iPad Pro Pencil 2 will it be 2016 or 2017?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget.guy, Aug 30, 2016.

1. gadget.guy macrumors regular

What are the current rumours regarding the ipad pro pencil 2 will it be this year or next i'm eager to get the current version but i'm willing to wait until after the 7th but i can't really find anything online about this.

2. Skika, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016

Skika macrumors 68030

What are you looking for/expecting in apple pencil 2? I personally think it will be years before the pencil is updated based on how they update their keyboards and mice/peripherals.

To answer your question, there are no rumors of an improved pencil, at least not that i know of.

3. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

An eraser... ;)

4. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

this.gif

This is my only complaint, even tho I can understand why it doesn't have one, it's just after using a Cintiq for so long, not being able to flip the stylus and erase is so weird.

5. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

6. RudySnow, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016

RudySnow macrumors 6502

RudySnow

There are no Apple Pen 2 upgrade rumors. The rumor is a software expansion to the capabilities of the current Apple Pencil.

7. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

This, of course :p

pencils.png

8. gadget.guy thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your replies i have seen rumours that the apple pencil will somehow work with macbooks via the force touch pad but i assume that would would be for the newer macbook pro range later this year. As others have mentioned in numerous different threads i've read on the pencil not much needs to change with it other than the addition of a rubber so i might as well purchase obviously after the 7th just in case !

9. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

There needs to be a new pencil...the lifespan of the current model is short...alot of people will have pencils failing to charge within a year...its a defect in the current apple pencil...happened twice to me

10. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Art pencils don't have erasers.

11. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

That's great, lets gimp technological progress then since it wasn't there before computers came along anyway. While we're at it, turn off the backlight too because it's not like paper is lit up. Also get rid of the glass and put paper there, just to make it more realistic for the purists.

Lolz

12. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Jony will make it thinner. But not until next year.

13. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

it would be great if it's compatible with the first gen ipp too :)

14. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

I think you missed the point, whether on purpose or accident. Look at the design, look at the marketing. They made it like they did because they wanted it to look and feel like an art pencil.

15. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

Doesn't mean they're going to gimp functionality to match an art pencil. They're selling a tech product - it wouldn't make sense for them to provide exactly the same physical limitations for no apparent reason. They're going to make it feel familiar, but they shouldn't make it exactly match the limitations of a traditional pencil. What would be the point then?

Oh it was definitely on purpose. That's a pretty bad argument.

16. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Having an eraser on the back would be crap design. Period.

17. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

Nope. The Surface does it and it works great. Period comma slash star exclamation mark

18. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

The Surface Pen doesn't have to charge from the back. And I don't see that changing anytime soon.

19. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

Some might call the Apple Pencil's charging mechanism "crap design. Period"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

They might, but likely because they don't understand the mechanical difference between how Apple's Pencil works and how other people do it.

21. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

I would actually not be allowed to coloured pencils. It does make sense they could have them displayed in store in an Apple colour pencil pack and you just select the one you want and take it out of the pack.

From the start they were showcasing the artistic capabilities of the Apple Pencil with the iPad Pro. Design constraints may of played a part but this is the product they released and as far as we know this is what was intended ... for it to resemble an artists pencil.

And how is the functionality gimped ? It is smooth, precise, easy to hold, responds to pressure and tilt .... other than it not having this fabled eraser makes it so gimped. It is a very sophisticated piece of technology for what is a stylus.

The Surface Pen is not great. It is alright until the tips start wearing down which is quite quickly and the metallic finish starts wearing and that sort of hard rubberised eraser looks dirty and I think could damage your screen.

However depending on the app you are using on the Surface the eraser does not work anyway.

I also question it is less of a bother and overall quicker to tap erase and than turning the stylus around constantly.

I for one don't want an eraser on the back of the Pencil. The only thing I like about the Surface Pen is the eraser button has quick launch actions. I would love to quickly be able to access Notes and screen capture on an iPad Pro or even Siri. ( if Siri was any good )

Instead you get a battery that should last 12 months and then it needs throwing away. What a waste. I will take a rechargeable product anytime.

Except that is not the typical action of a user. I agree a female port on the Pen with a Male to Male cable would be more user friendly in one respect but it is more to carry. They focused more on portability than functionality with this method but the fact is someone was careless and damaged a connector. That can happen with any connector.

There is no need to be sensationalist about it. People just need to be careful with the possessions frankly.

22. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

They should follow samsung's smart pen implementation....pencil is too bulky and charging is cumbersome......

23. RudySnow macrumors 6502

RudySnow

Whoopsie! Looks like it's Apple's fault that you didn't use the Lightning adapter to charge the pencil, and it's Apple's fault you dropped your iPad.

24. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

The amount of apologizing for Apple's bad decisions and general brand loyalty on these forums is quite astounding sometimes. Guess I forgot I was on macrumors after all.

b-b-but you're not using it right

Same people that defended the antenna of the iPhone 4, the scratching of the iPhone 5, the bending of the iPhone 6, and the dust problems of the iPhone 6s. Now having a pencil that literally sticks out the side is being hailed as good design. You really can't win with these people.

25. RudySnow macrumors 6502

RudySnow

Fords don't have rubber bumpers. If you are careless with their products and hit something, you can cause extensive damage. Now, if that happens, is that "bad design?"

Apple didn't provide only one method for charging the Pencil. There are (gasp!) TWO, and one doesn't involve walking around like a schmuck trying to bring their Pencil to a full charge with an elongated piece of plastic sticking out the side of a 13-inch rectangle. Quick charge means exactly that.

"These people," man... I suppose next you'll argue it's "bad design" that iPads don't have rubber bumpers, either, in case you drop and shatter it, and then break your pencil. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