iPad Sudden Death Syndrome

Discussion in 'iPad' started by crd1904, May 12, 2012.

1. crd1904 macrumors newbie

Having had iPad for 13 months and two weeks, six weeks out of warranty, the display died :-( Took it to Apple Store who eventually diagnosed a loose connector inside. Indeed, when the Genuis man pressed the connector area the fault stopped. BUT, the iPad cannot be opened to repair I was told so they would have to replace the whole unit. £199 for the pleasure of doing so!!!!!!!!!! Seems very very pricey for what is basically reconnecting an internal cable! AND the fact that it is hardly a month out of warranty. If Apple want to charge so much for their products I think they should last longer than 13 months. Why not start selling them in packs of 6 disposible ones, a bit like razors. Call them the iBrickPad. Sorry Apple, but I think on this occasion the service I got was deplorable. I'd have been more than happy to pay a reasonable amount to have it repaired - and it can be done apparently - but £199 is really not "reasonable" for a very young product. I have read in these forums that the manager of the store has a certain flexibility when it comes to "repairs" for items just out of warranty. Well, I didn't find this one at all flexible. Have written to CEO and actually got a reply and am still waiting to here from UK Managing Director, whoever that may be. So we shall see what happens next. And another thing, Apple seem to think that they are now SO big and important that they don't need to put any lonk on their website for complaints. They seem to think that nobody should complain about their grossly overpriced products 'cos they never go wrong. Well, Apple, they do and people should be given the chance to complain easily.

2. TheWheelMan, May 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2012

TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I'm sorry about your bad luck, but that is the dumbest rant I've seen here yet. YOUR iPad, unfortunately, died. Almost EVERYONE ELSE'S, if you can grasp that large concept, is working just fine more than a year later. Your bad luck in no way constitutes a poorly made product, and for all we know, you might have been dribbling your iPad around your house like a basketball all that time. Besides, if you were so worried about the value of your product, you should have bought an extended warranty.

Stop blaming Apple for your horrible luck! :mad:

3. Ipadfever, May 12, 2012

Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

What you should have done was try and have gotten an estimate for the problem and see how much it would have cost, it its less than 199 it's a no brainier. Then you could go back to apple with some fight.

4. crd1904, May 12, 2012

crd1904 thread starter macrumors newbie

It has been VERY well looked after actually. Never taken outdoors even and we don't play basketball. So YES MY iPad died but everyone else is the same age as I got it the first day it came out. They should NOT die after 13 months. I'm sorry if that offends you but that is my opinion. It cost enough and I assure you Im not alone in my views! I agree with the extended warranty bit for older items but not for a 13 month old product. Apologies to have rattle your cage!

----------

Thanks for reply. Better than that from Apple 'CEO/Attorney'! LOL. Yeah, I should have got estimate first but really needed the thing quickly. Still, have managed to get some sort of reply from Apple UK so something good might happen :)

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Goto ifixits site and look at the guide to open it up. It's not that hard and I've opened up several. Helps to warm up the glass with a hair drier first.

With that said if its disconnected and there is no evidence of a drop then the issue must be a manufacturing defect in which case return to the store and quote apples eu 2 year warrenty policy!

6. crd1904, May 12, 2012

I've seen the hairdryer trick - I'd melt the thing if I tried it!!! Thanks for the EU warranty info though.

7. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Take to a different Apple store if you can (London ones seem more sympathetic than provincial ones) and if you come across someone a bit more sympathetic you never know. Just play dumb a bit and don't come across all full of 'entitlement'. Say you were planning on paying for Apple care before the 12 months lapsed but the email reminder must have gone to your mobile me account which is now defunct because you use the iCloud account bla bla bla and hope they feel sorry for you. For the price, I wouldn't fix it. You wait it out for a refurb to come up and you can pick one up for £289. With a full 12 months warranty. And learn from your mistake, buy Apple care.

If you are legally minded, there may be a way to play hard ball with them because it is EU statutory consumer rights to have 3 year warranty. In places like Finland, the government forces Apple to honour this. In Italy, they in litigation. Hope it works.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's two years in the uk.

