iPad @ VZW on 10/28... writings on the wall for CDMA iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jshort, Oct 14, 2010.

1. jshort macrumors regular

Anybody else agree? AT&T's actions at the latest iPhone 4 launch was writing on the wall for me that exclusivity was soon to be broken and this pretty much confirms it for me.

Why else would VZW be selling a WiFi only device if there wasn't a plan for that to lead into a wireless service being sold on an Apple device? My opinion is that this is just Apple slowly warming up the oven to stick a bunch of iPhones in it.

Your thoughts?

2. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I'm reluctant to wade into this whole 'iPhone on Verizon' deal because I REALLY don't care which company sells the thing! My gf has Verizon, and we can be sitting side by side and sometimes she gets calls I don't and sometimes I get calls that she doesn't. I don't love ANY cell phone carrier!

But I wouldn't draw any conclusion about the iPhone coming to Verizon or Sprint or whomever from what's happening with the iPad. It's a different product niche and the channels for distribution are a LOT broader than that established for the iPhone.
    There may be OTHER hints about a Verizon iPhone that mean something, but I don't think availability of the iPad is one of them.
    Oh and "why else" would they be selling it? Hmmmm...$$$...

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This is about getting the iPad in as many retail outlets as possible before a competitor even has a product to sell. Nothing to do with the phone.

4. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I think you are looking too much into this. The iPad sales have went down some as evidence that they are to begin selling at wal mart and target. Why not make it available to USA's largest wireless carrier to get it into the hands of more people?

5. zephxiii macrumors 6502

What? That iPad doesn't even have CDMA radio in it? That makes me disagree with you even more.

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It will when Verizon starts selling it. How do you think it will work on Verizons network? They will offer 1GB plan for $20.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Perhaps this aspect of the discussion should be directed to the main news story, but no, the iPad Verizon is selling is the exact same one that's been out since April...no CDMA chip.

It's just a Wi-Fi iPad paired with a Verizon MiFi hotspot device to provide the data service.

iPad + MiFi is something Verizon has been pushing almost since the day the iPad was released. They now just get to sell the bundle directly.

8. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

So what's the deal about them offering a 1GB plan for $20? Is that with the MiFi?

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes.

10. Syk macrumors 6502a

Using Verizons Mifi, no CDMA is built into the iPad. At least not to my knowledge.

I sorta agree with the other poster. This is about getting the iPad into as many hands as possible before other competitors release their Tablets.

11. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Before long they (All Carriers) will be selling all models of phones, I think there will be some short term limited Exclusive deals, however in Europe all carriers are starting to sell different phones on each carrier, I think Germany just started allowing multiple carriers to sell the iPhone.

I think this concept will be in the USA at some point, however there may be some exclusive deals, but I would not count on the likes of the Droid going anywhere but Verizon, but then again if the iPhone goes somewhere else besides AT&T then anything is possible.

12. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It doesn't say anything about the MiFi, just about Verizons 3G network.

13. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I just read the full article:

Verizon's 2,000 retail stores will offer the three Wi-Fi-only iPad models both as standalone purchases and bundled with the carrier's MiFi 2200 mobile hotspot device to provide service on the go. The bundles will be priced at $629.99/$729.99/$829.99, essentially the same price points as the corresponding iPad models with onboard 3G capabilities. Verizon will offer iPad customers a monthly 1GB data plan priced at $20.

14. Syk macrumors 6502a

October 14, 2010 08:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time
    Verizon Wireless Offers iPad at Stores Nationwide on October 28

BASKING RIDGE, N.J. & CUPERTINO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Verizon Wireless and Apple® today announced that iPad™ will be available at over 2,000 Verizon Wireless Stores nationwide beginning Thursday, October 28. Verizon Wireless will offer three bundles, all featuring an iPad Wi-Fi model and a Verizon MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot, for a suggested retail price of $629.99 for iPad Wi-Fi 16GB + MiFi, $729.99 for iPad Wi-Fi 32GB + MiFi and $829.99 for iPad Wi-Fi 64GB + MiFi. Verizon Wireless is offering a monthly access plan to iPad customers of up to 1GB of data for just $20 a month. In addition, Verizon Wireless will also offer all three iPad Wi-Fi models on a stand-alone basis.

15. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yes, I posted that above. I was reading the post in the news forum and they didn't post the whole article there, only a few pieces.

16. Syk macrumors 6502a

Yeah I see looking at the post time we posted at the same time :)

So Apple most have a ton of these things to go around now.
    Apple(online & store), BestBuy,Target, WalMart,Amazon, AT&T & Verizon. Not counting their other distributors, like CDW,MacMall etc. Hmm I wonder what my pricing would be through my Rep

I wouldn't be surprised to hear RadioShack to start offering them

17. hcho3 macrumors 68030

It's a business after al... What did you expect? You think exclusivity would last an eternity? No.

18. skiltrip macrumors 68030

The benefit to the Mifi+iPad vs 3G iPad is you can then also use your Mifi with your iPod touch or whatever else you want to use it for.

I'm also not fully convinced that at some point, even at launch time, that the iPads will suddenly have CDMA chips in them, and the Mifi combo offer will go away. It's interesting the combo prices are exactly the same as the 3G+Wifi versions from AT&T.

They wouldn't be able to even tell anyone that the iPads with have CDMA chips in them yet, because that would just heat up the VeriPhone rumors up by 1000 notches.

19. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

1GB for $20 is not comparable to AT&T's deal, whereas you get 2GB for $25 no mifi required

20. bearbear macrumors regular

The fact that Apple and Verizon are working together is significant. Remember everyone saying Steve Job hates Verizon because they passed on the iPhone? So much for that theory.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree, this is pretty big since for the last 4 years they never had anything to do with eachother.
    I wonder if they will produce a CDMA iPad or stick with the mifi and wifi ipad combo?

22. NYDiplomat macrumors regular

That's the realest statement I've today on the forums.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not just a broader channel for distribution.
    Its Verizon Wireless selling it, not an electronics store or a Target and walmart type of store.
    You dont see Sprint selling digital cameras or Game boys.
    Obviously Apple and Verizon did come into some sort of agreement and most likely more future Apple products will be available thru them.
    This is just an early stage of their business venture.
    Even though I hate Verizon I have to admit something is going down between them and Apple that never existed before.

24. thetexan macrumors 6502a

No, it's not.

Verizon is not in the consumer electronics industry. You don't see them selling MP3 players, digital cameras, GPS devices and so on. There is something much deeper to this.

25. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

But weren't they selling netbooks?