All iPads iPad vs iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by steineronie, May 15, 2013.

1. steineronie, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013

steineronie macrumors newbie

Hello, I currently have a 32gig iPad 4 and I was at the apple store yesterday to look at the iPad Mini and it felt so much thinner and lighter. So what I was thinking about doing is selling my iPad 4 right now before the price drops and buying an iPad mini, then selling that when the iPad 5 and iPad mini 2 come out and decide which one to get between those two. I need advise weather to keep this iPad and wait for the iPad 5/iPad Mini 2 to come out or if I should just sell my iPad before the prices go down and buy a Mini while I am waiting. My main concerns are: resale value, and since I'm use to retina displays I don't know if the Mini screen will bother me. So if you could comment on what you think I should do, it would be very helpful to me.

Thanks in advance,
    Steineronie :) :apple:

2. azure247 macrumors 6502

If you buy an ipad mini now and sell the mini when the mini 2 comes out you come out to a big loss. The BEST advice is to sell the ipad 4 now and WAIT for the mini 2 or ipad 5.

Furthermore, the mini will fetch even LESS money since the mini 2 will be out.

3. steineronie thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks. I'll probably just wait to sell my iPad until like a week or so before they announce it, then the real question will be weather to get either the iPad 5 or the Mini 2

4. irDigital0l Guest

Why not wait until both are released, go into an Apple store, try both of them, then decide on your personal liking instead of hypothesizing which might be better?

That's what I would do.

5. steineronie thread starter macrumors newbie

I was going to do that, it's just that I'm going to sell my current iPad before the resell value goes down because of the new iPads. Thanks for replying :)

6. azure247 macrumors 6502

Why not sell now? Demand will go down by then. Even ipad sales have dwindled.

7. steineronie thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know if I should sell now or not because I don't know how long it will be until they unveil the new iPads, it will probably be around October though. I heard that there were rumors about it being released in mid summer, but I'm not sure. I just don't want to spend to long without an iPad, I use it almost constantly throughout the day for school and at home.

8. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

There will be u and tons others who chose to sell their Ipads a week before the new one come out. That would drive the price down even more.

My advice, if you so much like the ipad mini weight and size. Then u should sell ipad 4 now and get the mini. U have like 5 months to make good use out of your device, apple decrease the price then who care. How do you know Ipad mini 2 will have retina, if it does who know about battery?

IMO, Ipad 4 is far superior in every aspects but thats just me.

9. steineronie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of the help everyone, now I have a better idea of what to do :)

10. AppleRobert, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013

AppleRobert macrumors 603

You read the rest, now read the best! :)

Do you have to sell the iPad 4 to buy the Mini? The 16gb is only $299 at Walmart.

Buy that Mini and try it for 14 days to make sure it is the ipad you prefer for now since you might be turned off by the resolution and PPI.. If not, return it and keep the iPad 4. If the Mini is to your liking, then sell the iPad 4.

Better safe than sorry!

11. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

Buy it now.

If you don't like it take it back.

We're always wanting to have the newest, bestest, most shiniest things.

Just buy the one that you'll make most use out of NOW!

12. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Buy a Mini now...see if it can replace your nice Retina'd iPad 4 and decide later on selling the 4. If it isn't a suitable replacement for the 4, I'd say just keep both if your wallet can handle being light. Then when the Mini 2 and/or 5 come out sell whichever one you want and upgrade if you are so inclined.

Personally I think there is some convenience of owning both a smaller tablet and a full sized one. I don't think you should look for the Mini to replace your 4, unless you know its just for the moment until the next gen is announced/released.

13. pod5g macrumors regular

In my experience, once you go Retina, you can't go back. The iPad has a Retona display and A6X processor. The iPad mini has a non-Retina display and A5 processor. The iPad mini is basically a small iPad 2 hardware wise.

14. azure247 macrumors 6502

I have a urge to buy a mini but this is what kept me from buying it. Why would I want to buy 2011 technology at 329 dollars even if the smaller form is nice.

15. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

i have an Ipad 3 (retina), an iphone 4S/5, a rMBP 15" and 13" and i still bought an Ipad Mini. having all these retina display Apple products before i got my mini yet i am satisfied with the screen display of the mini.

in my experience, once you go retina you can still go NON-RETINA. i am a simple person. it's just about being satisfied with what you have and what you can get and not complain with what you don't have and demand that they give you what you want.

16. pod5g macrumors regular

I'm not trying to be stuck up or anything. I can use my old iPod, I don't go crazy insulting the non-Retina display. It's just that the Retina display is SO much better.

17. madgibbon macrumors member

I sold my iPad 4 and bought an iPad mini. Fantastic device, the best small tablet IMHO, the form factor is great.

However after the honeymoon period was over I started to miss the display and performance from the iPad 4. I mainly use my iPad for games, photo editing and reading magazines for which I find the iPad 4 is much better at.

I've since passed the mini to my wife and purchased another iPad 4, I do notice the weight more now though.

I would suggest buying the mini from a store which allows open box returns such as Apple and try it for a week. If you still like it after that sell the iPad 4 otherwise return the mini.

If the next mini does have a higher resolution display/faster performance and the iPad 5 is lighter it will be a difficult choose between the two:)

18. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Who says that? iPad sales have been growing and growing.

19. ahendarman macrumors member

ahendarman

I have an iPad 4 and bought a mini recently for my wife. I ended up using the mini and gave the 4 to her. Portability and being able to use it rather inconspicuously won it for me. I hardly miss the retina display unless I put them next to each other.

20. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

Same thing here. I have an ipad 3 but got myself a mini and couldn't be happier. It's just so easy to carry and so light. I could take it with me anywhere I go and the ipad 3 stays at home.

21. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I agree with this, definitely the safest bet.

22. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

The size/weight factor trumps the retina display for me. A mini with a retina display will be an absolute winner.

23. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I think you should stick with iPad 5…Why? iPad 5 is thinner and lighter just like iPad mini…the only difference is screen size…so you will need to answer your own question is which screen size really important to you? I prefer full size screen for watching movies with readable closed caption. :apple: