iPad = revolutionary

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DOUGHNUT, Mar 20, 2011.

1. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

Well, I just got my first iPad the other day, and I finally believe the hype. Ever since I got the iPad I haven't been able to put it down, and my MacBook pro has basically been sitting on my desk dormant. It completely revolutionizes the way computing is done IMO. Ok, for more advanced tasks, a laptop is still irreplaceable but for day to day use like web browsing, emails, reading news, videos, iPad does it all and does it so well. Best of all is how light and easy to use it is. No wonder everybody is trying to come out with a tablet these days. Anyone else has the similar kind of experience?

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I agree.

It is a revolution. With the iPad and apps the way we interact with the internet and our data is rapidly changing. It will continue to evolve this way. The pc box as we know it will be going away.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Only a few million other people for the past 12 months. Enjoy.

4. nStyle macrumors 6502a

Just curious, for people who start threads like these: what do you consider better, revolutionary?

As far as iPad browsing goes, it is slower, no doubt. Is this better? It is undeniable that I can have either Firefox or Safari open and navigate to a website I want, press "Cmd + T" and instantly start navigating to another I want... all on a bigger screen, much faster than an iPad.

It is definitely more portable...but does this equate into revolutionary?

5. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I had the same experience, 11.5 months ago, with the first iPad. Once I saw the first hands-on videos, last year, I knew this would rock. Almost a year on, I still really enjoy my current iPad, as much now, as i did then, whilst eagerly awaiting the iPad 2.
    Enojy! :D

6. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

One word: Flipboard. It is easily the most unique browsing experience. It actually fundamentally changes how I look at the web, and I love it.

7. AuburnApple macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm not sure about revolutionary, but it's definitely revolutionized my restroom experience.

8. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Revolutionary doesn't necessarily mean the best or most exciting, but look what the iPad has done. It's made tablet computing relevant to the average consumer. It's created a market that nearly every other manufacturer is desperate to get into, and created a product line which millions of consumers are scrambling to get their hands on. One hundred years from now, the iPad may not go down in history as the best tablet pc ever (just like the Model T certainly isn't the best automobile ever), but it will be the product that started it all. If that's not revolutionary, I don't know what is?

9. thesmoth macrumors 6502

Revolutionary marketing, mediocre computing device.

Hopefully iOS changes that, but i'm betting we'll have to wait until iOS6 and iPad 3 before we see this thing really transform into something more useful than a pretty angry birds playing machine. I'm mostly talking about iOS and how outdated and limited it currently is. Also as iPad apps mature and get better (I can't load powerpoint and word files on pages/keynote/documents to go without loosing TONS of formatting/pictures/charts, etc...) it will be better.

All iPad/iPAd 2 owners are early adopters and beta testers, because as many people and even Steve Jobs have pointed out, this will be a slow 'revolution' away from traditional computing, and it will take years to evolve to a place where it is actually a useful alternative to traditional computing (it's just a toy now).

10. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I would say that iOS is revolutionary in the sense that it has introduced touch screen computing manipulation to the masses. Sure, there were companies who did this before Apple but only Apple has the hardware/software ecosystem down pat in a way that creates a smooth, nearly seamless experience. We all have to remember that this type of technology on a mass-consumer level is very new and the user experience and functionality will evolve over the next decade or so.

I have to say that since iPhone 1 launch day I have been a huge fan of this type of user experience and more than welcomed the iPad as a what was perceived then as a "larger iPhone/iPod Touch." That said, I have found the iPad to be an entirely different experience. Many professional reviewers have said better that I can - that the device falls away, leaving you with the impression that you are holding the application, interacting with it directly in a way that we haven't experienced in the past keyboard/mouse ecosystem.

I liken my iOS/iPhone/iPad experience to my first experience with the Macintosh in March of 1984. My mom was an IBM-er, at the time and poo-pooed the Mac from the get go. We had the original 1981 IBM PC at home which was a great initial programming learning tool for me but was not very "useful" overall. We were at a friend's house who had just bought the Macintosh and saw MacPaint running - our jaws DROPPED! It was then and there that I knew that THIS was the future and would effect my entire scholastic and professional life, and it has. 23 years later in 2007 I had the same feeling with the original iPhone. Now while the iPad didn't give me the same sort of goosebumps I still firmly believe that THIS is the future, or at least in some form for the next 7-10 years. Touch screen manipulation is here to stay and will only grow in everyday usage, be it iOS, Android, maybe WebOS & Windows Phone 7 - ha - whatever - it is computing evolution in action, and that is something I can live with.

