All iPads iPad Wifi doesn't has GPS?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DGPMaluco, Sep 4, 2013.

1. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

Excuse me, but I don't have an iPad and I didn't knew it, but I read on gsmarena that iPad wifi only don't have GPS? Is this true? Doesn't anyone with an iPad misses feature? Every other OS tablet has GPS, it doesn't need to be 3G/4G version.

I was seeking this question because I have an opportunity to buy an iPad 3 new sealed for about 400€, 64GB version... But without GPS it's a no for sure. (Even my GFs nexus 7 wifi has GPS!)

I was hoping to buy the new iPad mini and hoping it would have a retina screen, but I always thought it had GPS.. Without GPS, idk...

2. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

No GPS on WiFi iPad models. GPS is built into the radio chip Apple uses. no radio chip, no GPS.

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

If you tether to an iPhone you'll get gps data.

4. tekno macrumors 6502a

Surely not. My wifi-only Nexus 7 has GPS - and it's quicker to lock than my Tom Tom - and it's much cheaper than the iPad mini.

I don't claim to know more, but I would bet you're mistaken and it does have GPS. It has to have GPS! My phone has GPS!!

----------

If I'm wrong and the iPad really doesn't have GPS, I would recommend the Nexus 7. It's definitely got GPS, even in the wifi only, plus the pixels-per-inch is better than Apple's iPad retina.

5. DGPMaluco thread starter macrumors regular

I know that the nexus has GPS my GF has one... I really thought iPad had GPS what the .. I'm shocked! I was really looking into the new iPad mini when it would come out but without GPS idk... Dammit I love iOS

6. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

I have 2 wifi iPads (a 1 and a 3, both have no GPS), and a 3G ipad 2 that does have GPS. Not speaking from a position of ignorance here.

7. DGPMaluco thread starter macrumors regular

Don't you miss the GPS feature? Don't you need it sometimes?

8. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

I use my iPhone when I need GPS, but I get your meaning.

9. DGPMaluco thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry if this sounds wrong but I assumed every iPad had GPS... Every cheap and high end android tablet has it and I really didn't looked it up until now, because an opportunity came by to buy a sealed iPad 3 64GB

10. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Yes I miss it. I love apple maps over android navigation, but since there's no GPS on my wifi model, I find myself using my Galaxy S2. Offline that is...

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

I researched the wi-fi iPad before I purchased it and knew it did not have gps.

12. DGPMaluco thread starter macrumors regular

I don't like neither use apple or google maps because they are not accurate in my country! I use a specific navigation app that is a variant of NDrive and offered free in my country also known as TMN Drive, but I still am interesting in the iPad mini 2 if it comes with retina, but I really have to consider the no GPS part! Or I hope apple changes its policies on the wifi model

13. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

FYI there are GPS add-ons available for wifi iOS devices. I use a Bad Elf Pro, but there are cheaper options such as the Dual XGPS 150 as well. They are available in both 30 pin and bluetooth devices (lighting devices have are not available yet, but have been mentioned as being tested.)

The advantage of using an external GPS is that they are more sensitive when used in high speed environments (aviation for example, the external GPS will get a lock while the internal iphone 4 gps will not.)

Note: iOS 6 introduced a nasty bluetooth external GPS bug where you have to sometimes unpair the GPS, reboot, then repair the device. My understanding is that the bug is fixed in the iOS 7 beta.

14. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)

Don't hold your breath on Apple suddenly adding GPS to the WIFI-only model of its iPads......

Also, probably it's not the smartest idea to buy an iPad 3 because some of the features and functionality of iOS 7 are not going to be useable on the iPad 3. That particular model has turned out to be Apple's red-haired stepchild, having been all-too suddenly replaced by the iPad 4. Just something to consider......

15. anonnymouse macrumors regular

No, you don't. The GPS data from the iPhone absolutely does not come through via personal hotspot.

Get one of these (or something like it) to add GPS via bluetooth to your wifi only iPad.

http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-lifestyle/car/xgps150-for-navigation-apps/

[edit: I see richdmoore also mentioned the DUAL GPS above. I have an xgps150 and it's worth every penny for my wifi iPad]

16. DGPMaluco thread starter macrumors regular

iPad Wifi doesn't has GPS?

Paying so much for and iPad and not having a basic feature like GPS is really wrong! If the mini didn't had it and the iPad retina did, I could understand it since the mini is meant to be cheaper.

Thanks for all the answers I really need to be looking into it.

17. DGPMaluco thread starter macrumors regular

18. hothill macrumors newbie

I'm shocked! I was really looking into the new iPad mini when it would come out but without GPS idk.[​IMG]

19. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

Incorrect.Check Apple's site.

20. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

My watch has GPS. It doesn't have a phone or WiFi. My iPad has WiFi but no GPS or phone. Same as my computers. My phone has WiFi and GPS.

Meanwhile my fridge has none of these features. Useless P.O.S! :rolleyes:

21. tekno macrumors 6502a

Does your fridge come pre-installed with a maps app? No, I thought not.

But the iPad Mini does - seems odd when the iPad Mini can't accurately determine your location. Especially when the iPad is well over £100 more than the better screened, GPS'd Nexus 7.

It would be like your fridge coming with an ice cube tray when it doesn't have a freezer compartment.

22. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

You're a rather humourless person, aren't you?

Maps apps have other uses besides turn-by-turn navigation. And when you have access to mapping info through WiFi you have pretty darn accurate location services. For example, using Find My iPhone I can see that my iPad is located across the street from where I actually am. I could cope with that when trying to get directions somewhere. I wouldn't try turn-by-turn. If I wanted GPS navigation I'd buy a device that doesn't rely on WiFi. And it won't be whatever device you keep shilling for.

23. bingeciren, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Meanwhile my fridge has none of these features. Useless P.O.S! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

You made me laugh. In fact i'm still laughing. Brilliant! I like that :)

On a more serious note however, my wifi ipad always knows where it is due to the location services. In fact, even more surprisingly, tethered to my iPhone, it even knows where it is while we travel in our car. I am very curious to know how it does that. Perhaps iPhone does pass some GPS data to the ipad.

24. tekno macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure that personal attacks are necessary.