Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Seriously, the 32GB model only Wi-Fi, which forces the user to purchase the more expensive model if they need a mobile connection.

I think Apple has lost its vision and it simply appears to be profit-driven these days...

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
Seriously, the 32GB model only Wi-Fi, which forces the user to purchase the more expensive model if they need a mobile connection.

I think Apple has lost its vision and it simply appears to be profit-driven these days...
Profits are kind of important for a shareholder owned company.......since the companies goal is to maximize shareholder wealth.......

The beauty of a capitalist economy is that if it's too expensive, no one will buy it, forcing them
to discontinue it or lower the price.

If loads of people buy it, then from an economic perspective, it was priced correctly.

joeallen

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2014

Nobody is being forced to buy anything... I get this all the time even with my <$6 products.

Those are the products on offer... You are perfectly free to do exactly as you wish. No purchase necessary.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Apple wants you to have a full blown product and thats it the 128 gb lte...i think 32gb is for those who want to try it or just for fun and some streaming maybe
But for those who use ipad al lot and have music,media apps, they need storage.. i think the reworked adobe apps for ipad pro will have at least 200mb each

MF878

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I think it's more a case of Apple trying to limit the number of SKUs. The Pencil and Smart Keyboard only come in a single colour. The Smart Cover and Silicone Case only come in two colours, despite being available in something like ten for the Air and mini. Across the board there is clear evidence that they're holding back to start with. If the Pro is well received, I see the Pro 2 potentially shifting to a 64GB base, gaining a 256GB option (if not next year, it'll definitely be the first iOS device to gain this storage tier when it eventually does), and having cellular models across the board.

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Nobody is being forced to buy anything... I get this all the time even with my <$6 products.

Those are the products on offer... You are perfectly free to do exactly as you wish. No purchase necessary.

You've missed the point.

If you want an iPad Pro and need mobile you have no option but to purchase the more expensive model.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020

Of course there's some greed involved... Here's a secret: Apple is a company, and making a profit is their number one priority. That price for the 32GB is a joke, but IMO it's a smart business plan by Apple to get people to go for the 128GB LTE.
Also, It's the same with Microsoft, Google, Samsung, Sony, LG, and so on. Those latter companies may have more affordable products, but those cheaper products are because of the cheaper parts. The biggest thing though is that Apple isn't just about the great tech they make... Their name is also what your paying for. If you don't like what Apple is doing don't buy it. Simple as that. I too think the prices for their products suck, yet I also know the products they make are quality and for my use they'll be worth every penny in the long run.

*note, I'm not bashing any of the above companies, (Microsoft, Samsung, Google, and everyone) they do make top notch products, but they still make pieces of junk too. ;)

Kal.

Reactions: Rina11 and AJsAWiz

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012

Apple makes top notch products..you have to pay to play :).

If profits weren't so high, what would motivate companies like Apple to keep innovating?

Reactions: AJsAWiz

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
You've missed the point.

If you want an iPad Pro and need mobile you have no option but to purchase the more expensive model.
Or you could just pair it with an iPhone via tethering or a mobile hotspot. If mobile access is important to you and you're happy with the 32gb model there are other options that a nearly-$300 upgrade you don't need.

Reactions: Ecoh

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
If I truly believe that an item isn't worth the "price of admission" or it's more than I'm willing to pay I just don't buy it. It just seems senseless, to me, to complain about the prices of things, especially when there is nothing you can do about it.

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Or you could just pair it with an iPhone via tethering or a mobile hotspot. If mobile access is important to you and you're happy with the 32gb model there are other options that a nearly-$300 upgrade you don't need.
Fair point

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
i think the 'poorer' here see it differently than the more well off. and there's a pretty big mix here.

There are things I can't afford as well but I don't complain about it nor do I expect the price of a Lamborghini to drop so that I can get one. That's life or as my mother used to sing "You Can't Have Everything . . . . be satisfied with the little you may get . . . so thank your stars above, for a song in your heart, a penny in your pocket and someone in your life to love."

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
You've missed the point.

Whether or not to purchase an item is a choice, perhaps limited resources plays a role but it's still a choice. I don't believe that the point was missed by most. I believe that judahde was correct it is, indeed, an option.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Considering the size, I think the iPad Pro is less mobile, and thus LTE is not that crucial.

joeallen

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2014
You've missed the point.

What you're saying is entirely correct...

You want this product, and you need the pricier option they offer.

There's no rule on what they should and shouldn't do. Why didn't they introduce a plastic-cased 16GB version so they're not forcing us to pay extra for the 32GB storage and nice metal enclose? That's just the product.

If I want a new car and need cruise control for example, I have to buy a much more expensive model with many more features.

Reactions: burgman

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
You clearly didn't read my post correctly.
Of course we did, you and others think the product is too expensive with limited choices. Since this is a new product in a tablet market that is declining it makes sense to start like this. If it sells well then I assume more choices would be available later. If it turns out to be a niche product for professionals and business, with little consumer interest then Probably not. The response to you is obvious, don't like it, don't buy it. Calling Apple greedy because of this product is amusing.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
What you're saying is entirely correct...

You want this product, and you need the pricier option they offer.

There's no rule on what they should and shouldn't do. Why didn't they introduce a plastic-cased 16GB version so they're not forcing us to pay extra for the 32GB storage and nice metal enclose? That's just the product.

If I want a new car and need cruise control for example, I have to buy a much more expensive model with many more features.

Are you as young as you look in the photo or is that really you? Just curious.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Apple should have just skipped the 32 gb option and released a 128 gb model.

But then people would still find something to complain about.

Reactions: appledefenceforce
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.