Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Hi everyone...I am in the market for a new iPad to replace my iPad mini 1. I used my mini a lot in college and it's seems to have gotten consistently slower with every software update so I figure I'll just get a new one.

I am in the process of studying for the CPA exam so I need something that's portable to work and other places so my 15" rMBP is ruled out. When not using it for studying I'll be browsing online, tapatalk and gaming once and awhile. Now I see that the latest iPad release was the 9.7" Pro. Would you recommend the 9.7" pro, Air 2 or another mini for me? Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Since you have experience using the mini - do you see yourself using a larger version of it? Yes? Try the iPad Pro is $$ isn't a issue.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Since you have experience using the mini - do you see yourself using a larger version of it? Yes? Try the iPad Pro is $$ isn't a issue.
I liked my mini but felt like it had its limitations so an upgrade in size wouldn't be the worst thing. For my use would I be better off getting the Air 2 or the pro 9.7?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I liked my mini but felt like it had its limitations so an upgrade in size wouldn't be the worst thing. For my use would I be better off getting the Air 2 or the pro 9.7?
Certainly the iPad Air 2 is more than powerful enough for your needs. Pro has amazing display, much improved sound quality and the vibration has been fixed, also there is Apple Pencil. If I was buying new from Apple I would buy a Pro. But I normally buy used to save some money and there would be a lot more deals for Air 2.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Certainly the iPad Air 2 is more than powerful enough for your needs. Pro has amazing display, much improved sound quality and the vibration has been fixed, also there is Apple Pencil. If I was buying new from Apple I would buy a Pro. But I normally buy used to save some money and there would be a lot more deals for Air 2.
Yeah I saw that I could get a refurbished iPad Air 2 for $340ish. Hmm

roneylirio

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2016
Hi everyone...I am in the market for a new iPad to replace my iPad mini 1. I used my mini a lot in college and it's seems to have gotten consistently slower with every software update so I figure I'll just get a new one.

I am in the process of studying for the CPA exam so I need something that's portable to work and other places so my 15" rMBP is ruled out. When not using it for studying I'll be browsing online, tapatalk and gaming once and awhile. Now I see that the latest iPad release was the 9.7" Pro. Would you recommend the 9.7" pro, Air 2 or another mini for me? Any help would be much appreciated!
I bought in the promotion of $ 299 the Air 2, great Ipad and my use of it is good, if you will use for heavy productivity goes to 9.7, if only to see PDF files, surf the internet and edit some work the word recommend the Air 2

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I bought in the promotion of $ 299 the Air 2, great Ipad and my use of it is good, if you will use for heavy productivity goes to 9.7, if only to see PDF files, surf the internet and edit some work the word recommend the Air 2
Where did you find an iPad Air 2 for $299?

roneylirio

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2016
[QUOTE = "malibuboats91, post: 23088831, membro: 621159"]? Onde você encontrou um iPad Air 2 por US $ 299 [/ QUOTE]
a promoção da Best Buy no mês passado que todos os ipads foi reduzida em US $ 100

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Now the plot thickens...I have a coupon for $100 off an iPad Pro due to being a student. Just saw that in my email.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA

Good luck with the CPA. I'm a long-time Mini user, though the new split screen options have me looking at a Pro for my next upgrade. The split screen is just too cramped for my use on the Mini, and I would gain a lot of benefit from Pencil support (handwritten notes, mainly).

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Maybe you can describe the limitations you've had with your iPad mini?

I'm a fan of iPad mini 2 and really like its compact size and would likely replace it again some day in the future with another compact mini.

While the screen of iPad mini 2/4 is obviously smaller than iPad Air and iPad Pro, iPad mini 2/4 screen has a higher pixel density screen (326 ppi) compared to iPad Air and iPad Pro (264 ppi) making the image on screen sharper. It's a very subtle difference, but I noticed this when comparing them side by side in store, iPad mini 2/4 indeed is slightly more sharper. Compared to the original iPad mini (163 ppi) (which you seem to have), you will notice the difference immediately.

iPad mini 2 has the A7 processor which is the same processor as in iPhone 5s. It's quite speedy and performs well running the current system software iOS9. iPad mini 2 is the cheapest way to a new Apple tablet.

iPad mini 4 gives you some nice improvements, lighter weight, faster processor (same as iPhone 6 and 6 Plus), touch id, and a better camera. http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

9.7" iPad Pro was updated in March, but, if you're considering iPad mini, you might consider whether it's the best time to buy as MacRumors suggests "don't buy" as there may be updates sometime soon. https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#iPad_Mini

Personally I feel the iPad Pro range are overpriced and the more compact 11/13 inch MacBook Air or 12 inch MacBook with Retina display come into play and might be more suitable, but if you can get a discount on iPad Pro then it might change the equation. Saying that you might be really please with a mini 2 with its better screen and faster processor. Might be worth going into store just to play around and get more ideas of how to proceed.

