iPad: Vending Machine

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Velin, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Initially I couldn't understand why Apple would so cripple this device with no USB, no multitask, no flash, and a fail wireless file transfer system.

It dawned on me, the iPad isn't a computing device. It's a vending machine.

It's locked down ridiculously tight and married to the iStores. Apps, books, music, movies, all delivered via the iStores -- after you pay the tab, of course. That's the iPad's raison d'etre: a portable portal to get your dollars into the Apple iStores and away from Hulu, Amazon, and all other content providers.

You can't even watch online videos on this iPad (flash). Instead, get used to pumping quarters into the iPad jukebox for stuff to read, watch and listen.

And you're going to buy this thing? Really?

2. Surely Guest

Surely

I wasn't planning on buying it, but now I am just to p*ss you off.

3. Velin thread starter macrumors 65816

Velin

4. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I got a hacked AppleTV that can play any video format off my network and off the internal HD.
    So trust my ipad will do everything I need it to do, without the use of the Itunes CRAP Store. :D

5. Surely Guest

Surely

No. I wasn't going to buy one because I don't need one. I don't agree with your "words". You don't need to use the iStores.... For example, I buy my music from Amazon.

You words are whining. Wah wah wah.

6. drjsway macrumors 6502a

Of course I'm going to buy it. Most people also buy things from actual vending machines and as long as something comes out when they put in the quarters, they usually don't complain.

That is why I always knew the tablet wasn't going to be OS X based. Why would they release a $500 mac with super-slim margins and cut into their very profitable MacBook business? That's the reason PC companies are losing money.

With their new iBook, App, and iTunes stores, people are happy for a convenient way to consume media and Apple makes money. It's a win-win.

Apple has already saved the music industry and now they'll do the same for newspapers, magazines, books, and maybe even movies. For software developers, it'll be another gold rush.

So who is losing here? The people who want the OS to be open just so they can play their pirated xvid and mkvs and download torrents and cracked software?

7. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

To further the analogy, why not shake (jailbreak) the vending machine?

Hopefully the iPad works better than the vending machine at my work, any time I pick a bag of crisps (chips), they get stuck.

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Of course they are trying to control the multimedia content on the device. They aren't even attempting to hide it. I'm actually amazed that more people aren't up in arms on it. They want their 30% of every app, movie, music, and now ebooks that people use on it. Even fully knowing this, people (including me) still buy their products.

9. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I wonder if that will even be possible if people only have an iPad and don't have a computer also.

10. SwooshOU macrumors newbie

I don't see why Apple doesn't give us everything at their cost and not charge us for content.

;)

Heaven forbid a company wants to *gasp* MAKE MONEY!

11. jamesapp macrumors 6502a

Before the ipad came out I wondered how it would work. I can kinda see the restrictions on the iPhone, it is so small, and it is a phone, I mean i don't know of a lot of other phones where you can install software from different places. So I wondered how the ipad would work, I don't know maybe it's a trend. But there is just something wrong with only being able to get content software music movies from apple.

12. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Fair enough. Don't buy Apple then.

I have a coffee machine that only uses capsules made by the same manufacturer. I could drink instant coffee instead, but it tastes crap!

13. fkntotalkaos macrumors 6502

Exactly what i was thinking. Taking my mbp to the local starbucks is a major pita.

14. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Actually, I just want to have control over my device.

15. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I rip my CD's and DVD's into my Macs for enjoyment. One is not necessary tethered to the Apple store.

That having been said while it would be nice to be more
    open, the tight integration between hardware and software is Apple's strength. Love it or loathe it, it works for millions of people.

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

17. dfweyer macrumors newbie

18. Velin thread starter macrumors 65816

Velin

Well here you have it. Hulu: subscription only on the iPad.

So with the iPad, you can buy books. Buy music. Buy access to newspapers and magazines. Buy movie tickets. Make dinner reservations. And now, you have to buy access to Hulu.

Hope you iPad lovers like subscriptions. Because it seems to do anything at all on the iPad, you're going to be paying, paying, and paying some more for all kinds of subscriptions.

Wonderful. As I said: glorified vending machine.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Is there something about rumors you don't understand?:rolleyes:

20. mac88 macrumors 6502

I don't like the idea of Hulu being subscription only for the iPad. I hope this doesn't flow over to the mainstream notebook/desktop crowd.It probably will and I guess that's that way it goes.

21. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why the venom towards someone that wants an iPad?
    If you don't like the product, don't buy it
    It's not like it is stalking you and forcing you to buy it

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I can't wait to get my magazine subscriptions on here :D

23. mac88 macrumors 6502

I agree. I saw a video on how Wired Magazine is going to look for this (tablet) medium. I was amazed by what they were doing and porting it to this type of device. I'm sure these type of magazines are only going to get more flashy and eye popping too.

24. bossxii macrumors 68000

Wonderful. Another person throwing a tantrum over sometihng that's not officially released. :rolleyes:

If you believe Hulu will remain free on your desktop forever, your simply delusional. They have just been handing out the crack to get the kids hooked and then they start charging you for what you hooked on. Not exactly a new concept, but clearly one some people can't understand.

If you take off your blinders and look around, you computer, no matter what it is PC, MAC or otherwise is nothing more than a 'glorified vending machine" You pay for internet access, you pay for software, you pay for music either CD form or online, movies, books, magazines etc... Even the poor kids sucking fuzzy movies from the torrent sites still pay to be hooked up to the web.

It's all just a matter of how much your willing to pay for what you value as entertainment. Everything I already own on my iPhone from movies, music, apps, podcasts, my pictures, home video's and so on will work on the iPad so sounds like a pretty good way to consume media on a 9" vs a 3" screen.

No one is getting the NYT for free, or any magazines either. People usually pay for subscriptions, now they have the option to consolidate those to one device and one form factor if they chose too. No one is forcing them to buy the "digital" version.