IPad Sales Disappoint...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSMac, Oct 25, 2012.

1. OSMac, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

OSMac macrumors 65816

2. UmbraDiaboli macrumors regular

Maybe this is one of the reasons why they killed the iPad 3.

Apple is greedy now, they knew they weren't selling enough iPads so they had to take measures to make it attractive, and also to increase its sales thanks to the holiday season.

3. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

If Win8 tablets/convertibles get some traction it could be a challenge for Apple's ipads looking for as well.

Example
    If the majority of back to school sales are convertible Windows 8 notebook/tablets, I dont think many will buy an iPad too, even one for $329.

They may add a $199 device but Apple could be squeezed as Windows 8 moves ahead, sales start etc.

4. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Could it be the tablet market is becoming saturated? Walk into BestBuy and there are so many tablets on display it makes you dizzy! Or could it be the worsening economy taking a toll not only on Apple but other companies as well?

5. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Definitely is becoming saturated there are so many tablets to choose from in stores, don't even get me started with the amount of different tablets available from Amazon, holy tole-to.

6. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Apple even with high priced premium products will have a place but the growth could very well stop cold if MS can pull off win8.

Once many people have a lightweight Windows tablet or convertible notebook for school / work, it will be all they need, the iPad becomes a much harder sell and Windows Phones become a solid alternative.

I'm not sure MS can pull it off just yet, but it's clearly possible now more than ever?

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

That was my first thought too... That they were afraid people would delay purchase for the holidays thinking it would "old" by March so the announced now. Not sure it's the solution though.

8. jdag macrumors 6502a

Are ANY of those selling in any significant volume?

To me, the tablet market is really iPad/iPad mini, Nexus 7, Surface (soon), and Kindle Fires. Possibly add Nook.

All of the others are just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

9. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I think windows 8 and surface are so bad that it may mean the end if Microsoft.

Folks will find out tomorrow (Friday). Apple products are usually better in person than they sound, but not Microsoft. When people use it they will realize how messed up the product is. Right now they wouldn't believe someone could come with something so bad. It will take time to realize.

10. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

That's why they released the iPad 4 :rolleyes:

The problem is that everybody knew about an iPad mini is coming -- without knowing that it'll have a non-retina screen at a premium price.

11. Rodster macrumors 68040

12. AFDoc macrumors 68030

You are delusional. Microsoft will be fine.

13. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Windows 8 is another Vista, probably worse, despite how the tech sites are praising it. But well everyone will be forced to use it because the OEMs have no alternatives. Windows + Office is a big monopoly and MS will survive.

But I'm not really sure, everything can happen. I think Windows 8's theme has no taste, but... many people actually have no taste. So...:)

14. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

??

Isn't this what any company should do? Make a less attractive product more attractive to encourage sales?

Oh, sorry it's Apple. So it must be nothing but greed.

:rolleyes:

15. Appleseeds macrumors regular

What holiday is that?

16. Powrie macrumors 6502

Apple needs to spend some of their money and update the iPad to look like the mini and the iPhone 5

17. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

The consumer holiday, obviously. Where people rush out and consume at a higher than average rate. But I think some of the world's major religions try and have some little thing around the same time...

18. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Just to clarify the Surface tablets launching this week are not running Windows 8 they are running Windows RT

19. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

There is a scale back on iPad sales due to tablet saturation in the market, a growing Android tablet fan-base due to lower pricing, and the overall acceptance for all iPad models in general. From the first iPad to the current iPad, base functionality hasn't changed too much so users are generally seeing no reason to update. IPad sales should stay the same through the 4th quarter of this year but Apple will retain dominance in the tablet market regardless of total sales figures. Is it just me or does it seem like there is much less hype over Apple products over the last year?

20. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I think the iPad 2 was a great device, not as many people upgrading.

21. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Other than the mini, that seems very true around here.
    The Apple store has customers but not packed like it used to always be.

Guess faster and thinner only works for so long :)

22. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

I have to hand it to Cook. He is the master of supply chain management. I would be interested to hear him speak about the logistics he deals with at Apple. I'm a bit of a finance and business geek so it's very interesting to see Cook's tenure in comparison to Jobs. The iPad mini I don't think has too much potential to bump sales up enough to acquire more market share. One of the reasons why there aren't as many people in the store now is due to the supply chain management which has made it easier for consumers to acquire Apple products worldwide. This is having a negative impact on hype and marketing overall since it makes the products seem less desirable because they are easier to purchase. While it is great for customer service, I think it makes the new products just very lackluster. The technological advances in the products are also leaps and bounds beyond what used to happen in the consumer tech industry which moved so slow that it was painful to watch. I just feel that the product launches now are just not very exciting or as enrolling as when Jobs gave the presentations.

23. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

the mini rumors started a year ago and everyone was waiting instead of buying the iPad 3

24. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Let's keep in mind that the rumors about a mini coming were deafening for about 4 months leading up to the launch.

Apple said last quarter that the rumor mill was affecting sales and I think we're still seeing this.

I had friends that don't even follow Apple rumors coming to me and saying "I'd better hold out and see if this mini thing is real"

25. Rodster macrumors 68040

You can only sell so many iPad's that look and operate basically the same way. Apple does need to refresh things either with a new look design or UI update.