All iPads iPad update cycle now expected to be 2 years?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Still100, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Still100 macrumors regular

I think the iPad Air 2 was replaced by a newer iPad after 2 years? Can we assume this will be the case from now on?

Do you think there will be an update to iPad Pro 12.9 this October? Or even April 2017?

If so, I really wish Apple would say that the iPads will be updated every two years... I would have bought the iPad Pro 12.9 on launch day last year!

2. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

It was a year and a half and you can't base a pattern on one instance.

It would be foolish to not at least put in the latest processor every year, regardless of whether anything else gets upgraded or not.

3. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Original iPad Air 2 launched October 22, 2014

the 9.7 iPad Pro launched March 31st, 2016

22 months lets say 2 years. Tons of Features but the CPU is only 40% Faster.

I purchased my 9.7 Pro because Its a Revolutionary Product every iPad Since Day 1 is just a big Display, The iPad Pro is much more.

Question is by March 2017 What Could Apple Possibly Add to make people Upgrade. ?? Nothing.

4. Still100 thread starter macrumors regular

So you believe they will update the 12.9 iPad this October?

They do seem to be releasing a new chip every year but not necessarily the same sized iPad with it. Going by that we should expect a new 12.9 this year or another size but the iPads have received a price cut so it also seems like they may have extended their sales life. The often correct analyst (Kuo) seems to think nothing new this year. But that would be a shame unless they said something.

I think Apple exec should just say what the plan with the iPad updates are. You just don't know when to buy at the minute and you think the current one will do for now for longer than you should. Especially with iPads since we keep them longer.

5. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

The iPad cycle is impossible to predict at the moment. There could be a new iPad next month. Apple could transition all iPad launches back to spring like it used to be. Apple could release one every two years. There's no way for us to know anymore.

6. Still100 thread starter macrumors regular

I was hoping for 3D Touch, possibly now some of the new features from iPhone 7. But the new iPads have always been one year behind the new iPhone so 3D Touch would be good with processor update for each. But I don't think they will this year because the macs are being updated and price cuts.

But I don't know whether to buy an almost year old iPad 12.9, wait till Oct, wait till April or find out that I'm gonna have to wait till next year. I'm not keen on buying anything that's almost a year old when it comes to tech.

7. Still100 thread starter macrumors regular

That's why they should tell us! It maybe they've transitioned to 12.9 for holiday sales, 9.7 for financial new year for business/education (FY start in April in the us like the uk?). Or it maybe anything. But since we keep iPads longer, it would be better to let us make informed decisions. Right now, I don't know whether to buy a year old device because nothing may come for another year.

8. cherylzyx macrumors member

cherylzyx

This is what I'm dealing with. I'm still using the iPad Mini first gen. It is beyond needing replaced, I just don't know if I should buy now. Is it possible that they will announce an upgrade next month? How likely?

9. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Look at it this way, coming from a Mini 1, any current iPad that you buy now is a HUGE upgrade, even if a newer one comes out soon. Would being 1 generation behind be so bad when currently you're about 5?

10. cherylzyx macrumors member

cherylzyx

Hahahaa true
    It's that thing though, if a new one is coming out next month I just really don't want to buy one now. :)
    I can wait another month to see. Do you know the date of the October Apple event?

11. Still100 thread starter macrumors regular

Would you consider the pro 9.7? It's a case of when a specific iPad is being updated. We can be sure that 9.7 is the latest and greatest for now, so buying that size you don't have to worry since it was released in March.

But if you're still looking at the mini or in my case the 12.9, it's impossible to say. You'd expect something for the holiday season but according to the rumours... Nothing this year. It seems like a mess to us as consumers.

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I don't know that anyone has confirmed that there is an October Apple event. But you're right, it may be best to wait a month or so. If there aren't at least some leaks or rumours about a new iPad launch by then, it's probably not happening until Spring at the earliest.

13. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

That's exactly why Apple doesn't tell people. They don't want you holding off on buying their products. They would rather you buy the current model that won't be current for much longer, causing you upgrade sooner. More money for them.

14. Math889 macrumors 65816

People don't need to upgrade iPad every year. And the IPad Air 2 is so good that makes me wonder if I should upgrade or not next year. I won't be purchasing an iPad Pro , because I like to wait for the second generation , . Usually, the second generation have a extra feature and it's more speedy. However, I am considering not upgrading next year , my iPad is doing fine , so why do I need to upgrade?Even with the iPad Pro 2 released , I don't find a reason to upgrade. I came from an iPad 4 and the Air 2 is a huge upgrade.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 9, 2016 ---
    I think there are 3 reasons for the upgrade If
    1- You always want The latest model
    2- Your IPad doesn't Get IOS updates
    3- Slow performance

15. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

22 months?

16. Math889 macrumors 65816

17. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Yes - unless I missed math class or not understanding previous posts.

18. cherylzyx macrumors member

cherylzyx

I need the smaller mini. My choice is based purely on size, I wish a larger one was practical for what I need.

19. Math889 macrumors 65816

If I were you,I would upgrade to mini 4 . Which is a huge improvement over the mini 1

20. edhchoe1 macrumors newbie

In my case, my ipad 2 is dying - slow response and unable to update software ver.. And I don't really care if I have the latest. However, if I buy one now and Apple releases a new iPad then the iPad I buy now will be cheaper after the release of the new iPad. That's my only concern. it would be wise to wait until mid Oct. to see if Apple will announce a new iPad product or not.

21. bensisko macrumors 65816

Don't try to chase an upgrade cycle. Buy the iPad you want, when you want it.
    Unless you're REALLY hoping that the new Mini has Pencil support, check out the Mini 4 - it's an excellent device.

Looking at the Pro 12.9"? It's an amazing device and it's doubtful an upgraded device will offer a monumental improvement over the next one.

If rumors are to believed, no no iPads until Spring 2017 (and even then, minor updates with a larger update coming in 2018). If it eases your mind, think about that. Of course, do you wait until Spring or do you wait until 2018?

That's the problem with trying to predict release dates. Don't buy into it - buy what you need/want when you need/want it.

There are a lot of reasons Apple doesn't discuss it's product update cycles, and one of them is cannibalization of current products. Another reason is focus - I'm sure there isn't "one planned release of iPads" - they announce and release iPads when they think they have a product that is ready. iPhones are a little more predictable, but that hasn't always been the case.

I get buying a device and having a new one come out a month later, but that doesn't make the one you bought any less of a device.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 10, 2016 ---
    If you can wait, all the better. Rumors say no new iPads until Spring of 2017 (and that the Fall event will be a Mac event). If you wait, just don't fall into the "Well, it would be foolish to buy one now when Spring is just around the corner..." Trap.

22. edhchoe1 macrumors newbie

I placed an order for an Air 2 32gb just now. It will be coming in 8 days. I am betting that the 32gb was the iPad upgrade for the year.

23. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Enjoy. The Air 2 is still amazing.

24. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

I'm patiently waiting for the 12.9" to update because I want a True-tone display. I really like my iPP 9.7", but it feels a little small for the pencil. If I didn't have it, I'd buy one now regardless of update cycles but since I've got most of what I need and don't want to take a step back, I'll wait as long as it takes.

25. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I think it's highly unlikely they would adjust the prices of the iPads now if they were going to release an updated one a few weeks later. They would just introduce the updated one at the new price and adjust the other prices and storage options at that time.

So I think the next update to the iPads would be in 2017.