iPad shift key

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hydrocity, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Hey, Whenever I try to type on the iPad, and I need to capitalize a letter, I would naturally press on the shift key. But whenever I do, it turns off if I release my finger. I would like it to just be a button where I press it once and the next letter I type would be capitalized.

It does eventually do what I want, but I have to press the button a few times. Is there any way to turn off the hold to capitalize? I type with one finger most of the time, so having to hold shift and press a letter is hard and unnatural without a real keyboard.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

What application does this happen in?

Because I'm Trying It Right Now And It's Working For Every Word.

3. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

If you press the shift key the next letter you press will be capitalized. You don't have to hold the shift like you would on a physical keyboard. If you want to caplock go to settings and turn the cap lock feature on. Then tapping the shift twice will turn caplock on. Also when you end a sentence with a period or other ending punctuation the beginning of the next sentence will automatically be capitalized.

4. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

well maybe it's just the app then. I'm using icab browser and i have to hold it down for the next letter cap. I'll try it out in other apps. Thanks for your help.

Edit: ya it seems to be the icab app only. Maybe there's some settings for the app I can play with

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Huh? You don't have to hold down the shift key, tap it once and release, and the next letter you hit should be capitalized. Also, the first letter in a sentence will be automatically capitalized. You can tell when the next letter will be capitalized because the arrow sign on the shift key turns blue.

6. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Always test these types of issues with Apple's standard apps. Many third parties screw up small things like this.

7. kenmarable macrumors member

I actually found I was having a similar problem, even in Pages and other official Apple apps. However, I think I found the issue to be that the first letter of a sentence would automatically go to capitalize, but I would naturally hit Shift in order to do the capitalization manually (just like a standard keyboard), and would thus cause the auto-caps to un-cap.

Kept getting extremely frustrated from having to re-type the start of nearly every single sentence until I learned to trust it to handle the beginnings of sentences automatically, and only use shift for words in the middle of sentences.

Not sure if you have the same problem or not, but give it a try. It REALLY annoyed me until I discovered that.

8. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Customize the on-screen keyboard

To customize the behavior of the on-screen keyboard, go to:
    Settings -> General -> Keyboard

Then, pressing both Shift keys will enable caps-lock.