Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro bent?

• Yes

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 160 74.4%

• Total voters

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Uh. Just got an iPad Pro 11 WiFi and it is ever so slightly twisted right out of the box. Super disappointing.
Take it back if it quite bad, Apple have said they will replace units with bends of more than 400 microns or 4 sheets of paper... so if you can slide 4 sheets of paper under one side easily then take it back.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Take it back if it quite bad, Apple have said they will replace units with bends of more than 400 microns or 4 sheets of paper... so if you can slide 4 sheets of paper under one side easily then take it back.

Tbf if he’s within the 14 day return window (which is actually up until 8th Jan because of Christmas) he can take it back for any reason. He doesn’t need to prove there’s a bend.

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
Take pictures of the bend please.

I am having a hard time taking the pictures, it's just not as noticeable on camera as it is when you're holding it. The two bends are very minor, as I said, but they make the whole thing feel twisted.

Notice around the microphone and the USB port. There is another bend between the cameras and the magnet for the pencil, I can't catch it on camera at all.

Attachments

• bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 170
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
This is dissapointing

Paying that amount of money for a product that isn't made properly is just alarming

I was going to buy a Pro in Jan but I am not sure anymore. Debating if I should get the Air now.

Reactions: ouimetnick

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
This is dissapointing

Paying that amount of money for a product that isn't made properly is just alarming

I was going to buy a Pro in Jan but I am not sure anymore. Debating if I should get the Air now.

Likely the same issue with the air plus there is a widespread screen issue with them at the moment, many users on here reporting poor quality screens.

I am having a hard time taking the pictures, it's just not as noticeable on camera as it is when you're holding it. The two bends are very minor, as I said, but they make the whole thing feel twisted.

Notice around the microphone and the USB port. There is another bend between the cameras and the magnet for the pencil, I can't catch it on camera at all.

That second photo looks pretty bad to me, quite obvious of a bend, I would probably return the unit to Apple for replacement.

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
That second photo looks pretty bad to me, quite obvious of a bend, I would probably return the unit to Apple for replacement.

Actually, the other two bends are far worse, it just doesn't come off that way in pictures.

I don't think I will be getting a replacement, I waited weeks to get this and I don't want to wait weeks more for a another disappointment. I'll try again after the refresh.

MK500

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
I don't think I will be getting a replacement, I waited weeks to get this and I don't want to wait weeks more for a another disappointment. I'll try again after the refresh.
It is amazing we are having this discussion after 2 years. The problem on the 11" was reported shortly after launch in 2018 and they didn't make any changes to the case design to fix it in the 2020 refresh. I hope they fix it in the next refresh. It boggles my mind that they think a certain amount of bending is acceptable.

I returned my 11" in 2018 and went for a 2017 10.5", which has been awesome. I sure hope eventually they fix this so I can upgrade to the faster processors. Although honestly the A10X Fusion with 4GB in the 10.5" is still very fast.

If you can still find the 10.5" iPad Pro; it has most of the features of the 11" and extremely good build quality.

Reactions: zkap and pdoherty

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
It is amazing we are having this discussion after 2 years. The problem on the 11" was reported shortly after launch in 2018 and they didn't make any changes to the case design to fix it in the 2020 refresh. I hope they fix it in the next refresh. It boggles my mind that they think a certain amount of bending is acceptable.

I returned my 11" in 2018 and went for a 2017 10.5", which has been awesome. I sure hope eventually they fix this so I can upgrade to the faster processors. Although honestly the A10X Fusion with 4GB in the 10.5" is still very fast.

If you can still find the 10.5" iPad Pro; it has most of the features of the 11" and extremely good build quality.

I did similarly - returned the 2020 12.9” Pro and bought a refurb 10.5” Pro off apple.com. The 10.5 is fine and has no unresponsive screen issues whatsoever (or bending).

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
Actually, the other two bends are far worse, it just doesn't come off that way in pictures.

When is the refresh?

Marlon DLTH :)

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2020
This is dissapointing

You shouldn’t stop buying a product for an issue some people is reporting. You can always return it if you have the same issue. My iPad Pro isn’t bent.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I’m not sure why anyone focuses on whether there’s a bend or not if they don’t believe it results in the unresponsive screen issue. THAT is the actual issue. I couldn’t care less if the iPad has a tiny bend or not if it doesn’t get worse and doesn’t result in the screen becoming unresponsive. Those who have experienced the unresponsive screen issue, on a device that operates entirely by touch, will understand how annoying and frustrating that is.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I’m not sure why anyone focuses on whether there’s a bend or not if they don’t believe it results in the unresponsive screen issue. THAT is the actual issue. I couldn’t care less if the iPad has a tiny bend or not if it doesn’t get worse and doesn’t result in the screen becoming unresponsive. Those who have experienced the unresponsive screen issue, on a device that operates entirely by touch, will understand how annoying and frustrating that is.

At almost 2000 posts it seems the unresponsive screen doesn’t necessarily show up and as a further lesson learned, people seem to dislike visual imperfections like a bent housing when they spent what they see as a considerable amount of money.

Reactions: SomeMumblingBum

SomeMumblingBum

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2020
Hadbury House
Would you buy a car that had a noticeable dent or crack Even though it doesn’t impact the vehicles delete you take you from one place to another? I’m guessing not.

Reactions: ouimetnick and zkap

zkap

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2019

That's what I did a year and a half ago, minus the returning part - went straight to the 2017 model, typing this on the 10,5 inch now. Fantastic device and I don't worry about its structural integrity.
Will be upgrading to a newer Pro in 2022 probably, if at that time I have confidence that the bending is sorted.

Okta

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2014
Can anyone comment on owning one that came within what apple calls normal amount of bending and if it has held up in the long term?

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Can anyone comment on owning one that came within what apple calls normal amount of bending and if it has held up in the long term?
My understanding is that what Apple are saying is that manufacture tolerances allow a very small amount of misalignment from new. The word bending implies it happens after manufacture. My 11" IPP is within the permitted amount of misalignment from new, which has not changed in nearly a year of use.

Some people report that theirs bends in their normal use which brings in a whole other debate about what is normal use.

Apple have not said anything about bending during use being normal.

Okta

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2014
My understanding is that what Apple are saying is that manufacture tolerances allow a very small amount of misalignment from new. The word bending implies it happens after manufacture. My 11" IPP is within the permitted amount of misalignment from new, which has not changed in nearly a year of use.

Some people report that theirs bends in their normal use which brings in a whole other debate about what is normal use.

Apple have not said anything about bending during use being normal.

I see, thank you. I’ve noticed then what apple calls a misalignment on mine. It’s not within the return window but within the warranty period so I wanted to make sure it wouldn’t get worse.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I see, thank you. I’ve noticed then what apple calls a misalignment on mine. It’s not within the return window but within the warranty period so I wanted to make sure it wouldn’t get worse.
If it hasn't so far there is a good chance you are in the majority group for whom it doesn't bend in daily use. I don't believe a slightly misaligned one is any more likely to bend later than a perfectly straight one.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I’ve had my 2018 11” iPad Pro since February of 2020 ... no bends, even when I took it with me to travel inside a backpack with other items pressing on it. Mind you, I have the keyboard folio case on this iPad at all times as well as it’s in a sleeve and another zipper case when not in use. In the end, it all depends on how you handle your devices. I don’t see any sort of “bend” on any side of my iPad Pro in the almost 1 year of owning it.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
I had a thought today when taking my iPad off the magic keyboard. The magnets are very strong, could the continuous use of pulling the iPad off bend the chassis?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.