Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JJ.Skalk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
Hey everybody. I came across this website called Mobilelink55.com. The prices are rediculously cheap to be true. Not even refurbished Ipads are that much. Need other opinions other than mine, cause I think its a scam. Thnx :D

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
This is an image of the iPad from the site.
verizon-prepping-the-ipad.jpg

You still have doubts whether it's a scam?

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Er, please help... Please help who? What? If you have ordered one, ROLMFAO!

JJ.Skalk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
haha exactly, even the iphone 4 pic is bogus

Sry for the inconvience. I hate being a newbie as well lol. As for your question gryzor, no I did not buy one. Not that dumb, although I sound it lmfao

Thanks Neco girl and Apple OC. I knew it didnt look right, Im just used to asking questions a lot no matter how dumb they might sound.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
This is an image of the iPad from the site.
verizon-prepping-the-ipad.jpg

You still have doubts whether it's a scam?
Funny how you show the only image that is not representative of the product, yet there are plenty of correct images in the actual product page.

Just order one via credit card, and if it's a scan, the liability lies with the card company and not yourself.

JJ.Skalk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
Sounds good Gryzor. Makes sence.... Let the credit card companies deal with it if it doesnt come through.... I think Apple OC, and Neco girl are right though. It does sound too good to be true, and they do have a couple of bogus pics (as do a lot of legitimate webisites though)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Sounds good Gryzor. Makes sence.... Let the credit card companies deal with it if it doesnt come through....
Dumb advice. Your credit card company has the legal obligation to forgive all but $50 of fraudulent purchases. Some companies forgive the entire price, but that is the credit card company's option.

You know that these offers are not legitimate. Just how stupid do you have to be to sacrifice $50 just to prove it.

Cha

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
I agree... it's not great advice. Also, depending on the bank, the money will not be returned to you until after the dispute is over which can take 90 days +. It'll probably be too much of a headache.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA

Just order one via credit card, and if it's a scan, the liability lies with the card company and not yourself.

what a dumb advice.

you really recommend to give your creditcard number, expiry date and security code, your email address and your home/shipping address to a sketchy website?:rolleyes:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Hey everybody. I came across this website called Mobilelink55.com. The prices are rediculously cheap to be true. Not even refurbished Ipads are that much. Need other opinions other than mine, cause I think its a scam. Thnx :D

Seriously? why on earth would you need other opinions? Anyone with two firing neurons should realize that site is a scam site. No confirmation here needed.

Last edited:

Nova69

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
Of course it's a scam!

Nobody in his right mind would sell a hot item costing $829 for $300. They could charge $700 and sell every one they have in short order. Something is seriously wrong here. Also, your credit card company protects you from unauthorized use of your credit card (purchases you did not make), not from making unwise purchases.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

So, let's see...

The domain in question was only registered on Jan 31, 2011; yet the copyright at the bottom claims 2004-2011. The domain owner is based on Romania, and owns a LOT of domains. (Tellingly, a Google search for the registrants name and "domain registration" shows that he owns "allfiction.us" - how appropriate.)

The address listed at the bottom of the web page is just a number and street, no city or state. The address does come up as valid in Englewood, NJ, though, for a warehouse for which there are no fewer than four businesses claimed to be based there. (Precise Dental Products, Sultan Healthcare, and Dale and Thomas Popcorn.)

The OP for this thread only signed up with MR to post this thread.

Yes, *VERY* scammy to me. Thanks for playing, bye.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
I get the dutch version of the so called shop and in the very first lines of the site I get this message :

Welkom op deze webshop
Dit is een demonstratie-winkel powered door de CS-Cart shopping cart software. De CS-Cart is een volledige e-commerce oplossing voor het midden- en kleinbedrijf.
Dit is GEEN live winkel. Vul daarom ook geen echte credit-card gegevens in bij een evt. test-bestelling.

Translated it says something like this :

This is a demonstration site powered by CS-Cart shopping cart software.

This is NO live shop. Therefor do not enter your credit card number when you perform a test order.

Clackamas

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2011
whois mobilelink55.com:

registrant-firstname: Dan
registrant-lastname: Suteu
registrant-street1: Minerilor nr 3
registrant-pcode: 515700
registrant-state: AB
registrant-city: Ocna Mures
registrant-ccode: RO
registrant-phone: +40.407238611669
registrant-email: home2spaces@gmail.com

RO = Romania... hmm.... You could write the owner of the web site and ask if it is a scam?

tkingart

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2010
West Coast
It's a scam, and the OP is likely tied to it. The OP has 3 posts, all of which are the same (about this scam.)

Best bet, report that website to the host, for a take down.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Nobody in his right mind would sell a hot item costing $829 for $300. They could charge $700 and sell every one they have in short order. Something is seriously wrong here. Also, your credit card company protects you from unauthorized use of your credit card (purchases you did not make), not from making unwise purchases.
Wrong, at least over here in the UK where consumer law is actually there to protect the consumer. They are advertising iPad and iPhone etc., and the price is irrelevant. If they send through either counterfeit goods, or broken goods, you are covered under the distance selling rules for a start because the items are not as described. If you try to get a refund from them, and they refuse, or you got nothing sent to you at all, the card company is 100% liable for the loss. Fact.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you have to ask if the site is a scam, then it generally is. Your inside voice is raising some red flags, so in a sense why ask here.

If the price is too good to be true, then it generally is

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.