iPad UI Concept

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shanson27, Oct 15, 2015.

1. shanson27, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015

shanson27 macrumors 6502a

shanson27

What do you think about the iPad UI concept ? :)
    I just edited it a bit: The music and video icon shows now last played song and video :D

[​IMG]

2. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

Sorry, too inyaface, large, jazzy and kindle fire for me :(

3. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I feel that the icons are too big. If you want to improve the iPad UI, you can start by removing the translucent dock background. Or, change it to look like a 3D shelf on which the icons rest. Oh, wait..

4. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

How does that improve the UI? That's just a stylistic choice.

5. Andres Cantu, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015

Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I think the idea of this design is neat, just not the design itself.

The iPad needs to have more than just a grid of icons to be a productive device (especially because they icons leave a lot of space that could be better utilized). Larger icons with more information in them such as those could help. Perhaps in iOS 10?

6. username: macrumors 6502a

Personally I don't understand the reasons behind it. Why make the icons bigger?
    What does this UI do that the other one does not?

One thing might be that the cards can display info from within the app which could be useful. Eg the notes icon could display the top note

7. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

If anything is going to improve iPad usefulness, the icon grid needs to go. We've had the same icon grid since day one of iOS.

8. TheRealCBONE, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015

TheRealCBONE macrumors regular

I don't know how Apple can think that the same old stale justified grid of dead icons and massive amounts of wasted screen space is acceptable anymore. It sucked in Windows a zillion years ago and still sucks today.

The concept is a little busy for my needs. I would prefer something closer to Windows Phone with variable sizes. The idea is nice though.

9. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

It's a neat concept, but if you think things lag now, just try adding the gaussian blur into all of the icons......

10. cbrand493 macrumors 6502

I've got the best idea for the iPad Pro UI:

[​IMG]

11. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

So you don't want the iPad Pro to be a good tablet?

12. cbrand493 macrumors 6502

No I want a proper OS on the iPad pro that can actually run desktop apps.

13. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i love that concept for iPad, even if you can only run ios apps. the general 'gridded' icon setup is most boring these days. im sure the JB ipad can do this, but simple UI tweaks for regular ipads would be most fun :)

14. shanson27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shanson27

I added some design changes and improvements, thank you guys

15. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Then you don't want a tablet and shouldn't get one.

16. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

For me the current iOS icon size is fine, the tiles should just have 'live' animations. Like the new live photos on the 6s/6s plus but in small dense icon format.

17. engineerben macrumors regular

engineerben

Man, maybe I'm in the minority, but I have a real problem with the whole "live tiles" concept. I really don't want a bunch of icons twitching around vying for my attention on my home screen. I like that the clock tells the time, I like that the calendar tells the date, and I'd like for the weather icon to show local conditions. But I've installed Windows 10 on my Windows box (it ran Win7 before) and the animated tiles in the start menu will be the first thing I turn off, when I figure out how to do it. I can't imagine that on the home screen of my phone!

18. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

I think it would have to be set by the user as a form of notification. In no way would I want 20+ logos animated at once. Your examples offer functionality which is the purpose I intended I would just like more. Like you say live weather, I'd like my favourite team score update when they play (football/soccer if your from the USA) via a live app logo. I'd like a visual notification if a new episode of my favourite show is on netflix, or that a sports game had started via a streaming app - via a live icon.

19. engineerben macrumors regular

engineerben

Okay, I'm with you on that. A live score that's updated by the app is a good example.

It's just when someone says "live tiles" my mind goes instantly to the store displays for Windows 8, with the Metro interface on the screen with all the tiles changing every few seconds. Makes an impressive display, I suppose, but I can't imagine living with that every day!

20. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Tastefully done with some restraint and I think it would work well across the board, Watch, Mac and iOS. I agree if it's done like a Windows 8 interface and everything refreshing at 30fps and looping for 10 seconds then no, just no!

21. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

That's like an outdated web design from 5 years ago, trying to be a flat design. I am sorry, I don't like it.

22. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Interesting, keep refining it.

23. mrex, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015

mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

But it has a nostalgic value! It always reminds me being a kid and playing with win3.11 :D i still can feel the same after 25years!

Okay, i hate the ui of ios. It is so boring... And i only wonder is it because apple doesnt want to give you more freedom or is it because ios doesnt "bend" to allow it without significant changes.. Another good example is a live wallpaper in a lock screen. But it needs you to push the screen to see it moving. Seriously? No automatically, only when you push it. Why on earth i would like to push the lock screen just to see the live photo? And yet... It doesnt even work on your homescreen. Cmon!? Sadly as it sounds...

And for the op... Looks like huge tiles on somekind of tv ui. Maybe the next generation apple tv with metro icons?

24. Undo, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015

Undo macrumors member

Very nice work! I like your vision and the direction you're headed with the "live" aspect. I have to agree it's looking like a web page, though. I think it's mostly the app titles. What I like about the current UI is that the names of the apps are separated below, so that the icons speak for themselves almost and look "touchable" (as opposed to looking like content holders). But great job putting this together!!!

25. cbrand493 macrumors 6502

Surface/Surface Pro/Surface Book?