11. Greg M macrumors 6502

Get serious! It's a neat device but isn't anywhere near as useful as my MBA. I do use my ipad 2 but I find the MBA far more useful, far more flexible and far more powerful. If I had to choose one I'd dump the ipad in less than a blink of an eye.

It will be a long time before the ipad can replace a real computer. It's far too limited in what it can do.

Fanboys are blind.

12. hayesk macrumors 65816

It has already changed computing. People are using these things everywhere, in places they would never use a laptop.

Your view seems to be "it's not useful until it can do whatever I do on a desktop OS" and is certainly valid from your point of view, but it isn't a universal yard stick to judge its usefulness. People are doing things on their iPad that they didn't do on computers before.

13. PCClone, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2011

PCClone macrumors 6502a

Either you are pissed because you can't afford to buy one or you own a Xoom and realized that it sucks and you are stuck with the device of losers. IPad rocks and you need to just admit it.

14. PCClone macrumors 6502a

Then why do you still have it?

15. michael.lauden, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2011

michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yikes. chill out. it's a forum. he's stating his opinion. also - seriously. how many threads are there debating MBA vs iPad.

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

While the iPad2 is a pretty good upgrade over the iPad 1, I am not sure if I could call it revolutionary.

Both iPads are only a "shadow" of what they could have been. They have been severely "collared" by Apple to prevent us from using all of it's power:(

17. 482214 macrumors 6502

Wow... I think the only person trolling is you with a comment like that.

The guy is allowed an opinion... Grow up or get out!

18. Greg M macrumors 6502

Because I don't have to choose just one. Is that sooo hard to comprehend?

I use it to accept credit cards at customer's homes, a reader, and other things. I like it but there are times that it goes unused because my MBA does just about everything better and faster.

19. diabolic macrumors 68000

Useful is a relative term. Most people don't need what you'd call a "real computer" for their everyday tasks. I've got Mac Pros, several PCs, an iMac and a MacBook Pro, and the iPad gets the most constant use every day because for the things it does well, it's a better experience using the iPad. My MacBook Pro doesn't even travel with me anymore since the iPad arrived almost a year ago.

20. thesmoth macrumors 6502

Making simple edits to documents and powerpoint files is not complicated and not unreasonable to ask.

Also a simple filesystem is not unreasonable to ask.

You fanboys are so simple minded. As soon as you get proper MS office compatibility and a simple file system, you will shout from the roof tops how great apple and SJ are. Now because they don't have it, you say it's not a big deal and no one wants it anyways.

In case you've never used a computer, a desktop OS can do a LOT more than just make simple edits to word documents and save files from the web.

I love everyone in this thread calling me a troll, when what i've said is 100% true, and everyone will be agreeing with me in a matter of time, but because you are all such rabid fans and so short cited, you are just apologizing for apple and defending them in order to defend your own purchases.

Yes, people are browsing the web with their fingers when they used to use a mouse (and not being able to see any flash content), and they are playing angry birds and world of goo with their fingers. Big deal, give me some substance.

21. thesmoth macrumors 6502

I had an iPad and it didn't rock. It was a cool toy and a cool gimmick, and it needs to improve a LOT before it goes beyond being a fashion accessory. When you are done defending your purchase and apologizing for apple, why don't you come back to reality and realize that everything i've said is true. You won't realize how right I am for a year or so, but you will eventually.

You fanboys have the worst arguments i've ever heard. I swear these message boards are populated by 12 year olds.

I make a 100% valid and correct comment on the current state of the iPad and iOS, and I get this is response...

"lololol, the ipad is sweet, it totally rocks and your just jealous cause you can't afford one, lololol".

I had the iPad 1 for a month and it was REALLY cool. The games were fun, laying on the couch watching youtube was cool (but the super low quality of youtube and the lack of option for HD youtube made it really blurry and much worse than my MBP), and there were a handful of apps that ALMOST make it worth buying (dropbox, documents to go, goodreader, etc...). Hopefully iOS will be revolutionary and really make this a must have gadget, but right now it is a toy.

If I could save files that could be universally accessed by ALL apps (simple file system), if I could have full compatibility with MS office (I'm talking about MS office files saved with 2003 compatibility, not the newest formats) so i can edit word documents and powerpoint slides, and preferably an easy way to put files onto the iPad (USB port that I don't need an expensive adapter for), then I would buy an iPad right now. I'm not saying the iPad is super far off from being useful, but there are key features that are missing that apple is probably holding out till a later date.

22. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

+1 too funny! but oh' so TRUE!

23. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

A business contact told me about Flipboard. It's pretty neat!

24. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

Do you have an iPhone??? Now that is revolutionary. iPad is just bigger and even has flaps. iPhone is more of a plug :)

25. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

also Zite, check it. :)