iPad RIP

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ingster, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

Today is a sad day my friends, after putting my cherished launch day 1st gen ipad down last night after a relatively short netflix session i awaken this morning to find the LCD with a massive (2-3inch) line across the centre of the screen where the pixels aren't working properly, it hasnt been dropped or damaged in anyway, i've reset it and no joy, Apple geniuses looked at it and offered me a £199 OOW replacement, i'm thinking it probably isn't worth doing that and i should bite the bullet and get a new ipad instead!

Thoughts?

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Probably not worth it to get it fixed. With iOS6 coming out, I am sure you will be much better off the the current gen iPad. Plus you get the retina screen!

3. jojoba macrumors 68000

I second this. It sounds like it's time for your iPad to go to iPad-heaven.

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

Wow Ingster that stinks. So the iPad screen cracked by itself? :confused:

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

The screen didn't crack, pixels died.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Sorry to hear that, but at least you have an excuse to get a new iPad!

On a side note, I can't help but wonder if these devices will all break down after about 5 years. I had a computer that lasted for 12 years. It was obsolete, but it still booted up and worked as it was designed after all that time.

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

go the new one, the screen upgrade is awesome.

8. ftored macrumors regular

ftored

Yeah i would guess thats alot of money for fixing a first gen iPad.

How about trying to fix it yourself. Maybe get a replacement screen on ebay and follow the guides on ifixit?

9. Coeuspolus macrumors newbie

I'm beginning to have concerns about the long-term durability of the iPads, as my new iPad 3 screen worked perfectly for months and now suddenly I have random colored lines flashing across my screen. It's in perfect condition and has basically never left my bed side.

10. Rodster macrumors 68040

Given that the main part you interact with is the screen, I tend to agree. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 has the infamous 'Newton Rings'. Doesn't bother me but yeah these things are grabbed, held, with fingers constantly tapping and putting pressure on the screen. It doesn't surprise me.

11. jaysen macrumors 6502

Consider this a blessing in disguise, now go out and get a new ipad!

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I wouldn't bother getting a 1st gen iPad fixed. Go with the newest.

13. shortcrust macrumors 6502

Today is my first day with a new IPad, upgraded from a first gen one. I was a little bit unsure as to whether I might regret the purchase because I was actually quite happy with my old one. I knew within the first 10 mins that I'd done the right thing. Yes the screen is amazing and my old iPad now looks very fuzzy, but the 'wow' part for me is the speed and snappiness of it. It really is a joy to use.

Make a new iPad the silver lining!! I think you'll be happy.

14. big samm macrumors 65816

I have the new iPad and the first gen also... When the battery of the new iPad is almost done I switch to the old one... I hope it won't break anytime soon, as i still find it really useful around the house! But yeh I wouldn't pay 199$ for it specially because iOS 6 will not be compatible with it. Real sorry for your lost!

15. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Defo the new iPad with retina. The screen alone is amazing!

16. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

The same thing happened to my daughter's hand-me-down original iPad. It was fine when she put it away and the next morning big wide stripe down the middle of the narrow dimension. No damage or interaction overnight.

I assume this is damage to the LCD under the glass and digitizer?

Only thing we could think of is that the temperatures have been pretty high for the past two days (95-100F in Boston). Maybe the high heat had something to do with it. Before anyone asks, no, it was not brought into a cold environment after being that hot...

We decided to order a New iPad to replace it, rather than get it repaired...

17. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

What size iPad do you have? Would it be worth getting it fixed and then selling it on? (if its worth more than £199)

18. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

would the 199pound replacement be a gen 1 or 2?
    I think the refurb gen 2s are far more available and possibly be what the Store had in mind?

19. xpower180 macrumors regular

xpower180

I thought this too....

20. poloponies macrumors 68030

They swap out like-for-like. You don't get an upgrade.

21. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Makes me fear that no matter how well I take care of my new iPad, it's doomed to die some day.

22. Navdakilla macrumors 65816

Take it to a apple store, and see what they say, who knows they might do it for free

23. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Did you read the OP? :confused:

24. Ingster thread starter macrumors 6502

Ingster

Yeah it's a 1st gen, ichecked and no the apple store will only swap out like for like, it's a 32gb wifi, i'm probably going to bite the bullet and get some money together and get a new ipad, may sell off the old one on ebay with pics showing the fault, if someone wants to buy it to try and repair the screen all well and good