Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro bent?

• Yes

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 160 74.4%

• Total voters

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I think the bending issue is totally overblown, as with most things Apple related. Its gotten a bit ridiculous if you ask me.

Why would people complain about it if it's not an actual issue? That seems a bizarre thing to say. I've had my 12.9" replaced under warranty because of this.

Reactions: deaglecat

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
I kept my 11" with LTE that has a slight bow near the antenna lines, but im honestly thinking that there is a serious problem with these. I typically discount comments from relatively new posters, but I've seen a lot of 11" LTE iPad Pro's myself (all slightly bent/bowed) and then pictures from long time members here.
What’s wrong with newbies?

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Why would people complain about it if it's not an actual issue? That seems a bizarre thing to say. I've had my 12.9" replaced under warranty because of this.

I never said it wasn’t an issue. But I also don’t think every single iPad comes bent out of the box. I’ve had a 12.9 since launch and it’s straight as can be.

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
I picked up a 12.9 earlier this week, then had to exchange it the next day due to a bright spot on one side, and a weird shadow line on the other. Both iPads were perfectly straight out of the box.

Not saying it’s not happening, just that its not happening to every device.

xx22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
This is why Apple has the best customer service. They will let you lie to replace a bent product.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/apvtep/ipad_pro_2018_replacement_story/

Wrong. What that exceptionally helpful tech, "genius", who was risking his job, was actually telling the customer was that Apple was NOT going to replace bent Ipads if the bend was "within tolerance", so he had to write down something else to enable the customer to get a new one. If you read the thread further you will see that Apple very strongly discourages their techs from bending any of their rules in favor of the customer:

"It’s my understanding that the store is now fined for each instance of incorrect warranty coverage or issue classification."

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Wrong. What that exceptionally helpful tech, "genius", who was risking his job, was actually telling the customer was that Apple was NOT going to replace bent Ipads if the bend was "within tolerance", so he had to write down something else to enable the customer to get a new one. If you read the thread further you will see that Apple very strongly discourages their techs from bending any of their rules in favor of the customer:

"It’s my understanding that the store is now fined for each instance of incorrect warranty coverage or issue classification."

Some people detect the sarcasm and tongue in cheek, some people don’t.

everygrainofsand

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2018
Edinburgh, Scotland

I bet the 2019 updated iPad Pro mentioned in yesterday’s leak will absolutely come with a reinforced chasis with NO bending whatsoever. And that’ll suck for those that bought the 2018 A-release model. I dread to think how those units will look in 3 to 4 years time, exposed to but normal usage

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/02/17/kuo-2019-ipad-pro-models-10-2-inch-ipad/
[doublepost=1550626658][/doublepost]
Not everyone is saying it comes out bent out of the box. The issue is that a $1000+ device is easily bent with normal usage due to apples obsession with thinness.

Spot on, you’ve nailed it: normal usage is bending these devices, and that is totally unacceptable. Yet still I see fan boys defend the patently defective chasis. Does anyone actually swallow that whole ‘normal’ cooling process shtick?! As above, the 2019 model mentioned in yesterday’s leak will have a reinforced chasis and NO bending

- everygrainofsand-

Last edited:

bryn0076

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
BNE
So far we’ve seen the op showing us photos of a bent iPad and a clearly untold story as if the iPad bent by magic.

Then someone else claiming they exchanged a “flexed” iPad but unluckily couldn’t been bothered taking a photo to show it off in a forum he clearly uses....

where’s the rest of you?

Where’s all these bent iPads? Where are they?

Deliveries started on the 7th Nov, we’re almost into one week of hundreds of thousands of iPad Pros already in usage.

Where’s the public outcry for this new bendgate?

To be honest, I expected a public outcry. I think because there are two separate issues here; one is where the iPad has some 400micron (or whatever) bend out of the case due to the manufacturing process... The media has jumped on this, and results relating to the second issue are buried in the search results.

The second, and my main issue, is that the 12.9 iPad Pro is too large and thin, and its prone to bending through normal usage. I had one, read about the bend online... had a look at my own... and it was there - A bend that matches the OP. I took it back to Apple Brisbane, they said it was accidental damage. I was peeved, but paid the Apple care fee to replace it.

My second iPad did not have the slight bend out of the box, but significantly bent after two weeks of usage. Annoyed, while the iPad was flat on the table, I applied slight force and it bent back into shape, and left a slight buckle in the aluminium between the Apple Pencil charge point and the screen, the screen bulges out a couple of mm at the buckle.

As the Apple Genius said, they would consider this a manufacturing defect if it could occur with the iPad left on the table. They refused to waive the Apple Care service fee and I lodged a complaint with the Office of Fiat Trading, Qld, Australia.

The commenters are correct, I want a light and thin device... I want it light enough, and thin enough to be used as designed. The iPad is a portable device, it has LTE, it's designed for me to put in my cushioned back pack, pulled out a meetings, used on planes... Its designed to shoot a movie in the park if I wish... The current design is not fit for purpose. It's not a fair expectation for the device g=to bend while using the Apple Pencil to draw on it.

FYI - the OFT agreed that I had grounds for a claim and reached out to Apple. Apple refused. OFT is an arbitrator only. They have recommend I now pursue the matter with the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

If anyone in Australia has a bend like the OP, I'd be interested in referring you issues when I lodge my complaint with QCAT.
IMG_0443.JPG
IMG_1144.JPG

xx22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
Some people detect the sarcasm and tongue in cheek, some people don’t.

What sarcasm and tongue in cheek? Apple's company policy now is bottom dollar and screw the suckers. An exceptionally nice "genius" risked his job to help a customer.

everygrainofsand

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2018
Edinburgh, Scotland
To be honest, I expected a public outcry. I think because there are two separate issues here; one is where the iPad has some 400micron (or whatever) bend out of the case due to the manufacturing process... The media has jumped on this, and results relating to the second issue are buried in the search results.

