iPad the new one!! cleaning screen

g4jnw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Have just got a new iPad and always used a protective cover on my iPhones, tried one on my new iPad but it seemed to affect the quality of the screen - maybe its something to do with the new screen?

I never protect my macbook pro screen but I do clean it with a lens cleaner called solution 30 as its recommended by carl zeiss and i also use it on my camera lenses.

BUT i do notice the instructions about the new iPad say only use water and a microfiber cloth - is there a coating that maybe affected by using lens cleaner?

I don't know whats in the solution 30 as it just says " formulated for cleaning high grade glass and plastic opthalmic lenses, also suitable for cleaning camera and optical instrument lenses"

dmccloud

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Have just got a new iPad and always used a protective cover on my iPhones, tried one on my new iPad but it seemed to affect the quality of the screen - maybe its something to do with the new screen?

I never protect my macbook pro screen but I do clean it with a lens cleaner called solution 30 as its recommended by carl zeiss and i also use it on my camera lenses.

BUT i do notice the instructions about the new iPad say only use water and a microfiber cloth - is there a coating that maybe affected by using lens cleaner?

I don't know whats in the solution 30 as it just says " formulated for cleaning high grade glass and plastic opthalmic lenses, also suitable for cleaning camera and optical instrument lenses"
Water and a microfiber cloth are good for getting dust off the device, but cleaning solutions often work better for fingerprints, smudges, and/or grease. I've found the Vizio cleaning kits are not only good for all my devices (MBP, iPhone, iPad, TV, etc), but are significantly cheaper than others from Monster, Targus, etc.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Don't make it complicated. Dampen side of a microfiber cloth with water, wipe, dry with the other side. Sometimes just a dry microfiber cloth will do the job.

Just one thing to remember, always use a clean cloth. Don't want debris to scratch the coating.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
As the others said. No chemicals required. Just a microfiber cloth, dampen if you have to. Just the cloth will remove oily finger prints nicely.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I use iKlear and a micro fiber cloth from the Apple store.
I use this stuff for all my equipment and even my reading glasses.

Dan DRC

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2011
I used the Vizio and it works great. Much cheaper than other solutions out there too.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I use iKlear and a microfiber towel on all of my electronics, never had any issues.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Don't make it complicated. Dampen side of a microfiber cloth with water, wipe, dry with the other side. Sometimes just a dry microfiber cloth will do the job.

Just one thing to remember, always use a clean cloth. Don't want debris to scratch the coating.
This.

I only ever use a moistened microfiber cloth...Works like a charm.

Cloysterpeteuk

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
People on here don't half over think things.

I use a dry microfiber cloth, I use the same cloth I bought with my first iPad, I don't ever wash, wet, dampen or do anything with the cloth I just wipe the screen and it comes out lovely.

If there's a smudge I want rid of and my cloth isn't next to me then I'll wipe it with whatever I'm wearing, these screens are tough as hell I've found it's very difficult to mark them.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Here's the thing for me....

I often use microfibre cloth through the week, but PERIODICALLY I clean it with a damp face cloth and cleaner (non corrosive or damaging). The reason I don't just use water all the time is the fact that over time, you are dumping a crapload of bacteria on your device. A study has shown that cell phones are some of the filthiest devices for germs and bacteria because people don't always wash their hands as well as they should.

Once in a while it is nice to disinfect it.

No I am not completely anal retentive haha but I do like to take care of my devices and my health.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2012
Here's the thing for me....

I often use microfibre cloth through the week, but PERIODICALLY I clean it with a damp face cloth and cleaner (non corrosive or damaging). The reason I don't just use water all the time is the fact that over time, you are dumping a crapload of bacteria on your device. A study has shown that cell phones are some of the filthiest devices for germs and bacteria because people don't always wash their hands as well as they should.

Once in a while it is nice to disinfect it.

No I am not completely anal retentive haha but I do like to take care of my devices and my health.
Agreed.

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011

Hot breath and a soft cotton shirt. It is gorilla glass, you won't scratch it very easily at all.

stdwest

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2011
I also need something to clean my screen. The reason is that the hand creams I use just don't get off my ipad screen easily if I only use a microfiber cloth.
I'm inclined towards iKlear, it looks like it's the common thing people use and happy with. Any other sanitizer suggestions also appreciated!

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
Baby wipes. At first I thought it would rub off the oleo-whatever it's called coating. But to be honest that coating doesn't keep fingerprints away as it claims to anyway.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I use a large camera lens cleaning cloth for cleaning my iPad screen. I don't find the need to moisten the cloth has its only cleaning finger marks off of the screen. A few wipes over the screen with this cloth and the marks are gone, only to come back again the second I re-touch the screen :D