iPad Pro's bending issue (merged)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Doomoo, Jun 19, 2017.

1. jabbok macrumors member

I just got mine yesterday set it up and was using different apps I thought it looked a bit odd seems like it's bowed, so I am probably sending it back.

I also noticed that nothing fills up the entire screen, I tried games, movies, apps none of them fill the screen I checked all the settings etc. couldn't find anything. I have the iPad pro 10.5 and everything on there fills up the screen.

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

3. puma1552 macrumors 603

Knew this was coming.

My Air 2 - and every other one I saw when I purchased mine and the couple I swapped out - were all curved in the same convex manner with respect to the screen.

Easiest way to check? Hold the iPad up out in front of you at nose/mouth level in the vertical plane, with one of the long sides facing towards the sky and look down the thin, long side at like a 10-20 degree angle, and it will become obvious how curved it is. It actually was enough to make me never really like my Air 2.

4. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

5. treichert macrumors 6502

6. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

7. Finfin macrumors newbie

The pencil doesn’t appear to be bent, it sits on the magnetic side flush. Also checked it against a ruler.

Attached Files:

8. Absrnd macrumors 6502a

Absrnd

you should never put the iPad Pro in your back pocket, and sit down :rolleyes:

9. Skika macrumors 68030

10. Zune55 macrumors 6502a

Zune55

There’s a video on YouTube which shows that this iPad is flimsy.

Shouldn’t be put into backpack.

11. fm_carv Suspended

fm_carv

12. killhippie, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018

killhippie macrumors regular

killhippie

Are you sure that Apple pencil isn't a ICBM!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2018 ---
    Shouldn't be on sale if its that easy to bend, that frame is weak, and the glass being that thin is a surprise. Even if the glass was intact I think it will bend to easily and considering how easily Lithium-Ion batteries are damaged, this seems like a really bad design. No matter how careful you are accidents happen, and at this price point it is going to be a painful experience.

When will Apple realise that shaving off a few mm here and there for cost saving and aesthetics equals that old issue of form over function. Think I'll wait for next years model that is made maybe from stronger aluminium and thicker glass. I guess the old adage never buy revision one of a new design still applies.

13. flowave macrumors member

Yeah, I think it's too fragile. I think the iPad Pro might even bend when I use it on my (quite strong) spring loaded tablet stand. Also, I don't think Apple Care will cover it.

14. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

As large of a surface area and as thin as the 1st gen 12.9 Pro is, I never felt that it was flimsy. These 3rd gen Pros really do look more delicate. And the camera bump is even more pronounced than ever... which probably explains why Apple didn't make a smartcover for these. The Folio case helps offset the bump so that the iPad can sit flat on a table.

Apple knows what they're doing. The increased flimsiness benefits them. Not only do shave off a few pennies on the cost of making them by using less material (thinner glass and aluminum), but they also make some serious money on selling AppleCare. Videos like that won't deter anyone from buying the Pros but it will sell AppleCare to more iPad Pro buyers.

15. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

You and me both. I must be the luckiest Apple consumer ever, never have any issues like these.

16. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

17. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

18. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

On the other end of the spectrum is the lowly Fire HD 10:
    Jump to 3:40 for the drop/smash test...

19. Bwrin1 macrumors regular

Bwrin1

so I got my 12.9” 256gb cellular on launch day. I saw the video from everythingapplepro on YouTube. I wasn’t too worried because I assumed it was like that since the integrity of the device was faulty from all the drops. But today I realized mine has a slight bend. In less than a week it’s bent. Just had it in my backpack after a weekend of travel. Im disappointed on how easily this is able to bend. Time for a otter box defender

Attached Files:

20. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Yikes, that is more than a slight bend. I would return it and get a new one, and then get a case.

21. droog Suspended

droog

Wow. That's absolutely inexcusable. Especially considering the price point. I'd be furious.

22. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

23. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Even a OtterBox case will not stop from bending if in a backpack and say someone steps on it. No matter what everyone thinks these a pretty delicate piece of electronics. The iPad would have to remain between two very hard surfaces.

24. chabig macrumors 601

Guys...he bent it didn’t come that way. He can gently flex it back, put a case on, and all will be well.

25. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

I knew this would be the result of making it thinner and thinner. Compromising battery life and durability in the name of what? Nice marketing photos? Come on....