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

9. crd1904 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. Problem is, I've now paid the £199 as I really needed the thing quickly. I was certainly not full of "entitlement" with the manager at the store. Exactly the opposite in fact. Even smiled a few times! SHe said there was nothing she could do, but have since read that they do have some give and take if they want to use it. AH well..........

This EU warranty - is it too late to argue it now that I've paid? Thanks for your help anyway.

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Not to late no! The cable in question shouldn't just pop out its either a build defect or you dropped it.

11. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

12. LaWally macrumors 6502a

My iMac was very well looked after too. My hard drive should not have failed after 24 months and my video card should not have died after 30 months. But they did. Technology breaks. That is why Apple gives a 12 month factory warranty and offers AppleCare extended warranty. I bought AppleCare so my repairs cost me nothing.

You seem to want to take issue with the fact that Apple only offers a 12 month factory warranty. While I agree a longer factory warranty would be nice, it is completely beside the point. The Apple warranty is 12 months. If you want more than that you buy AppleCare. It is what it is.

Sorry your iPad died.

13. crd1904 thread starter macrumors newbie

As said, I'd have melted the screen!!!! But wish I could have I tell you! But I type quickly ;-)

14. TheWheelMan, May 12, 2012

TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

They DO last for more than 13 months. You had the misfortune of having one that, for whatever reason, had a connection come loose. Sounds very much like placing blame to me...

...As does this.

If the iPad was out of warranty and their policy is to not fix your device issue, then the service was not deplorable. I think in a nicer, less corporate-driven world, they should fix your iPad. But the kind of simple repair you need is almost never going to be done by a big corporate entity like Apple after the warranty runs out (six weeks isn't the same thing as say, 1 day, by the way), and I find it hard to believe that you didn't already know this, which in term makes your ranting about it silly.

It sucks for sure, but it is what it is and its nobody's fault, and it certainly doesn't warrant calling the product disposable. YOUR iPad quit. It's not the norm.

15. crd1904, May 12, 2012

Yeah, just read it. WOrth a try. Thanks again.

----------

iPad 2, in UK, only came out just over 13 months ago. So, you might be right in saying they do last more than 13 months - just ;-)

16. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

17. crd1904 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. I agree with the warranty basically - it's just that i really feel 13 months is a bit early for the thing to die. Sure there has to be a limit on repairs and the time since purchase but, for items just out of warranty, there should be a "flexible" approach by the company in general and not left up to the manager of the store. Had it been, say, 15 months old then I might feel different. AH well, it's done now. Thanks for reply anyway.

----------

LOL. Don't rub it in!!! I'm laughing a bit again :))

18. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

It is very odd that the plug would fall out like that after all that time. I'd think that would happen much sooner if the connection were that loose.

19. crd1904 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tell me about it! But I assure it has been cradled from birth and never even dropped an inch! Have just been looking at the repair demo - quite scary to attempt I think!!

----------

The guide looks like something not for the likes of me to try ;-)

20. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Can't say I disagree. Lots of folks on these forums have told tales of device replacement for accidents, drops, water damage, etc.. some of which have been slightly out of warranty like yours. I guess it all depends on who you get and what kind of day they are having. Some folks have better luck with phone support, others fare better with store support.

Next time take a trained parrot with you and have it keep repeating "hey this thing is only a month out of warranty, isn't there something you can do for me" until they give you satisfaction ... or throw you out of the store.

21. noteple macrumors 65816

Also depends if you have Apple care. With an expired Apple care by one month I had a complete MacBook housing replacement and battery replacement. Genius didn't even hesitant.

22. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

23. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

It's easy, Chinese Foxconn workers can do it. :rolleyes:

24. crd1904 thread starter macrumors newbie

The parrot would probably die on me too! :)

----------

Well, I thought I've nothing to loose by trying.

25. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

What the hell is that supposed to mean, these workers are trained to build these units - the thread starter is not. I'm not sure what your insinuating with your nauseating comment, but if you are saying what I think you are.... :rolleyes: