iPad Pro's bending issue (merged)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Doomoo, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Doomoo macrumors newbie

Coming from an iPad 3 first thing i noticed with my new 10.5 was they seem a bit..... well fragile. I guess if people want thin and light this is the result. You would need to take care carrying these in a backpack i would think. Opinions?

2. 0014 macrumors 6502a

I really don’t see the point in these videos on YouTube et al showing wether iPads/iPhones etc will bend, blend, survive stupid height drops etc.

Most normal people know that the stuff will bend/break under exertion of those sort of forces.

3. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

Put it between a couple of books in your pack.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That's horrible advice Steve. [Sarcasm].

In all seriousness, these videos are nothing more then worst-case scenario's and no one would treat their iPads disrespectfully and these videos are extreme situations of how easily they break. These "Will it bend" video's are borderline ridiculous and I can make the same argument about many electronic products that I own that could easily break if I did not use Caution with them.

5. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

The same people are responsible for the global warming hysteria. :)

6. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Cept global warming is real lol

7. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Even without an OtterBox case, you don't need it. It comes down to how somebody treats their investments and devices with care. Nobody intentionally treats their devices to intentionally break or bend.

9. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Of course, but I'm accident prone so I would need it. It's up to them whether they want protection or not, but those who need protection would do some good with this. I'm protection > beauty.

10. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Here's some advice for you: don't try to bend it in half and you'll be fine.

Next thread please...

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Make sure you don't keep your iPad Pro 12.9" in your backpocket, and you'll be safe.

12. GDF macrumors 6502

Does not seem any different than my 9.7 pro I have. Things really get overblown sometimes and especially if you are Apple.

13. Jesla macrumors 6502a

Jesla

Is it?... just keep repeating it long enough......

Given enough time an ape can destroy an anvil with a rubber mallet.....

These test prove nothing, really....

14. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Alright bud. You can believe whatever fantasy you want to.

15. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Your question should be asked and or tested under normal usage conditions. In my opinion, the video was made to illicit views, which create income for the creator. The video does not show normal usage. As such, it doesn't show normal usage results.

16. badmojo69 macrumors member

My Ipad Gen 1 wont bend. :)

17. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

My 12.9'actuakky did bend, and till today I have no clue how that happened.

18. Doomoo thread starter macrumors newbie

I do agree dropping from a certain height and purposely trying to bend is not normal useage and a bit silly, but i was still surprised at how little effort was required to bend it.

There has also been reports from people receiving curved (read bent) IPPs from new. I wonder if this can be classed as "normal usage"?

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That would be the only logical explanation I can think of. That if the iPad was not abused in anyway from the owner, then perhaps if it had a slight curve or bend not necessarily visible to the eye without blatantly looking at it, perhaps it did arrive from the factory that way until noticed. Always, iPads don't inexplicably bend for no reason. It Had to happen somehow.

20. darkarn macrumors 6502a

21. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

I have this 'thing' against clicking on YouTube clickbait, otherwise I'd have an idea of how "easy" it is to bend.

I have a first-gen iPad and a first-gen 12.9" iPad Pro. I can make either of them flex a bit, if I expend the effort (high rise buildings and bridges also flex, by design). However, I'm not going to try to see how far I have to flex them before they acquire a permanent bend - the 1,000th YouTube video of a bent iPad doesn't get quite as many clicks as the first.

Both iPads are in protective cases - extra rigidity and screen protection is a good idea. My devices' protective cases get pretty beaten up, but the equipment inside is still in great condition.

22. Finfin macrumors newbie

Hi all, I have just noticed that my brand new iPad Pro (bought on launch day) is very slightly bent. I was randomly looking at it from the side and it didn’t seem straight. I put it up against something known to be straight (ruler, Apple Pencil) and the iPad is apparently slightly bent.

It has only been in my backpack once. I placed it inside as I normally would with my iPad Pro 2nd gen. I have attached some pictures to illustrate the slight bend.

Is anyone else’s iPad bending this easily or is it just me?

Attached Files:

23. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

If you’ve got a LTE/WiFi model, my 11” one looks slightly bent also, just past the “antenna band” on both ends. But I can’t really tell if it’s an optical illusion due to that antenna strip or it’s truly bent. Mine came this way out of the box.

24. ConfusedChris macrumors regular

ConfusedChris

Part of the reason I have been holding off is because of the fear they made them too thin. I think I would have to get Applecare.
    Are we going with Bentgate or Bananagate?

25. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

This doesn’t seem like it’s a result of being “too thin.” This looks more to me like a manufacturing defect that happened when the machining incorporated the antenna “strip.” I’m not overly concerned about it since I have Apple Care anyways, but without a digital level I’m not sure I can attest mine is bent. Sure looks like though.