iPad to run Android?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hleewell, Nov 12, 2010.

1. hleewell macrumors 6502a

"
    The project, while in its early stages, is hoping to bring Android OS (and by extension, Flash) to the iPad and iPhone 4. We aren’t encouraging people to run off and give this a try. The application is still in the early stages and probably pretty buggy.
    OpeniBoot is essentially an open source bootrom that will allow you to run unsigned code on the iPad and iPhone..."

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/11/12/ipad-may-soon-run-android-via-openiboot/

2. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

Why would one disgrace the iPad by running such a crappy OS like Android on it? :eek: :confused:

3. Codythatsme macrumors member

Agreed!!!

4. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Why buy an iPad in the first place if all your gonna do is put android on it? Just wait for the android pad or whatever and you'll save yourself time and money.

6. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Dumbest thread ever. I wonder if this isn't a feeble attempt at trolling.

7. Winni, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2010

Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Reason 1: Because you CAN. It's also called FREEDOM of CHOICE. (A concept that seems to be completely alien to most Apple users.)

Reason 2: To use OPEN SOURCE software and/or to write software for the device in a language like Java - something that Apple neither condones nor supports nor allows.

Reason 3: Just for the kicks of it and to show the folks in Cupertino the middle finger. You know, like installing Mac OS X on a PC, only this time we break Apple's tiny Walled Garden and put the competitor's software on their precious little digital prison.

Ah, no. Actually, it's more fun to buy an Android Pad and try to put iOS on it. ;-)

8. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I'd be interested in this because I have never used an Android device. Don't even know any friends with one. They either have iPhones or dumbphones. Oh, and one guy with an HTC HD2 on WinMo 6.5 I think (or whatever it is).

9. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

Sounds like a fun project to work with. If they can get the Market working on it, I might even try it for anything other than the occasional flash video.

I do hope, however, that it will get Gingerbread. That OS should bring all the much-needed imrpovementz for tablet usage I would like to see.

10. Battlestar macrumors 6502

11. TorontoLRT macrumors 6502

^That's exactly what a lot of people do. Also, I wouldn't want Android on my iPad, but I'd love it on my iPod Touch.

12. err404, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

err404 macrumors 68020

I understand the sentiment, but those are the worst reasons ever...

Freedom of choice is not a foreign ideas here. JB is already a very common topic on this forum.

The Open Source issue is do to restrictions in the GPL, not Apple's ToS or EULA. Besides, high profile Open Source apps are available in the store right now. As for Java; the restrictions are with using common shared installs of those frameworks. If you want to use those techs in your app, just include the binaries.

If someone bought an iPad to do this, they're not really showing Apple the 'middle finger'. BTW, installing OS X on a PC is not a valid use of the license. This is not a good comparison to installing an Open Source OS on a device.

For the record, I get the 'just for kicks' part and I do have iDroid installed on one of my devices.

The reason people don't care much about it is, while it's entertaining to play with, it's a pretty poor experience on the iDevices. It's missing the hardware buttons, the drivers are very buggy and since this is not a 'blessed' android device, no proprietary apps like Google Maps or Google Market. I'm sure the performance issues could be addressed in time, but I doubt before the release of android 3.0. At which point they need to start over. Someday iDroid will be useful, but it's going to be a long time.

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

So many fanboys in this thread, sorry but being a blind fanboy makes people sound just plain dumb. I think it would be pretty cool to have a dual boot with Android, something to play with that appeals to the tech geek in me, regardless of which OS is "better".

Part of the reason also is that Apple's hardware completely blows away anyone else's hardware, the ipad is just pretty swank and well put together, it just screams quality. Android does have some strengths against iOS and some of us might want to dual boot into it at times.

14. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Probably. I have Win7 running natively on my macbook Air that I'm typing this on, Win7 suits my business needs more, but at the same time I love the Macbook Air hardware. I don't consider myself a fanboy of any company, I just use what works for me.

15. err404 macrumors 68020

The problem is pragmatic. I have iDroid (Froyo 2.2.1) dual booting on my iPhone 3G, and it is a sight a to see. The problem is I don't feel that this project will reach a sufficient state of maturity while Froyo is still a relevant version of Android. As it stands right now, this project is not 'usable' for much do to stability, battery life, performance and missing non-open sourced components that many find essential to the Android experience.
    I certainly didn't intend to suggest anything negative about "Android Proper" running on a certified device; however, there are so many short comings, that you would be doing a disservice to Google by using iDroid as a window into the Android world.

I do wish the iDroid team luck in getting these issue resolved, but I'm just not very hopeful.

16. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Knee-jerk reactions condemning a very interesting project show knowledge of this sort of thing roughly equivalent to that of a grouper.

Anyway, looks awesome! I might have to try this,

17. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

None of us "knee jerk fanboys" could give a damn what you do with your iPads. But when us "fanboys" look at people pronouncing their desires to do something that would be just a pure waste of time, counterproductive, and downright stupid, we can't help but make fun of it.

18. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Oh really?

Why are you in this thread jerking your knees then?

If calling something stupid and a waste of time without having the faintest idea what it's like to actually do it isn't a knee-jerk, ignorant reaction, I don't know what is.

You might want to get rid of the quotes on "fanboy", it implies you're not!

19. doboy macrumors 68000

Yes, please show them the middle finger by buying their $499+ product:D

20. err404 macrumors 68020

So... you're condemning the negative reactions of others towards the project, yet you haven't tried it out yourself?

I recommend that you load it up on your device before showering it with praise.
    (I was very excited about the project myself, but after using it for an hour or so, I'm skeptical)

21. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

What does freedom of choice have to do with this? Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's worthwhile or productive.

Is there really a shortage of development for iOS that you feel you need to switch it over to Android? Do you really think it's productive to try and Android up an iPad rather than just buy an Android tablet? Oh wait I'm sorry, you must not want to buy an Android tablet because they just suck so bad. I guess those nazis at Apple just brainwashed you into wanting the iPad over the competition.

So how does installing Android on the iPad give Apple any kind of "middle finger"? If I was Steve Jobs I'd just sit there and laugh my ass off at your meaningless "defiance" while I bask in my untouched market share and unsurpassed mobile OS. Do you know how many people would bother or even see the so called "need" to do this? Not even half of a percent of iPad owners. Your mindset doesn't make sense. Is your vendetta against Apple hardware or software? Installing OSX on a PC? Installing Android on an iPad? Apple's walled garden? What is wrong with you? If you think Apple is so crappy why do you buy their products?

22. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I've had it on an iPhone 3G.

23. matt90036 macrumors regular

I like this idea. I hope this will be fully developed and just not another "I can prove to Steve jobs that iPad can run android."

24. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

If they can optimize it for the A4, it won't be laggy! :)

25. Pinger macrumors regular

I see nothing wrong with it, actually it's something I did with my old LG VU cell phone with help from others on a LG VU forum.. We modded it so the LG VU would look and run like a iPhone, droid, Storm ect....
    Would it be so bad to have a iPad that can run Flash? :)