iPad Pro - pure greed

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Liam Steven, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Liam Steven macrumors regular

Seriously, the 32GB model only Wi-Fi, which forces the user to purchase the more expensive model if they need a mobile connection.

I think Apple has lost its vision and it simply appears to be profit-driven these days...

2. Serban Suspended

bla bla bla surface pro is wifi only all for 2000$

3. thedon1 macrumors 6502

Profits are kind of important for a shareholder owned company.......since the companies goal is to maximize shareholder wealth.......

The beauty of a capitalist economy is that if it's too expensive, no one will buy it, forcing them
    to discontinue it or lower the price.

If loads of people buy it, then from an economic perspective, it was priced correctly.

4. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i think the 'poorer' here see it differently than the more well off. and there's a pretty big mix here.

5. joeallen macrumors member

joeallen

Nobody is being forced to buy anything... I get this all the time even with my <$6 products.

Those are the products on offer... You are perfectly free to do exactly as you wish. No purchase necessary.

6. Serban Suspended

Apple wants you to have a full blown product and thats it the 128 gb lte...i think 32gb is for those who want to try it or just for fun and some streaming maybe
    But for those who use ipad al lot and have music,media apps, they need storage.. i think the reworked adobe apps for ipad pro will have at least 200mb each

7. MF878 macrumors regular

MF878

I think it's more a case of Apple trying to limit the number of SKUs. The Pencil and Smart Keyboard only come in a single colour. The Smart Cover and Silicone Case only come in two colours, despite being available in something like ten for the Air and mini. Across the board there is clear evidence that they're holding back to start with. If the Pro is well received, I see the Pro 2 potentially shifting to a 64GB base, gaining a 256GB option (if not next year, it'll definitely be the first iOS device to gain this storage tier when it eventually does), and having cellular models across the board.

8. Liam Steven thread starter macrumors regular

You've missed the point.

If you want an iPad Pro and need mobile you have no option but to purchase the more expensive model.

9. judahde macrumors member

The key word is "option". YOU have the option to buy another product.

10. Macalway macrumors 68000

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I wouldn't characterize it as "pure greed" since these are discretionary purchases.

That said, the $150 price bump just for 96GB of extra memory is bound to make anyone capable of googling, "flash memory prices", feel a tad ripped off.

12. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Of course there's some greed involved... Here's a secret: Apple is a company, and making a profit is their number one priority. That price for the 32GB is a joke, but IMO it's a smart business plan by Apple to get people to go for the 128GB LTE.
    Also, It's the same with Microsoft, Google, Samsung, Sony, LG, and so on. Those latter companies may have more affordable products, but those cheaper products are because of the cheaper parts. The biggest thing though is that Apple isn't just about the great tech they make... Their name is also what your paying for. If you don't like what Apple is doing don't buy it. Simple as that. I too think the prices for their products suck, yet I also know the products they make are quality and for my use they'll be worth every penny in the long run.

*note, I'm not bashing any of the above companies, (Microsoft, Samsung, Google, and everyone) they do make top notch products, but they still make pieces of junk too. ;)

Kal.

13. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

Apple makes top notch products..you have to pay to play :).

If profits weren't so high, what would motivate companies like Apple to keep innovating?

14. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Or you could just pair it with an iPhone via tethering or a mobile hotspot. If mobile access is important to you and you're happy with the 32gb model there are other options that a nearly-$300 upgrade you don't need.

15. Liam Steven thread starter macrumors regular

You clearly didn't read my post correctly.

16. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

If I truly believe that an item isn't worth the "price of admission" or it's more than I'm willing to pay I just don't buy it. It just seems senseless, to me, to complain about the prices of things, especially when there is nothing you can do about it.

17. Liam Steven thread starter macrumors regular

Fair point

18. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

There are things I can't afford as well but I don't complain about it nor do I expect the price of a Lamborghini to drop so that I can get one. That's life or as my mother used to sing "You Can't Have Everything . . . . be satisfied with the little you may get . . . so thank your stars above, for a song in your heart, a penny in your pocket and someone in your life to love."

19. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Whether or not to purchase an item is a choice, perhaps limited resources plays a role but it's still a choice. I don't believe that the point was missed by most. I believe that judahde was correct it is, indeed, an option.

20. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Considering the size, I think the iPad Pro is less mobile, and thus LTE is not that crucial.

21. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Or buy the Wifi only one and use the personal hotspot on your mobile phone?

22. joeallen macrumors member

joeallen

What you're saying is entirely correct...

You want this product, and you need the pricier option they offer.

There's no rule on what they should and shouldn't do. Why didn't they introduce a plastic-cased 16GB version so they're not forcing us to pay extra for the 32GB storage and nice metal enclose? That's just the product.

If I want a new car and need cruise control for example, I have to buy a much more expensive model with many more features.

23. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Of course we did, you and others think the product is too expensive with limited choices. Since this is a new product in a tablet market that is declining it makes sense to start like this. If it sells well then I assume more choices would be available later. If it turns out to be a niche product for professionals and business, with little consumer interest then Probably not. The response to you is obvious, don't like it, don't buy it. Calling Apple greedy because of this product is amusing.

24. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Are you as young as you look in the photo or is that really you? Just curious.

25. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Apple should have just skipped the 32 gb option and released a 128 gb model.

But then people would still find something to complain about.