Ipad tethering to iphone

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Macgeeza, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Macgeeza macrumors regular

Hi
    I am currently tethering my MacBook to my iPhone 4 ( using the personal hotspot on ios 5.1)and using my unlimited data plan from 3 network.

When I tether my 3rd gen wifi only iPad to my iPhone, it connects fine but as soon as I open up safari I get a tethering block message from 3.

How do 3 know that it's an iPad?, is there any settings on the iPad I can change so the network thinks its my MacBook?.

Don't understand why I can tether my MacBook but not my iPad?.

Please help, can't find any info on this.

2. Macgeeza thread starter macrumors regular

No one else has this problem?, makes me think even more that it's some sort of setting that I might have wrong?.

Did I post this thread in the wrong section?. Sorry If I did

3. wsc9005 macrumors regular

4. Macgeeza thread starter macrumors regular

Oh ok, so how can I change/block the IMEI code or make it the same as my MacBook, so that tethering will work on my iPad.

Thanks for replying to my thread. :)

5. Azzin, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

Azzin macrumors 68040

Are you in the UK?

I've been tethering my iPad 1 to my iPhone 4 since i moved to 3 last year(I'm on their One Plan with All You Can Eat data) and have had no issues or messages whatsoever, as tethering/Personal Hotspot is included within the tariff).

I've also just tethered my i4 to my new iPad to see what I speeds I would get at home and I got 5.28Mbps/1.78Mbps down/up respectively.

I know that doesn't help you, but I just wanted to say there can't be a network wide "thing" going on with 3.

6. Macgeeza thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, Yeah sorry I forgot to say that I am in the UK.

So do you think it's because I am using the new iPad?, you say yours is working ok, and the only difference I can see is that we are using different generation iPad?. But we should be on the same software, yeah, or not?.

What should I do to get it working, this sort of thing is way out of my tech knowledge. Please help!.

7. Azzin macrumors 68040

We're both tethering iPad 3s to an iPhone 4.

I used to do it on my iPad 1 up until recently without any issue, and I now have an iPad 3 and still tether fine.

Are you on 3's £25 per month One Plan?

That includes tethering and unlimited data, if you're on another tariff that might explain why, as the only 3 tariff that allows tethering is the One Plan.

8. Macgeeza thread starter macrumors regular

Can't remember what the plan is called, but its £13 a month and it's got all you can eat data.

It definitely allows tethering because I connect my MacBook pro to it all the time when out from the house. It's just with the iPad that I get a tethering block message.

This is my first iPad so don't know what settings to change to sort it out?

9. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

I'm on one plan with iPhone 4 and iPad 3 pad tethered to phone no issues

10. Macgeeza thread starter macrumors regular

Did you have to change any settings etc on the iPad to get it to work?.

Do you know of any settings I could try and change on my ipad that might get it working?

11. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

Nothing changed, worked straight out of the box on Friday

12. Azzin macrumors 68040

That's your problem right there, you're not on the One Plan.

As I said, only the one plan "allows" tethering, you're on a plan that does include unlimited data and can "do" tethering, but it's not allowed.

They can obviously detect an iPad and that's why you're getting the message that you are, perhaps they can't detect a MacBook?

Pay the extra £12, upgrade to the One Plan and your problem will go away.

13. Macgeeza thread starter macrumors regular

So does this mean that 3 are starting to block people from tethering the iPad?, can't understand why they would?.

If they were going to block a device from tethering you would think it would be the MacBook rather than the iPad?

14. Azzin macrumors 68040

I've no idea, but if you read the Ts & Cs, you'll soon see that tethering isn't permitted.

If you done it this long on your MacBook (and can still), you have 2 choices:

1) Accept that you can't tether an iPad on the tariff you are on.

2) Decide you want to be able to tether your iPad and stump up the extra cash and move to the One Plan.

Simples. ;)

15. Macgeeza thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah perhaps, but that is alot more money each month it's nearly double what I'm paying now, so perhaps if I jailbreak it then they won't know it's an iPad?, what do you reckon?.

----------

Ok thanks

16. Azzin macrumors 68040

I don't think there's a jailbreak tool to achieve what you want.

You've just spent at least £429 on a wifi iPad, surely an extra £12 is worth it?

In honesty, your options are limited to say the least.

17. Macgeeza thread starter macrumors regular

£12 extra a month all adds up exp if there is some way I dont need to pay the extra money. Think I am going to look more into the jailbreak route

Thanks for your replies to my thread.

18. Azzin macrumors 68040

Don't buy the car if you can't afford the fuel! :D

Seriously, you are restricting yourself and your iPad to being able to hook on to a wifi hotspot, which may not be convenient to you when you want to use it.

19. Macgeeza thread starter macrumors regular

It's not about being able to afford it, it about not spending more money than I need to.

And 'seriously' you are starting to sound like you work for 3 or something, just trying to get me to spend more?.

Anyway, I sorted this now. I downloaded a different web browser for the iPad put the settings for the browser in desktop mode and it works great ( no jailbreak needed) network doesn't think it's an iPad anymore

Thanks for trying to help anyway.

It tethers just like being on the MacBook

20. Azzin macrumors 68040

But you "need" to spend more if you don't want to run the risk of getting cuto ff and having no data connection at all, if 3 decide to terminate your contract.

Don't be childish, of course I don't work for 3 and even if I did, do you think getting one anonymous person to increase their tariff by £12 per month would help me in some way? :rolleyes:

That's good to know and maybe useful for others in the the same boat, especially after the whole AT&T scenario here where they detected people tethering and throttled/restricted/cut off customers.

I genuinely hope it doesn't change in any way for you and you keep the ability to tether, but for me, spendng £500 + on an iPad and tethering on a tariff that could get me kicked off as it's against the Ts & Cs isn't worth the risk (just my $0.02).

I'd rather pay what I need to pay and be safe in the knowledge that A) I have truly unlimited data and B) I am free to tether without worrying if the next time I try I may have my data connection restricted.

As I said, just my $0.02.

21. rmacqui macrumors newbie

I'm not on the one plan and can tether my ipad2. I'm on a £10 a month sim only deal with 2gb data

22. Mess macrumors 6502

Mess

Ive got my 4s on the three network and tether my ipad(3) to the phone with no problems. Mind i am using tetherme installed via cydia to enable native tethering. Bu again have had no issues.

23. Zillio macrumors newbie

24. Mrrikki macrumors regular

Iam replying to this on my new iPad with my iPhone 4s tehered via hotspot using three network also in the UK. I have never had any issues or errors come up.

Forgot to add I am on the £25 sim only one plan.

25. Zcott macrumors 68020

I'd try using bluetooth to tether, and if that doesn't work, get in touch with Three. They're normally pretty helpful over Twitter. I've had no trouble tethering my iPad to my iPhone.