Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
To be honest, I would of been happy all along if the iPad had ALWAYS been available in a 12" version.

I have always thought, and always said if you wish to check back over the years that, for me, and to me the iPad has always been too small.

From the moment I unpacked my iPad1, I thought, ohhh, it's a bit small, and my opinion has never changed.

And to every single person who says NO. No one wants a larger iPad.
Remember how you all said no one wanted a larger phone either, and look how that's selling.

Without ANY question, even if Apple did zero, other than increase the size to 12" and did nothing else, there would be a lot of people who would choose the larger screen if it was an option in-store.

Even if you don't like them, lots of people do.

It's great to have a choice.

If I'm honest, I'd probably like a 14" or 15" for viewing video, playing games, editing documents, and enjoying web pages on.
I know I'll never get it, but at least 12+" is getting there.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
For what it counts, I really don't care about a gigantic almost unusable iPad.
What I really want is a 13" MacBook air with retina display.
Not a 12".
Just a 13" MacBook air with retina display.
Is it so difficult????

Maybe these rumors are for the next generation MacBook Air, which just happens to have a lot of iPad-like features.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
If they make them, we'll buy a few dozen of these.

If they come up with a way to run OS X & iOS as previously rumored, I'll never be critical of anything from them ever again, I promise.

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
As long as it is THE THINNEST IPAD PRO WE'VE EVER MADE, I will buy it.

That is the only benchmark I want from Apple any more. Thinner. Like the Stephen King book. I want it all thinner. Even the coding.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
In the iPad forum, there are people clamoring for them, if that translates into consumers wanting one, is another thing.

On this forum, if Apple will release a 12" iPad there will be people clamoring for a 16" one....

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Features like a proper digitizer with support for pressure sensitive styluses.

Yup, without proper N-trig or Wacom support, this will be pretty much DOA among serious tablet users - ones that do require proper stylus support. For not much more money, one can get a Surface Pro 3, with an N-trig stylus and, of course, much more serious productivity apps. (And multitasking.)

With capacitive-only screens like that of iPads, it's impossible to provide for even acceptable stylus experience. Anyone stating the opposite hasn't ever used any radio pen (N-trig or Wacom) on tablets.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
That would be fantastic indeed. My Macbook Air is my main computer, over 2 years old but still going strong (except the battery only has half capacity now... I might have to take that "service battery" more seriously). I love how it's silent, the built-in speakers and display are flawless, keyboard and trackpad are comfortable.

A tablet running full OS X would be very cool, especially with a keyboard-dock for being productive.

After almost four years my MBP battery still is at 96% of original capacity. Really impressive.

----------

the iPad pro will come with keyboard,

it is targeted to compete with surface pro

Compete? Do you really think Apple has to compete with a surface???

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
For what it counts, I really don't care about a gigantic almost unusable iPad.
What I really want is a 13" MacBook air with retina display.
Not a 12".
Just a 13" MacBook air with retina display.
Is it so difficult????

----------

Did you ever use a 12" tablet? I tried the Samsung and believe me it is absolutely awkward to handle.

Yeah, I like the size of the surface tablets. I only use my iPad at home and would love a bigger one that has more productivity features and if this is true about better speakers ill be very happy. I'll admit it's a niche device and most people will likely prefer the iPad air size. I pretty much want a surface pro that runs iOS and apple to make the apps for iOS more powerful and feature rich when using the bigger screen. The thing is what I want will be hard to pull off software wise so I'm happy to wait until someone can do it well.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Look at the past financial results posted, sales are flat, in fact for the first time in years Apple sold more Macs then iPads. I'm not saying Apple is losing money, but unlike the iPhone, sales are not increasing.

Analysts Predict Flat iPad Sales for Q3 2014, Slight Increase in iPhone Sales

What are you talking about? They sold more than twice as many iPads as Macs. They're down again but everyone knows they will be back up for holiday season because they just released the best iPad ever.

