around with the larger screen to be a pain. I'm still not quite used to my oversized iPhone 6+ if that is any indication.

23. shr631 macrumors member

True. Attempting to simulate the feel of holding and manipulating a heavier ipad, I've slipped my ipad 3 put of its case. I believe IP3 weighs 23.35 oz (cellular version) while the base IPP weighs 25.12 oz. Of course the larger dimensions of the IPP will allow for new ways to prop it up, and the form factor might beneficially influence the perceived distribution of weight making it seem lighter. But I agree, 1.56 lbs is heavy indeed! Probably something to consider for folks planning to hold IPP in the same way as an Air 2 or a Mini.

24. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Air 3 will be more powerful than Pro BUT 2017 Pro is a beast than Air 3. Hard decision for you?

25. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

... or maybe the Air 3 will be a minor upgrade from the Air 2 (like the Mini 3 was over the Mini 2)