Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What effect has the iPad had on your computer use, pick all that apply.

• Replaced my LAPTOP!

Votes: 33 12.7%
  • Hardly ever use my laptop now!

Votes: 64 24.7%
  • Noticed I don't use my laptop as much

Votes: 86 33.2%
  • No change at all in my laptop usage

Votes: 39 15.1%
  • Replaced my DESKTOP!

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Hardly ever use my desktop now!

Votes: 22 8.5%
  • Noticed I don't use my desktop as much

Votes: 36 13.9%
  • No change at all in my desktop usage

Votes: 45 17.4%

• Total voters

WalledMacGarden

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
What's everyone's feelings on this? did the ipad replace your laptop? or your desktop? how much less are you using your desktop?

iPad for me is complete laptop replacement, and I am extremely happy about that. When I show others what I can do on the iPad with certain apps and tools, they want one. I think it's only a matter of time before many computer users completely ditch the desktop.

I don't know, but for me, if I did not have do content creation with Adobe CS or needed MS office, I would never be using my desktop. I am already using the iPad for music and art creation, and slowly adding some "light" photo editing and video editing, or at least pre production.

The only reason I could see for a laptop would be if you need a workhorse for heavy duty content creation on the road.

And for school, not much I can see the iPad can't do or do better.

out of all my computer use I was:
80% desktop
20% laptop

Now
60% iPad
40% desktop
0% laptop

Truly amazing when you think about how many people will use the iPad in place of a desktop.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
At home?
95+% iPad. I don't sit down at my desk, like ever anymore.. I lounge on patio, den, or study.
Only time I go to it is to sync my Garmin.

At work? Yes i use a laptop. No choice there. But i draw a definite line bewtween work and home. Work stuff doesn't touch iPad unless I'm traveling on business (rare)

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
Pre iPad 2 I was probably around 85% desktop to 15% netbook, netbook was nice to have but just not a great experience. With the iPad2 that percentage probably went up to 40%, and with the 3 + more/better apps it's at least 50%.

However, I also have ended up running my iPad half the time I'm using my PC too. Running video, audio, streams, MLB Gameday, tweetbot, etc. from the iPad while I use the PC for photoshop and such. Keeps things running at 100%, acts as a 2nd monitor, and is quicker to control.

So all in all I have my iPad running more often than my PC, though the PC is indispensable for real photoshop/video editing and a real pressure sensitive tablet.

guilderlandny

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
upstate NY
90% iPad and 10% Laptop now. Using the iPad for consumption - Web browsing/shopping, simple e-mails, e-reading and video streaming. Four year old laptopp used for production - CS5 level Photoshop, web site maintenance, and MS Office. I'm using this setup to extend the functional life of the laptop until the sweet Intel Ivy Bridge processors become mainstream in laptops, probably in late 2013. Who knows what the tablet/laptop world will look like by then - but it will be all good.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
I have to use my desktop everyday for extensive writing and if I have a freee moment I'll do a little surfing and keep a close watch on my email in the dock -- snow leopard on Mac mini with 23 inch hp non- glare monitor magic trackpad and apple bt keyboard. BUT in ALL free time I use the iPad. My practically new Mbp that I bought as an adjunct to my desktop practically sits idle.

LiloThePleo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2010
I gave my laptop to my sister when I got the iPad 1, never looked back.

I will use my iPad over my iMac if I can, it's quicker to turn on and always close at hand :p

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I'm new to the iPad, so I still instinctively reach for my laptop -- for one thing it is easier to type -- but I am starting to replace basic tasks with the iPad.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
It replaced my laptop totally but not my desktop.
When ever I work away from home I use my iPad and even at home if I can do it away from my desk the iPad is the one I go to.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I stopped using my laptop completely when I got my original iPad, so I sold it, and haven't missed it since. I use my iPad about 75% of the time and my desktop about 25%.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
they are diff animals .....poll not applicable......An desktop does not travel well and an ipad does not create content well...end of story...

David Menzel

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2012
With my iPad I can do almost 85% of my (private) computer tasks (browsing the web, reading documents, writing emails,...) in a very convenient way, thats why I stopped using my desktop all the time. But there are a few things like file management that are not so easy to handle with an iPad.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
It hasn't completely replaced my laptop, but I'd say I use my MacBook Pro about half as much as I used to.

Because I'm a commercial graphic artist my desktop is free from danger. Until the full versions of the Adobe CS work on an iPad I'll continue to make my living on my desktop.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I've only had my iPad for 2 weeks. But I will say my laptop usage has dropped considerably. I rarely take it anymore on nights away from home unless I know I have a ton of emails to answer (that have already been downloaded to the laptop - I am still using POP3) or I have design work to do in Illy.

I did manage to update a spreadsheet using CloudOn the week before last with the iPad. It was a bit slower but I had all night and it did work.

I also started to read a book on it yesterday - Dean Koontz. Wasn't sure I'd enjoy it as I have loved books since I was a little kid. I'm over halfway through it already. :)

I sync all my workouts to the laptop but I can look at them (if I also use the iPhone) on the iPad.

My desktop has not gotten as much use in the last few years as it is, so that hasn't really changed. I use it mostly for Quicken, Illy and PS and yesterday was using it to compare mountain bike routes, one on the desktop one on the laptop. If the iPad hadn't been downstairs I probably would have put a 3rd up on that lol.

I am pretty excited about upgrading to Lion (I'm still on Leopard being a Quicken and Eudora user) on the laptop and using more of the syncing capabilities. I go away a few weekends in the summer for work and the plan is not to bring the laptop at all, just the iPad. I'll have to turn cellular on, but I'd have to pay for wireless in a couple of places anyway, and for that time I get to charge it back to work. I've gotten RDC to work for that job so that issue is out of the way.

There are still things I can't do or haven't figured out yet but all in all I'm thrilled I got it. I sure went back and forth over the last two years over want vs need. I can say I probably don't NEED any of this but it sure is working fine, I am using it for work, email, and leisure so it's not like it's a toy only.

Now I just need the MB and G4 to keep on humming for quite awhile so I don't have to replace any of them <knocking on my real wood desk top). :)

Last edited:

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
Good poll. Replaced my desktop completely except for doing Mac OSX and related software updates.

Why should I sit hunched over a massive display and huge keyboard immobilized like a frozen statue. It's an anachronism.

Fudd

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
The instant-on feature of the mobile devices (iphone and ipad) has reduced my usage of my desktop PC and I don't even bother with my laptop anymore because they still have to boot up through the hibernate/sleep mode to become usable.

Golfer00ksu

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
Sold my MBP after getting the new iPad. Now, I'm using iMac more and iPad for all lounging browsing the web, twitter etc.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I can't see my iPad replacing my MBP because it doesn't function the way that I like to use my Macs. Adobe CS is heavy along with other editing software.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The only time I use my notebook anymore is when I need to use Word or Excel while at the office. I use my desktop to manage my media, including using iTunes to sync my iDevices, rip CD/DVD, convert video formats, etc, but I estimate I spend at least 90% of my computing time on my iPad.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Currently I do not have a desktop computer. The only computer I own is my MBP. I had an iPad 2 before I got the iPad 3 (that's what I'm calling it, deal with it), and I'd say I use both my laptop and iPad pretty evenly. For just article reading, casual gaming, and catching up on news I'll use my iPad. But for all other uses (essay writing, photoshop, file conversions, etc) I'll go with my laptop. Just so much more efficient.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Don't use the laptop as much, but for anything requiring a lot of typing or fine control with a mouse, my MBA is much easier to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.