iPad WiFi + 4G renamed 'iPad WiFi + Cellular'

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Superman Y2K, May 12, 2012.

1. qCzar macrumors regular

I'm not surprised given all the complaints over in Europe and the like where it isn't 4G and Australian users were given full refunds upon return, even after 14 days.

This change doesn't mislead the global market like "WiFi + 4G."

2. Superman Y2K thread starter macrumors regular

Superman Y2K

The early adopters now have a unique box before the name was changed. :D

3. davenz macrumors regular

Wow. That is shocking. Learn about something before you buy it. Idiots.

4. ANinjaPeanut macrumors member

You're a moron. It was sold as WiFi & 4G, unless you know your stuff about different cellular frequencies then you were led to believe that you were getting 4G when, in reality, you weren't getting 4G and never would be. YOU are the idiot.

5. noteple macrumors 65816

Leeds you to believe something that may not be true depending on your country or current location.

Limits the "what are you stupid, don't you know it doesn't work with our 4G" discussions in returns.

Glad they change the name.

6. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Maybe now they'll get sued for misleading customers who think it can make "cellular" calls.

:rolleyes:

7. Redjericho, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012

Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, that's why he said LEARN about your stuff before you buy it, moron. He did not say "It's common knowledge that 4G isn't available to [Insert Region Here]."

8. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Umm...Apple wasn't wrong when it sold it as Wifi+4G. They had a pretty noticeable notice saying that it wouldn't work on LTE or WiMax networks internationally, and the notice is still there even after the change of the name.

9. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

So you're a poor consumer for not doing your due diligence. It's like taking your new car back and demanding a refund because you can't drive faster than the speed limit even though the speedometer shows higher speeds..

10. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

11. Superman Y2K thread starter macrumors regular

Superman Y2K

12. therationalist macrumors regular

therationalist

Apple caught trying to BS their customers once again with magical this magical that crap. not surprised they got bitch slapped. business as usual

13. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

There was no BS from Apple. Their mistake, if it can be called that, is assuming everyone would realize that 4G was maximum speed possible, not something readily available to everyone. Any BS is coming from those trying to accuse them of intentionally misleading customers. The facts were clearly spelled out on their website, and besides, most people who even know what 4G is know that they may not have it yet in their area. It's not Apple's responsibility to cater to lowest denominator, meaning the clueless few.

14. Ries macrumors 68000

If it says 4G and doesn't connect tot the 4G network it IS misleading advertising. it is no different than me making a myPhone 4G*.

*) Only connects to bluetooth access point in kazakhstan named 4G.

15. ANinjaPeanut, May 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2012

ANinjaPeanut macrumors member

I have a WiFi only iPad as I *do* know my stuff about different frequencies etc. and knew that 4G would not work in the UK. It is misleading to your average customer to state "WiFi and 4G" when, unless you know your stuff, you will never be getting 4G.

----------

It was wrong as you would NEVER get 4G in countries that weren't the USA or (I believe) Canada.

----------

That comparison is unbelievably unrelated. A more suitable comparison would be buying a computer which says it can connect to WiFi, but doesn't say that it will only connect to WiFi in certain countries due to different frequencies.

16. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

The analogy is flawed because the iPad does connect to 4G where it's available, where in your example the "myPhone" would be an outright lie. As I said, the mistake they made was assuming people would understand about 4G, or maybe by not marketing differently in non-US countries.

I think what's not being acknowledged here is that the perspectives for us US residents might be different than those outside the US. It's the exact same marketing, and I don't think US residents feel lied to. That's why I think callinng it a "deception" somewhat invalidates an otherwise valid point. It was a marketing mistake at worst. But it just was not a lie.

17. Redjericho, May 14, 2012

You pretty much just said the exact same thing again. You are saying the average consumer doesn't know anything about 4G, and when that guy said "learn about 4G before you buy it" you bashed him. He was telling the average consumer to learn what 4G is before spending the extra +$100 dollars. If they had bothered to spend 15 minutes and see where 4G was supported, there would be no problems. It isn't apple's fault that there isn't any 4G in Australia or whatever other country.

It's like I buy tickets to a show, but the show actually takes place in Antarctica. There is no way for me to get there, and though the people specifically told me that that is where it would be, it is now their fault for selling me the tickets to the show I cannot attend.

18. therationalist, May 14, 2012

therationalist macrumors regular

therationalist

proof is in the pudding

apple got bitch slapped and got forced to stop their misleading advertising.

Why should the average customer, especially Apple customer go out and find out whats available in their area or not? after all, apple's **** is touted to "just work". LMAO.

They got their ass handed to them in court and rightly so. For a company who claims their overpriced **** "just works", this is despicable.

19. TheWheelMan, May 14, 2012

TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

In other words, you're saying that the average Apple customer should be, as you so disgustingly put it, "tards" and not exercise any measure of intelligence by learning what they are getting before spending their money.

Gotcha... :rolleyes:

20. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I don't get what the big deal was. I bought an LTE phone knowing I didn't have access to an LTE network but I liked the phone and it still worked on 3G.... I'm not suing the company.

21. therationalist, May 14, 2012

therationalist macrumors regular

therationalist

They did learn what they were getting. Apple told them what they would be buying. 4G except thats not what apple was able to provide them. Apple tried to BS their customers and got stung.

why they used the term 4G in the Uk is beyond me. 4G doesn't exist anywhere in the UK so it can only be reasonably assumed that they did the 4G marketing to sell more ipads. No other reason. Misleading advertising like I said.

22. Redjericho, May 14, 2012

Do you know why people are encouraged not to swear? It's because it makes you seem unintelligent, and the good ol' USA doesn't want other countries seeing us as unintelligent. I think your post is a perfect example of the truth in this assumption.

Now because I'm not sure if you are actually serious, or are just trolling, I won't tear it apart. I think TheWheelMan explained it fairly well.

23. ANinjaPeanut macrumors member

You clearly don't understand what I mean; the average consumers knowledge extends to the fact that 4G is meant to be fast mobile data. However, even though 4G networks may be in place, the iPad will not connect to it as the frequency it operates on is different to the frequencies of the 4G networks anywhere else in the world; meaning that it can not and never will connect to 4G in that country.