iPad Ipad wins, other tablets may aswell give up

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Oct 29, 2013.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Ipad has defined the market in the way Ipod has with MP3 players. Staggering to see people are considering other tablets on forums. £100-200 gets you cheap junk where as a quality a good user experience gets you an Ipad which offers much more.

2. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Apparently you have not used other devices.

Both Google and Amazon offer better bang for the buck than Apple with just as good quality at a lower price. Android battery issues are a thing of the past and you are able to get 10-18 hours of battery life with competing devices.

The ONLY thing Apple has going for it is IOS and the apps on the app store, but Amazon and Google play are catching up.

Give me 5 reasons why the iPad is the ultimate device.

3. leenak macrumors 68020

If you want to see entry level iPads at 16GB forever then yes, other tablets give up ;)

Competition is a good thing and those other tablets on the market do fill a niche. I know plenty of people that love their kindle fires.

I only feel a little sorry for Microsoft because they seemed to try to differentiate themselves but too bad in doing so they made themselves too similar to netbooks.

4. Kendo macrumors 68000

You answered your own question. Content (apps) and the best way for delivering that content (App Store and iOS) is why I pay a premium for Apple products. The design is a major, major icing on the cake.

You don't need 5 reasons because the iPad serves only one purpose, a mechanism to consume content and it does it better than everyone else.

5. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

I agree with this person. The reason Apple is getting away with still using 16gb as base model iPads and charging $100 for each incremental upgrade is because people will buy whatever Apple sells and follow the company like a cult. We would all be better off if people used critical thinking and purchased according to what the best deal was. This would force Apple to actually offer a better deal.

6. SL4VE macrumors 6502

carphone whorehouse are doing a tablet today for £49

regardless of anything its a device thats making a change and people will buy it

7. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

Amazon tablets are junk, they look nice and all but I dont like the dumbed down version of Android and I dont want to have ads on the device I bought, I know you can pay to have them removed, but that should have never been the case.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Although I agree with you, a LOT of customers disagree with both you and me. My wife doesn't mind the ads and save a few bucks. And for her, the dumbed down version is called the "easy" version.

They are selling like hotcakes.

9. panzer06, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Personally, I own an iPad Mini and a Windows 8 based 11" tablet that weighs less than the full iPad. While I prefer much of what iOS has to offer, the Windows tablet is a full computer with 64GB of storage and 2GB of Ram and can accept microSD cards up to 64GB.

However, the most important feature is that it runs a full version of Windows and only cost $300. It let's me access all websites and run most any program, even those not touch enabled. I carry a BT mouse for those occasions where the keyboard shortcuts don't do the trick.

No longer do I need to carry a laptop to client meetings. I don't just consume media; I run full desktop applications and need to access websites that require Windows scripts. The only reason I keep the mini is that it has Verizon data and can be used as a hotspot and it's a very lightweight book reader for Kindle. It also gives me a quick view of all my e-mail accounts in a small handheld device. For most anything else the 11" Windows tablet is more effective. Saving files, editing documents, and printing are all much easier on the Lenovo Windows tablet.

I agree that if all you need is a consumption device that looks really nice the iPad product is without parallel. But if you want/need a full featured computer is a really light package a Windows tablet might be the answer.

Cheers,

10. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

1. Optimisation.
    2. Apple is the best at making hardware and software wrk in harmony, other companies just decide to use Android.
    3. Never feels cheap.
    4. Largest App Store.
    5. Lower privacy rate so developers are more inclined to make apps for iPad rather than other tablets.
    6. GPU performance; overall performance of the A7 in the Air is 2X as fast as the A6X but in terms of Flops, it is a 2.67X jump therefor the overall GPU perforce is 205Gflops(approx.). Tegra 5 for next year is looking at 155Gflops
    7. No lag at least compared to "other" devices
    8. 64bit processing. I know the iPad Air doesn't have more than 4Gb of RAM to address but 64bit allows for much larger registers which really increase performance.
    9. It comes with great (professional) software for free (Pages, Keynote, Numbers, Garageband, iMovie, iPhoto)
    10. Find my iPad. If someone steals it; you can track them down :)
    11. Javascript performance is way ahead of the opposition, making browsing great and fluid.
    12. No viruses. I don't care if you haven't had on your "other" tablet, but there is a risk.
    13. It woks seamlessly with out macs. Work on a document on your iPad; then continue it on your mac.
    14. Constant 60fps on everything you do, something "other" tablets do not do.
    15. The support if something goes wrong is great. Anyone that has had to contact Apple knows there is no comparison with "other" tablets.

