iPad usage for MBP+iPhone owners

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Danno21, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Danno21, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

Danno21 macrumors regular

Danno21

Well, I'm thinking of purchasing an iPad here within a couple of weeks, but I already have a MBP and an iPhone and I was curious on hearing the opinions of people that have all three devices and how their usage is on it. Do you regret purchasing an iPad, or are you really happy with it?

There are times when I feel bringing my 15" MBP is too much and my iPhone is too small to enjoy certain things like watching videos, browsing the web and using more media apps like games. Also thinking it'd be more enjoyable to access my iPad in bed rather than my laptop.

Thanks for any insight!

2. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I use mine all the time. From light browsing on the couch to video on the go. It's certainly a third device but still gets plenty of use.

3. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

had all 3, purchased ipad last a few weeks ago after 13 days, decided it wasnt worth the 800 on top of everythign else.

it was cool and i can see how it can be useful and definatelyvery mobile, but if u have th e other 2, it isnt necessary.

depends whether u think its worth it to you.

now the ipad mini...that could be worth it

4. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

5. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I have an iPhone, Mac notebooks and a Mac Pro and I highly recommend the iPad. Mine gets used a lot, all day everyday. It compliments my other devices doesn't replace any of them. Although my iPhone gets less use for sure.

Surfing, reading, dictation it's great, love the size, so easy to take anywhere and extremely useful whether it's work, leisure, travel etc..

6. gertruded macrumors 6502

With the change in telephone company data plans, I am going to give up my iphone when it wears out and go with a voice only phone, my wi-fi only ipad and my Macbook. It is nice to have connectivity when out of wi-fi range but not necessary for me. The new Verizon data charges are just too much.

7. Simbazz macrumors regular

Have all 3 (including an iMac) and each has its own use. When i'm lounging on the couch or in bed I use the iPad. When I want to watch DVDs etc. the MBP is perfect.

Some may say its a waste of money but I like having the portability of the iPad and if needed the MPB but would definitely say the iPad gets the most use.

8. Danno21 thread starter macrumors regular

Danno21

Thanks for the feedback guys. Greatly appreciate it. Will be purchasing one then by next week =)

9. DKatri macrumors 6502

My MBP is basically a desktop now, I don't really take it places day to day unless I really need to the iPad does 90% of what I need to do on a daily basis.

10. dickdaney macrumors regular

I have all three. Bought the MBP last. I use my ipad way more than my MBP. I really only use my MBP when it is just too annoying to use the ipad. Things like typing documents or spreadsheets, or using websites that are not touch screen optimized.

11. ToniqR macrumors member

ToniqR

I love having the iPad and it has fitted in really well with my iPhone and MacBook pro family! It's great to just pick up and have instant access to emails and the web etc. The large screen makes it better than the iPhone, and the more intuitive input of using the touch screen makes it much more enjoyable to use than the mbp.

In terms of usage, I still use my iPhone just as much for when I'm out and use 3G. My mbp usage has decreased quite a lot and I now only really use it for Uni work (ie not much during the summer break!), and I just love using the iPad for pretty much everything I can.

This may sound a little crazy, but it's kind of saved me money too as getting this £400 iPad has meant I no longer felt the urge to upgrade to a new £1500 mbp, if that makes sense? :)

12. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I have an iMac, rMBP, iPad, iPhone. The all have their separate uses. Phone for obviously phone features and for consumption when it is not appropriate to pull out my iPad(mostly work), the iPad for lounging around the house when the kids takeover the TV and when traveling. The iMac when I need the screen real estate. And the MBP for when traveling and needing to do school work.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have a MBA, iPhone 4s and new iPad
    I use all 3 extensively and for different things
    I wouldn't want to give up any of the three

MBA - standard computer things, documents, presentations, video editing, etc

iPhone - calls, email, iMessage, camera

iPad - book reading, watching videos, work email, work notes

Evernote and Dropbox on all 3
    The ability to connect to the 'net without WiFi on the iPad is critical for me on the road
    I added the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard to the iPad and it made it a much more integral part of my work flow

14. captainamerica macrumors member

I've had my MBP for 2 years, my iPhone 4s for 7 months, and a new iPad for a few weeks.

My MBP is used for content creation/consumption, my iPad is used for content consumption on the couch, and my iPhone is my communications device and prosthetic brain.

15. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Just like other people have mentioned. I use the iPad in bed, on the couch, and bring with me when we go out because my daughter loves it :)

My Mbp is my desktop
    My iPhone is a phone and used for texting

They all have different uses. If you have children. They'll love it, but you might never get it back. :p

16. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

I bought the new iPad at launch and returned it within the 14 day period. It only got used while I was sitting on the toilet. Beside that, I do everything else on my phone and my Mac.

17. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

You should consider prepaid; data is much more affordable.

Back on topic: I'm debating getting an iPad also. My situation is different because I have an Android phone, so I think I would make use of an iPad if I had one. I also have a MBA that's due to be replaced. I'm thinking of getting the slightly less portable 13" MBP, so maybe an iPad would be useful if I didn't want to carry it around. I'm just questioning if a regular iPad or iPad mini would be more useful for me.

18. Skika macrumors 68030

I have all 3 and since the iPad the other 2 get much less use :).

You will find uses for the iPad you didn't even think about before you had it.

At least that was the case for me.

19. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I have all three and an iMac. Sort of tech overload, but each has its use. The iPad form factor allows you to take it places and use it in ways that just aren't possible or pleasant with the other devices. It's my ebook reader and couch potato device among other things.

20. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I don't have a MBP anymore. I had a PC laptop with iPhone and iPad though, and then my PC broke so I'm using an old 2006 original Macbook (LOL). The ipad is great and I use it all the time, but I find I mostly just use it for reading books and computer tasks when I'm not in my room. When I'm in my room, though, my computer is what I use. It's just easier I think to have a full keyboard and real multitasking. However, before the iPad, I would take my computer places with me, and that's not necessary anymore.

hopefully I'll be getting a MBA if I can afford it soon, and then I'll be a little more fenced I'm sure, with the portability it offers. I think I'll still use both for their different uses though.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I have MBP and iPhone and never use my iPad. I liked the idea when I'd bought it though, so I'm not sure. Maybe I'll start using it more when I'm not on vacation anymore.