As far as the long game, they do need to address iPad sales which will probably dip next year too. Perhaps between an air, mini and pro model, they could stagger releases to every other year for one or all of them. These no point in releasing all models on an annual schedule if you cannot generate enough demand for them each year.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
On this forum, if Apple will release a 12" iPad there will be people clamoring for a 16" one....

Well, given that the Panasonic Toughpad is 20", it's pretty understandable there are users asking for large tablets.

Of course, it'd also need to provide

- at least 4K resolution
- Wacom or N-trig stylus support
- decent split-screen multitasking.

Without these, no sane person would purchase an enlarged 16"+ iPad at mostly likely highly elevated prices Apple will be going to ask for.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Maybe these rumors are for the next generation MacBook Air, which just happens to have a lot of iPad-like features.

Yep. I really suspect they are getting rumours about a 12" retina display, targeted to the new MacBook air, and made up this rumor about a gigantic iPad....

Still not happy: I want a 13" MacBook air....

----------

A 4:3 tablet would be preferred and easier to handle than a 16:10 one.

Just slightly easier.... You'll still get uncomfortable after a few minutes of use out of a support.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Sounds promising. Just a few "must-haves" for this to be a "must-buy" for me:

• Active digitizer/pen (in addition to existing capacitive functionality)
  • Split window
  • support for bluetooth mouse
Other things like support for removable media would be great but I doubt that would happen.

Benched08

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2014
I don't understand why the rumored 12" Air refresh and 12" iPad are two products. Especially because the only way Apple is going to sell an iPad that large is if it borrows some desktop interface and functionality.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Well, given that the Panasonic Toughpad is 20", it's pretty understandable there are users asking for large tablets.

Of course, it'd also need to provide

- at least 4K resolution
- Wacom or N-trig stylus support
- decent split-screen multitasking.

Without these, no sane person would purchase an enlarged 16"+ iPad at mostly likely highly elevated prices Apple will be going to ask for.
How high market share has the Panasonic 20" in the worldwide market? 0.01%?
Apple is hardly targeting that kind of market.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
They're down again but everyone knows they will be back up for holiday season because they just released the best iPad ever.

...If you ignore the lack of a mute/lock switch.

And the sound vibrations.

And the screen distortion.

And if you evaluate an iPad based on how thin it is. Then, I'm sure the newest iPad is the "best iPad ever". Too bad it's far from being better enough from the old ones to make people actually excited about upgrading.

The iPads are failing. Because Apple has failed to innovate. And so, they can't find ways to give people reasons to update their old iPads, other than the rabid fanboys who would have bought anything regardless. Slightly thinner, slightly faster and with a slightly better camera (but no flash, LOL) don't cut it anymore.

Especially because the only way Apple is going to sell an iPad that large is if it borrows some desktop interface and functionality.

Hah! I wish! Wait and you will see how the iPad Pro still has a maximum of 9 icons on display within a folder.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

And if you evaluate an iPad based on how thin it is. Then, I'm sure the newest iPad is the "best iPad ever". Too bad it's far from being better enough from the old ones to make people actually excited about upgrading.

The iPads are failing. Because Apple has failed to innovate. And so, they can't find ways to give people reasons to update their old iPads, other than the rabid fanboys who would have bought anything regardless. Slightly thinner, slightly faster and with a slightly better camera (but no flash, LOL) don't cut it anymore.

Hah! I wish! Wait and you will see how the iPad Pro still has a maximum of 9 icons on display within a folder.
Lack of what? Functionalities are still there.
Sounds vibrations? Do you really use the mono speaker of the iPad for music???
Screen distortion? What are you speaking about???

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
What about an HDMI port

That is a very bad idea. It is very un-Apple like. That is what AppleTV is for. You don't want a touch screen device tied by a wire to a TV.

----------

There is no 9 icon limitation in any device. I can have unlimited icons on my iPhone per folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.