The second, and my main issue, is that the 12.9 iPad Pro is too large and thin, and its prone to bending through normal usage. I had one, read about the bend online... had a look at my own... and it was there - A bend that matches the OP. I took it back to Apple Brisbane, they said it was accidental damage. I was peeved, but paid the Apple care fee to replace it.

My second iPad did not have the slight bend out of the box, but significantly bent after two weeks of usage. Annoyed, while the iPad was flat on the table, I applied slight force and it bent back into shape, and left a slight buckle in the aluminium between the Apple Pencil charge point and the screen, the screen bulges out a couple of mm at the buckle.

As the Apple Genius said, they would consider this a manufacturing defect if it could occur with the iPad left on the table. They refused to waive the Apple Care service fee and I lodged a complaint with the Office of Fiat Trading, Qld, Australia.

The commenters are correct, I want a light and thin device... I want it light enough, and thin enough to be used as designed. The iPad is a portable device, it has LTE, it's designed for me to put in my cushioned back pack, pulled out a meetings, used on planes... Its designed to shoot a movie in the park if I wish... The current design is not fit for purpose. It's not a fair expectation for the device g=to bend while using the Apple Pencil to draw on it.

FYI - the OFT agreed that I had grounds for a claim and reached out to Apple. Apple refused. OFT is an arbitrator only. They have recommend I now pursue the matter with the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

If anyone in Australia has a bend like the OP, I'd be interested in referring you issues when I lodge my complaint with QCAT. View attachment 822674 View attachment 822675

Good for you for pursuing this legally, mate. That iPad is in a shocking state only 4 months after release, and I totally believe you when you say it’s through normal usage (it’s no coincidence that your screen’s starting to pop at the buckled ‘coolant’ area; the bend that Apple assured us would not get worse over time). Can you imagine what these devices are going to look like in 4 years time?! I anticipate seeing some real horrors

Any civil action/tribunal will absolutely side with you as an innocent consumer, and I bet Apple offer to settle at the last minute. There’s no way they’ll expose themselves to the adverse publicity. I can imagine the faces of the tribunal/civil court reading the Apple press release RE bending being normal, and that will totally colour your fair use argument. Add to that the price!

And it’ll all be just a coincidence that this year’s B-release comes with a reinforced chasis, and NO bending problems. Meantime, the first adopters have been thrown under the bus, and been told black is white and bent is straight

Again, I respect you for making Apple own this. It must be helluva frustrating. Lemme know how you get on

- everygrainofsand -

Reactions: Mescagnus

bastianpp

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2019
Lol my ipad pro is bent too! my ipad pro currently is in technnical support... they said in the first time is MY ISSUE ( wtf ), because apple made well product and test it, this alumminum is very weak... what we can do? for example in the best case, if i recibe my ipad pro in the future is very possible with this materials and with normal usage get a bent, this device is really bad made..
I can buy a nice Bumper case... but currently they don't care about this problem, i will get a better answer in 3 days, i hope a nice answer... ( new one for sure ) ..
sxjFJEH.jpg

everygrainofsand

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2018
Edinburgh, Scotland
Lol my ipad pro is bent too! my ipad pro currently is in technnical support... they said in the first time is MY ISSUE ( wtf ), because apple made well product and test it, this alumminum is very weak... what we can do? for example in the best case, if i recibe my ipad pro in the future is very possible with this materials and with normal usage get a bent, this device is really bad made..
I can buy a nice Bumper case... but currently they don't care about this problem, i will get a better answer in 3 days, i hope a nice answer... ( new one for sure ) ..
sxjFJEH.jpg
Wow - that’s shockingly bad. Totally unacceptable. I feel bad for you, but am glad you’ve complained. They’ll absolutely give you a new one - there’s no way of fixing yours. As you say, you’ll need to handle the new one like a rare Faberge egg: only with gloves, kept in a glass case, and never ever take it out the house! Let us know how you get on

Reactions: bastianpp

schoc1

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2019
Not everyone is saying it comes out bent out of the box. The issue is that a $1000+ device is easily bent with normal usage due to apples obsession with thinness.
I agree, I had mine a month after replacing and selling my 9.7” pro and it was bent. I use a case and keep it in a padded backpack when not in use. I actually straightened it out a bit to take it back. Spoke to the manager about it and he ended up agreeing in the return, I bought a used 9.7” again and will keep it till they fix the issue even though su are not admitting to it. It’s a tablet so it’s not going to sit on a table all the time. They did not engineer it accordingly.

Reactions: everygrainofsand

everygrainofsand

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2018
Edinburgh, Scotland
You made a wise choice RE the used 9.7”. Your patience will pay off, once the chasis issue is fixed (likely in the fall, by the sounds of it). Already there are folks’ on their second bite at their AppleCare: all within 4 months of a product launch. Totally unacceptable

everygrainofsand

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2018
Edinburgh, Scotland
I agree, I had mine a month after replacing and selling my 9.7” pro and it was bent. I use a case and keep it in a padded backpack when not in use. I actually straightened it out a bit to take it back. Spoke to the manager about it and he ended up agreeing in the return, I bought a used 9.7” again and will keep it till they fix the issue even though su are not admitting to it. It’s a tablet so it’s not going to sit on a table all the time. They did not engineer it accordingly.

Agreed. Never mind four months, just imagine how these devices will look in four years! As you say, the engineering - patently the weak chasis - is just not fit for purpose in what should be a workhorse product

- everygrainofsand -

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014

u bought the 6th gen 9.7 instead? or the pro 9.7?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.