Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

113614-ipad_canada.png

iPad in Canada reports that it has received information from a source claiming that Apple retail store employees in Canada have been told that the weekend of April 24th is a "black out period", meaning that employees are not permitted to schedule time off during this window. If true, it seems very likely that this might coincide with the launch of the iPad there, as Apple has announced a "late April" launch in Canada and other countries.
We were contacted by a source with close ties to the Apple Store that the weekend of April 24th has been marked as a "black out period" for staff. This means no employees are allowed to book this day off. If that's the case, then it would make sense that this indeed would be the launch date for the iPad in Canada. Anytime there's a "black out period" you know it's for something big.
Pre-orders for the iPad began in the United States on March 12th, with Wi-Fi models launching this Saturday and 3G-capable models following later in the month.

The same "late April" timeframe was announced for availability of all models (Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G) in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK. Consequently, it appears likely that, should Canada see an iPad launch on April 24th, other announced countries could expect launches on the same day.

Pre-orders in the United States began approximately three weeks before the launch of the Wi-Fi iPad models, and so some have speculated that pre-orders for an April 24th international launch could begin as early as this weekend. Apple may choose, however, to wait for the initial rush of iPad sales in the United States before taking pre-orders internationally, gauging sales numbers and stock levels as it seeks to maintain a steady flow of iPads to its sales channels.

Article Link: iPad to Launch in Canada on April 24th?

chrispenn1

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
I'm getting really annoyed that in the UK we're charged more and things always end up here later.

Comment

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
So......where's the 3G model?

And, if you're in the UK, deal with it. You get to live in the UK. It should be reward enough.

Comment

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
No UK availability, no UK pricing, no UK preorder date, and no UK launch date. Hell, no confirmation on iBookstore and apparently no UK 3G deal either considering the UK version of the Apple iPad website explains that in order to use 3G on the 3G model, we've got go out and LOOK for a carrier and contact them to see if they can hook us up with a MicroSIM card.

The prospect of FINALLY getting some international info soon is very welcome!

Comment

babble

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
Quebec
Woooot! The 24 can't come fast enough.

I'm happy and surprised to get a date before the actual US launch.

Comment

iKrl

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
What about other countries?

We all now know a rough date for those countries but what about Mexico?

Comment

Ichneumon

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
I have to ask, what about the Dutch? Any word on when the pad will be available here?

Comment

Takuta-Nui

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
Wait, what? I called my Apple Store the other day (West Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) and they confirmed that they would have the Wi-Fi iPad on April 3. Guess I'll have to check again and cite this to them... and I had made plans this weekend for that, geesh. =/

Comment

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
What about the Netherlands? They first said worldwide availability and now the launch date is T.B.A. (to be announced). Not even a vague "late april" or sometihng.

Comment

bobrik

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
Wait, what? I called my Apple Store the other day (West Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) and they confirmed that they would have the Wi-Fi iPad on April 3. Guess I'll have to check again and cite this to them... and I had made plans this weekend for that, geesh. =/

Maybe what they meant by "we well have one" was that they will buy one or two in the US and have these for display in the store, but not for sale?

Comment

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I hope that includes Sweden, but I doubt it. Going to USA in August anyway so I'm buying one there if nothing else.

Comment

OwenDarko

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
So......where's the 3G model?

And, if you're in the UK, deal with it. You get to live in the UK. It should be reward enough.

Well..there is that i suppose...UK is wonderful and really does give US (which has pretty much everything, gets everything first, great weather, loads of opportunities and with added explosions and fireworks) a run for it's money...:rolleyes:

I'm guessing your not from UK right? I love to see your post if the American launch was end-of whenever!

Comment

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
They haven't even released pricing information here in Canada.

On the other hand, maybe that's a good thing, with our dollar creeping closer and closer to parity with the US dollar.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.