There is 3 times the amount you wanted and I wasn't even close on finishing. One thing you have to remember, no device will every be ultimate for everyone. There is people out there that just can't afford an iPad so they may buy an Android tablet instead. I don't have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is that then these people then automatically want to shoot everyone that has an iPad in the head. People need to just let others have there own option and accept that. iPad for me is the greatest tablet. I could never buy one of those Android tablets for many reasons but that is my personal option.

11. Kendo macrumors 68000

Wow all that sounds like...a laptop.

If you're gonna carry around a 2 lb Surface Pro, why not just get an 11" MBA (or UltraBook)?

It seems you need mostly desktop applications and using a 2 lb tablet is just unwieldly as a tablet. Aren't you better served bringing a MBA and a iPad mini?

12. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

What Android tablets get good battery life? I haven't found any this far.

13. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

This Lenovo tablet is plastic and only weighs 22.6 oz which is less than 1.5lbs and less than the 23.35 oz the ipad 4 weighed. It's not as classy as the iPad nor does it have the build quality but it's inexpensive (lists @ $499 but regularly on sale for $349-$299), light and let's me get work done anywhere.

So it's not the weight that's an issue. The 11" size is sometimes awkward but as I said it gets the job done and that's what counts.

Apple is blessed that there are many, many people who can afford to buy a device that has limited functionality and costs more than most people pay for their primary computer.

Indeed if the iPad Pro was really a tablet version of the Macbook Air with full OS X I might be tempted to pay $700-$800 as long as I could add a microSD card and connect USB drives. :)

Cheers,

14. AppleRobert macrumors 603

At least ipads hold their value. Try to "trade in" any android tablet at places were that is possible. For kicks, I asked Best Buy how much trade for the basically new just released Nexus 7 2013. They came back with a whooping $85, and this is the best current 7" tablet on the market. Not even 1/3 for the current cost of the 32gb, LOL.

15. Internaut macrumors 6502a

What exactly does iPad win? I had a play with a Tesco Huddl (£120, or £60 with sufficient Club Card vouchers), last weekend and it didn't look or feel like junk, and certainly a long way from so called landfill Android. I suspect Tesco can sell as many of these as it can get its hands on, over the Christmas period.

Don't get me wrong, the iPad is the better experience, and I have one because I can afford one, but the quality of tablets like the Huddle, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD (and HDX) are now good enough to ensure Android gains market share over (if not at cost to) Apple.

16. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

+1. Choice is good. I've got a bunch of different tablets and while the iPads get used most, I still find myself reaching for one of the Android tabs for certain tasks.

17. AppleRobert macrumors 603

They can gain some market share only because of price. That doesn't make the experience with any of the andriod tablets very good and I should know since I have been through plenty of them.

18. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Yeah and if I could get a Surface Pro for $300 I might have considered it. Of course the battery life on the Surface is negatively impacted by the use of full mobile Core i processors, while the Lenovo is using the Atom-based Intel chip. I can usually get all day on the Lenovo.

The Lenovo is not a super speedy device and I wouldn't try any fancy games but for work it does the job.

Cheers,

19. Macalway, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

Macalway macrumors 68020

I use my Kindle as much as my Ipad. I have the regular non-backlit version, which is much lighter than the Paperwhite

I also really like my Boogieboard. I think if they were to improve the contrast on this particular item I would be very, very, stoked

And I have a really nice Galaxy Note 8" which is almost crippled by Android :D

20. Naramis macrumors member

Android tablets look good on paper, but when you actually use one it's laggy as hell despite having better hardware than the iPad. The Galaxy Note 2014 has 3GB of RAM, yet almost every review complains about the lag..

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

22. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Lol. If anything, the market over the last couple of months and into the future is going to kill the cheap POS tablets. Already, you have a couple well built options that make the cheap tablets look like what they are - garbage.

Apple is ignoring the competition to get 5%+ Year over Year profit. If they continue this approach, the competition will continue to eat into the overall marketshare.

23. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

the iPad can work well if you write custom apps for specific industries but in general the iPad is not a tool to run existing applications.

There are many companies and governments that have standardized on the iPad and are writing apps that support their businesses or agencies and these are outstanding use cases but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the iPads in the field are purchased and owned by end consumers and they do use them primarily as consumption devices, which is what the poster was expressing.

For now Apple is not concerned since the overall market for these devices continues to grow. In a few years when everyone has one perhaps Apple will have invented the next new widget that everyone just has to have and we'll start the cycle all over again.

Cheers,

24. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

Nope, but nice try. :) The quality definitely isn't there with the Nexus 7. Not sure about Amazon, but I can't imagine them being much better. Android tablets will continue to suck as long as they keep up with the blown up phone apps for tablets.

25. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Not only that but some Android apps won't work on some Android devices at all. I have several and I have different apps on different devices. The Kindle is definitely the worst for Android compatibility (Though for price and ease of use for a certain class of user it's all they'll ever want).

Cheers,