iPad vs MBA for movies in bed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2ms, Jul 5, 2011.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

Anyone have opinions on how these two devices compare when it comes to two people lying in bed watching movies?

Of course, the MBA has a 13" screen which is better than a 10" screen. BUT, the iPad2 has an IPS display so it has better viewing angle which might be very valuable when two people sharing one screen.

Also, of course the iPad2 doesn't have a big keyboard sitting between viewers and screen and just generally is less flexible to position.

Is screen size overwhelmingly important or does these other factors mean the iPad can compete?

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

If this is the only thing you will be doing, get an iPad.

3. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

Of course, I would use either for all kinds of other things. The question I had was which one would be better on this particular thing.

4. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

The iPad. Someone would need to hold it though, or get a stand for it.

5. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Obiviously, an iPad is a better choice. An appropriate stand must be carefully chosen. Otherwise, holding it will become a heavy burden.

6. urkel macrumors 68030

TV.
    IF the intent it to view long media while trying to relax then why would you want to hold anything or have a device sitting on your chest when you can just get a TV in the room. And if having an "Apple experience" is required to get a good night sleep then get an AppleTV.

7. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

choice 1: iPad [it's the option you provided]
    option 2: TV [im assuming you will be propping the iPa or something, but still TV's have bigger screens, better resolutions, and well it's a TV!!]
    option 3: projector!! [lol this one is sorta a joke, but i have always wanted a projector just so i could project movies and watch them rather then other stuff. hahaha but hey this option will also work :p]

8. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

After experience with both, i would recommend the iPad by far. I've found its much less hassle if used in tandem with a streaming app (such as airvideo or zumocast) prop up with a pillow and youre sorted :)

9. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

The iPad is just fine for movies but I prefer my MBA because sometimes I like to do other things on the computer outside of the movie running

10. 7thMac macrumors 6502

11. Bigcclass09 macrumors member

get an apple TV and stream the movies to your TV save your eyes, unless you don't have an HD TV then you might want to add that to your list too, you should put what all you would need the ipad for, i could have got an ipad, but my dad has one, and the MBP was just more alluring to me.

12. AdrianK macrumors 68020

The iPad is 4:3 and the MBA is 16:9. It's really only older TV shows and movies that are presented in 4:3, for that reason you'll have a lot less usable space on screen for newer content which is 16:9, 1.85:1, 2.4:1 etc.

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The thing is that the iPad wouldn't get hot, but the MBA can open more files (VLC can open just about anything).