Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 30, 2007
I'm sorry that you don't know how to read columns.

Ironic, coming from someone who claims the moniker "darngooddesign."

If the ZDNet tech writer can't figure out if there is GPS or not, it is highly doubtful that the average consumer can.

Apple's rather confusing specs page is most certainly designed to specifically serve Apple's purposes of obfuscating the lack of GPS in the WiFi-only iPad, to make it an easier sell to those comparing it to the Nexus, the Samsung and other competing devices, most of which do include a GPS chip in their basic models.

Both the content and the presentation of Apple's Buy Now section information have most certainly gone through numerous rounds between marketing and legal, to strike such fine balance (and successfully omit mentioning the term "GPS," while guarding against administrative action or a lawsuit). :rolleyes:

Its about blaming Apple because you can't be bothered to do a little research or at a bear minimum ask an Apple employee.

Also ironic, coming from a poster who is utterly confused about GPS tethering and earlier in this very thread repeatedly posted false information about the ability to tether GPS data from a stock iPhone to a stock iPad.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ironic, coming from someone who claims the moniker "darngooddesign."
You're right. I should change my handle to Darn-Good-At-Figuring-Obvious-Stuff-Out.

The information is in the tech specs. It says Assisted GPS under the Wifi+Cellular but not under Wifi-Only.

Or as someone else posted:
attachment.php

Boy that sure is confusing.

-----

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt in that having three columns in some cases might be confusing. You probably thought you were being smart in buying the Wifi model because under "Chip", the picture of the A6X chip is all the way on the left; those foolish people who bought the 3G version didn't get a CPU in their iPads. Not to mention that according to that chart under External Buttons and connectors, the Wifi model only gets "External Buttons and Controls" while the 3G version only gets "Connectors and Input/Output". Now I would have thought that both devices would get the Home Button, but according to that chart the 3G model doesn't have a home button.

And what about all the way at the bottom where they show the app icons. Which iPad gets that middle column of icons, and does that mean that the 3G model doesn't get Safari, Photos, App Store, Maps, Photo Booth, Reminders, and Camera? And what's the deal with the middle column of camera info? I mean it really is hard to tell.

-----

In regards to that ZDNet article. If the guy can't figure out if the Wifi model has GPS he really shouldn't be working for a tech blog. That or he's trying to get page views because a reporter of any merit would call their source. The article is actually about whether A-GPS on the 3G one is real GPS, not whether the Wifi one has GPS.

Last edited:

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
OP if you are so unhappy with this on the iPad why don't you either exchange for one with Cellular or switch to android. Who cares if the iPad doesn't use GPS for your location. This is why you have the iPhone, the iPhone will do all that you are looking for without paying for two data plans. I think you may have overlooked the fact that the Wifi Only iPads only use location over wifi.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
OP if you are so unhappy with this on the iPad why don't you either exchange for one with Cellular or switch to android. Who cares if the iPad doesn't use GPS for your location. This is why you have the iPhone, the iPhone will do all that you are looking for without paying for two data plans. I think you may have overlooked the fact that the Wifi Only iPads only use location over wifi.

He did exchange it but this thread has become more of complaint about Apple's site layout.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 30, 2007
You're right. I should change my handle to Darn-Good-At-Figuring-Obvious-Stuff-Out.

Don't The false information you were spreading earlier about GPS tethering between stock iPhone and iPad would certainly make this another falsehood. :rolleyes:

The information is in the tech specs. It says Assisted GPS under the Wifi+Cellular but not under Wifi-Only.

First, GPS information is NOT to be found in the Buy Now page, which discusses the differences between the WiFi and WiFi+Cellular models. There is not a single mention of the term GPS.

See this screengrab of what most consumers will see when buying an iPad and how Apple guides them through the differences between the WiFi-only and WiFi+Cellular models:

attachment.php

---

The specs snippet you reposted above is misleading, as it it rather hard to find, even if the consumer opens the specs tab.

Finding it requires not only opening a separate tab during the purchase process, but also wading through purposefully confusingly presented information. Here is the mess of randomly presented information the hapless consumer has to go through when the tabs are open:

attachment.php

Again, Apple can be very clear when they want to. In this case they do not want to be clear, but are obfuscating on purpose, to confuse the casual purchaser, in the hope that they will not notice the glaring omission of GPS functionality, which is available on most competing, comparably priced products.

(And no, most consumers do not spend hours researching $500 purchases, at least not where I live, but mostly rely on the stated and implied features shown on the product page).

Apple has recently changed the 4G designation as a result of a punitive administrative action, I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of GPS while touting the iPad's great "location services" is next on some agency's (or attorney's) agenda.

'Nuff said.

Attachments

• wifi or cell.jpg
    wifi or cell.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 143
  • iPad with Retina display - Buy new iPad with Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi and Cellular - Apple Store (U.S.).png
    iPad with Retina display - Buy new iPad with Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi and Cellular - Apple Store (U.S.).png
    91.6 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
(And no, most consumers do not spend hours researching $500 purchases, at least not where I live, but mostly rely on the stated and implied features shown on the product page).

Then most consumers are idiots and deserve to be taken in by unscruplous companies out to swindle them of their hard-earned dollars.

I, for one, check the product tech spec page and read it completely BEFORE going to the purchase page. The purchase page only contains the minimum information needed to make sure you are picking the product you want, you shouldn't expect it to contain ALL the information you need to make a decision for which is the right product for you.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
First, GPS information is NOT to be found in the Buy Now page, which discusses the differences between the WiFi and WiFi+Cellular models. There is not a single mention of the term GPS.
Of course not. Its listed in the tech specs.

The specs snippet you reposted above is misleading, as it it rather hard to find, even if the consumer opens the specs tab.

Finding it requires not only opening a separate tab during the purchase process, but also wading through purposefully confusingly presented information. Here is the mess of randomly presented information the hapless consumer has to go through when the tabs are open:

You don't open the tab during the purchase process, that would be backwards, you read the product and specs pages first. Its clearly listed under location.

How would you know what most consumers do? If you can't spend five minutes reading the specs of something you will spend $500 on, why would you spend the time needed to research what most consumers do? However, if $500 means so little to you that you can't be bothered to spen five minutes reading the specs, then return it and buy the 4g model; the extra $150 is chump change.

Only a fool goes to the buy it now before going to the product and specs pages. And the tech specs plainly say that GPS is only on the cellular model.

Now if Apple adds more detailed infromation about the GPS, its not because they were hiding info, it's because consumers like you have to have your hands held every step of the purchasing process. There is a reason why soap has instructions.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.