iPad so hot, I could use it as an iron!!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleFan115, Mar 17, 2012.

1. AppleFan115 macrumors regular

I like to keep my iPad at a 100% brightness when I'm using it during the day. However, it is getting extremely hot. So much so, that it is uncomfortable to hold and needs to be propped up against something. No joke, it could seriously burn my skin after a short time. Are other people facing this issue? I never felt anything like this before on the iPad 2. It's too bad, I really like the way the screen looks at 100%, but I think it's going to do harm to my iPad. At least on the bright side, it makes a great iron at this temperature :D

2. advan031 macrumors 6502

100% brightness burns my retinas, I don't know how you or other people can do this even outdoors.

3. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Same here, normally I keep it at around 30%, out doors jumps up to 50-60%. I cannot see it past anything like that. The only time I ever use a device at full 100% is if I am testing it for light bleeds and such.

4. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

I would take it to Apple. I was playing games like infinity blade at full brightness on a warm day in Florida today for a couple of hours and it was barely warm.

5. Built macrumors 68020

This is definitely NOT normal. Take it back to Apple.

6. mobilebuddha macrumors regular

that is strange. i've been watching movies on it for the last few hours. it's not even warm, not even a hint of temperature.

7. cinca macrumors regular

You might want to poke around on some of the other forums as there are actually quite a few reports of warm iPads. It seems that most of the heat complaints are in conjunction with processor and/or LT intensive usage.

8. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

Yup mine gets red hot after about an hour on the left side.
    It gets hot regardless of what i'm doing, even sitting on the home screen with screen brightness at 100% after an hour will get the left side red hot.
    I think the heat is a function of screen brightness and not so much CPU usage.

9. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Yep, that's what the issue appears to be. People with brightness settings at below 50% aren't reporting these issues.

I actually don't see why anyone would need to crank up the brightness to 100%. Hurts my eyes.

10. moxxey macrumors regular

Mine doesn't. I can feel some warmth, but it doesn't even affect my hand, never mind get too hot.

Why would anyone need it running at 100% brightness though? Mine is never more than 60% at the most? The screen is so bright and clear, there's no need for 100%.

11. slicecom macrumors 68020

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Back it goes...It should not heat up like that, and being new Apple will swap it out. They need to know about issues like this...I'm guessing, but it could be a bad batch of batteries.

13. sinar macrumors regular

When I went to check the new iPads out at the Apple store, i was a bit concerned at how hot they were all running. It was in the morning so it was not as though they were running all day at that point.

The backs of all of them were very hot (not enough to burn you, but warmer than I'd ever known a portable device)

All the screens were set to 100% brightness.

I was expecting mine to get hot, but it has shown no sign on heat or warmth at all, I keep my brightness at around 40-50%, I think keeping the brightness high might be the cause of the excessive heat.

14. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

Its not the battery, its the controller for the screen that's getting hot. The brighter the screen is set the hotter it gets.

15. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

+1 I stopped reding at 100% Brightness. Way too high.

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I think you are exaggerating a little. But, this is not a Apple problem as you are the one choosing to run your backlighting at 100%.

I love to drive fast but am smart enough to know if I keep the throttle at 100% there will be consequences for doing so. :eek:

17. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Controller for the screen? What's that?
    The heat on the left side is said to be generated by the processor, which is placed right there.

Also, I'd like to point out that this isn't by any means a good aspect. It's clearly a flaw.
    If adjusting the brightness can help, just do it. But this is just a limitation, no matter what a fanboy can say, as to "it's certainly a right thing, everyone should do the same". :rolleyes:

18. sers macrumors regular

I can't understand how people can use these things at 100% brightness. During the day, my iPad is set at around 20% and at night I've got it down to 0%. Maybe my eyes are just really sensitive, but I've tried it at 100% and it hurts.

19. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Well, I never run mine above 50% so I guess the screen could well be the issue...couldn't watch the screen that bright anyway!

20. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I am one who loves 100% brightness. iPad 2 has never felt the slightest bit warm. New iPad was burning hot. Definitely a difference in the retina screen.

21. cfs macrumors 6502a

I use my iPad 1 in the sun a decent amount. When i do this i need the screen at 100%. How does the new ipad screen hold up outside? Is 100% necessary?

Thanks.

22. f1restarter macrumors regular

Mine is on full brightness and the back surface is barely warm so I would definitely return the faulty iPad if I were you.

23. LocoStrange macrumors member

My brightness is normally around 60-70-isg and even then its a little too much

We can take these outside in the sun? Haha

24. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

I think I'll go check out my apple store this week and see how hot the display models are getting, to get a benchmark of what "normal" is, since they all run theirs at 100% brightness.

25. pyzon macrumors regular

clearly if it's getting 'red hot' it's a health hazard to you or small children around, bring the damn thing back to apple and have them look at it so the rest of us can be made aware of any flawed manufacturing processes etc...jeezes quite whining about it and go do something to fix it...'use as iron' 'red hot' either you lot are taking the p1ss or it's not a problem as yee all seem to be making a joke about it....get on to apple ffs and get it fixed....

----------

wtf sort of response is that...it's not apples problem, of course it's f$%king apples' problem!! get your head out of your ars3 !!

if you have the option to run it at 100% you can very well run it at 100% if it's boils up the back it's not apple's problem?....get a life man!!

oh i bought a new car yesterday, but if you press the brakes tooooo firmly they will crack and fall off and well according to some on here that would be too bad..lol..some of you clowns..