I guess in the end this all depends on your needs.

Reactions: M. Gustave

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH

Get the 12.9 IPP. I know it's a lot larger than the Mini and it's a little more difficult to transport but the benefits far outweight the drawbacks.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Get the 12.9 IPP. I know it's a lot larger than the Mini and it's a little more difficult to transport but the benefits far outweight the drawbacks.
12.9 is big coming from a mini. It's possible this would work. But I think the OP is wanting a small size tablet.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
I used to have a Mini as well. I liked the ease of portability and the weight. But I grew tired of squinting to see the screen at times when viewing some web pages and PDFs. The 12.9 IPP would be perfect for college use and study (IMO). I upgraded to the 12.9 from a small Mini and am very happy.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I went back to Best Buy and they said the air 2 and mini 4 are discontinued so they can't get anymore.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I just sold my mini for $150 so I guess I need a new iPad today. Decisions decisions

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I went back to Best Buy and they said the air 2 and mini 4 are discontinued so they can't get anymore.
Whoever told you that lied to you. The iPad mini 4 isn't even a year old, and Apple is still selling both.

If I was you, I would have waited for Best Buy to do another sale on the iPad mini 4 or iPad Air 2, but I guess since you sold yours already, you can't wait. I can't say which you should go for, but the iPad mini 4 is obviously much more portable and the iPad Air 2 is a little more powerful with the extra core. If you're trying to save money, I'd get either of these over the new Pro.

kaydot

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
If money/storage is a concern: Air2 64gb

If money/storage is not a concern OR
you want to use the Apple Pencil: Pro9.7 32gb or 128gb.

32gb is anemic in my opinion, and if it's going to be your go-to-everyday machine, 32gb is hardly sufficient.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
If money/storage is a concern: Air2 64gb

If money/storage is not a concern OR
you want to use the Apple Pencil: Pro9.7 32gb or 128gb.

32gb is anemic in my opinion, and if it's going to be your go-to-everyday machine, 32gb is hardly sufficient.
It depends on your usage. 32GB is plenty for me. Even 16GB is manageable, though annoying at times, for me. But I don't play games, download my entire music library, or load a bunch of movies. I'm always connected to the Internet, so I can back my pictures and videos up and stream all of my music, movies, and TV shows. If the iPhone SE was offered at 32GB for the base model, I would have saved $100. :/

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yeah I saw that I could get a refurbished iPad Air 2 for $340ish. Hmm
I would strongly recommend getting an Air 2 over the 9.7 Pro... if support for the Apple Pencil isn't a high priority.

The Air 2 is STILL a beast of a tablet (in a good way). If the 9.7 Pro came equipped with 4GB RAM instead of the same 2GB as the Air 2, then my suggestion would be different.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
So I went to Best Buy tonight. I decided that I want the most future proof device seeing that I keep them for so long so I got the pro 9.7. Plus I'm interested in getting the Apple Pencil. Ended up getting it for $499, then will get an additional $100 back from my credit card company. Now I need to find a good case...I had the speck candyshell on my mini. Thanks everyone!

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
After a few hours of use I'm really beginning to wonder if I need the Pro. The Air 2 seemed to operate the same, but I'm a guy who likes to have the latest and greatest when I get something new. The thing with the iPad is I don't use it nearly as much as my MBPr or my iPhone 6s Plus. I might keep it for a week or so then decide. I think Best Buy has a 14 day return policy.

roneylirio

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2016
After a few hours of use I'm really beginning to wonder if I need the Pro. The Air 2 seemed to operate the same, but I'm a guy who likes to have the latest and greatest when I get something new. The thing with the iPad is I don't use it nearly as much as my MBPr or my iPhone 6s Plus. I might keep it for a week or so then decide. I think Best Buy has a 14 day return policy.
I did the same thing as you, yesterday changed the Air 2 by pro 9.7, only took the pro because of the processor, but the 32g serves me well.
I was afraid of Apple kill the Air 2 perfomance to sell the pro, she likes to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.