iPad Pro Pencil w/ Astropad (not my video)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ksb315, Nov 16, 2015.

1. ksb315 macrumors newbie

This is very very impressive:

and note he's using astropad over wifi! Come on apple we need our pencils!! :p

2. nickyD410 macrumors 6502

nickyD410

Why, Why did you have to post this! No its killing me that my pencil order wont come until the middle of December. Lets hope the stores get stock before then.

3. ara-mia macrumors member

ara-mia

Ah, thank you so much for sharing this!! I took a risk and sold my Cintiq Companion ahead of the iPad Pro launch, hoping that something like this would work well for my needs--beyond thrilled to see that it looks like I won't have cause to miss it at all!!

4. fieldsphotos macrumors 6502

Very cool app! Too bad it only works with Macs. My workhorse photoshop machine is a PC, so it wouldn't work for me. (I'm kinda glad it doesn't actually, as it removes my temptation to buy an iPad Pro when I just upgraded my MacBook to a Vaio to gain stylus functionality)

5. biosci macrumors 6502a

I wonder if there could be useful applications for Astropad but in the video space...

6. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

I don't see why the developers couldn't adapt Astropad for Final Cut Pro X...

7. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Whenever people question how the iPad Pro can be used professionally when it can't run desktop CS, this was always my answer. So glad it's just as magical for him too.

8. nickyD410 macrumors 6502

nickyD410

[​IMG]

9. yalag macrumors 65816

He didnt even show any drawing done. Doesn't it lag over wifi?

10. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

There is a slight lag and some mpg jaggies here and there. It's actually not too bad unless you stare at the OSX screen while you draw. If you draw on the iPad, it's actually pretty smooth and doesn't seem really lagged at all.

11. yalag macrumors 65816

You have used it? Do you mind uploading a small video clip? I can't seem to find anyone demo'ing it

12. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

I use Astropad with my Air 2 and the lag is only present over wifi with a poor connection OR when far away from the router. I have my router in the room next to my office and when the connection is decent (stupid comcast) there is virtually no lag, just like when connected via USB.

13. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I think the application creates a temporary buffer between the screen and the computer. Since you won't be looking up to see the computer monitor - you will be focused on the tablet. I don't think lag is important - i think reduced pen lag from the input of the pen to the tablet is suffice.

On a side note: How many people watch this video was envious that he had a Apple pencil...???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

What's wrong with Astropad and Final Cut Pro X? It seems to work just fine. It's only when you playback video, the video is pixelated due to refresh but you can assemble clips, scrub video, and add transitions. Granted, all of this isn't touch/tablet optimized but it still basically works. IMO, iMovie on iOS could probably do most of the simpler video edits faster than Final Cut Pro X.

15. Atomic Walrus, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015

Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

The lag is also highly dependent on the power of the host machine because you're doing video capture, encode, stream there.

The good news is that GPU manufacturers are building hardware video capture tech into modern cards for game play recording and streaming, and gamers are really focused on lag. Steam home streaming has proved that you can get good video quality with ~25ms lag. Now we just need a PC version of the host software... a Mac desktop is not an option for a lot of people.

16. goomba478 macrumors regular

WOW!!!! My mind was just blown. I had heard of the Astropad app in the past and thought it sounded like it'd be some sort of vapor-ware or pie-in-the-sky type thing but watching this just gave me a LOT of hope. I had resisted the Cintiq for ages because of what he said: tons of cables, adapters, etc. and the fact that my local machine wasn't a powerhouse to begin with. This functionality for the iPad essentially means you could sketch something natively on the IPP, send it to your Mac and edit it with Astropad. Reviews like this are going to make every serious artist take note :).

I do wonder: can you use Astropad with animation software like Toon Boom? Or is it Photoshop only?

17. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

It's not specifically app dependent. It'll work with pretty much any piece of software that can accept inputs via mouse. It does work a bit better with some vs others (e.g. pressure sensitivity doesn't work currently in Illustrator but does in Photoshop), so you'll have to experiment, or you can tweet them and ask!

18. ara-mia macrumors member

ara-mia

Well, I got my Pencil today, and I'm very disappointed that I'm not having even remotely the same positive experience as the artist in the video above. I'm getting a weird "blow-out" effect on the ends of strokes in both of my usual working applications (Photoshop and Clip Studio Paint).

astropad_strokes.png

Just a fair warning to anyone who's expecting Cintiq-quality perfection straight out of the box--the software is still in beta (and announces as much when you connect the iPad Pro to your Mac), and there are issues. Unfortunately, it's not usable to me until this particular problem is fixed. Huge let-down to say the least…!

19. fieldsphotos macrumors 6502

That is unfortunate. I wonder if he tweaked some settings to get it working, or if it's a difference in the Photoshop versions, etc.

I assume the pencil doesn't exhibit the splotches in a iOS app like procreate?

20. ara-mia macrumors member

ara-mia

I'd like to know, too! It's possible that it's not an issue (or at least not obvious) when firmer, more consistent pressure is applied per stroke. I have a very, very light touch, so that may be a contributing factor--I've posted on the app's forum and hope to be able to share some useful information with the developers that way.

iOS apps are totally fine; no issues in any of the ones I've tested (Notes, Procreate, Paper, Concepts).

21. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Astropad is good but it has its limitations. There is no cursor or anything to indicate where the finger, pencil, or stylus is. There is also the issue with sensitivity and compatibility with existing apps on OSX. Oh, regarding the splotch thing, it could be caused by false positive recognition of a stroke especially if you flick your tip at the end of a stroke. While iOS apps may not have that issue, Astropad may have that issue due to the refresh and orientation.

22. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Reach out to the Devs via twitter or the Astropad community website. They're happy to help troubleshoot.

23. Chuck Rodent macrumors member

Chuck Rodent

I went ahead and purchased Astropad for my iPad Pro and Mac Pro 6.1 before my Pencil shows up. For the time being it works quite well with a dumb stylus (Adonit Jot Pro). Using the stylus to retouch some photos in Pixelmator works well so long as you are not making rapid strokes, which you don't do when retouching anyway. The software allows you to use scaled or 100% viewing options on the iPad. Using the 4k screen on the Mac, there is actually not enough screen area on the iPad Pro! Anyway, the Astropad linkage with a Lightning cable is plenty accurate enough for me, and adding the pressure sensitivity with the pencil will be great. Before I have used a small Wacom tablet on a PC.

24. ara-mia macrumors member

ara-mia

Thanks! I made a post yesterday on the community site, but no response so far from anyone. I'll definitely report back here if I should hear back from the devs!

25. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Hope they get back to you soon! Best of luck!