All iPads iPad with good screens

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ventuss, Jan 6, 2014.

1. ventuss macrumors 6502

I see a lot of threads about bad screens, and my experience tells me there are no perfect screen, but there are very good ones, my niece for one has the best iPad mini screen I've ever seen.

Is it much to ask for those who consider to have a good screen, post pictures? It would be great to see the prize out there among the bad eggs.

2. brent1977 macrumors regular

My 1st gen Mini has what seems to me to be a great screen, but I don't think that's very meaningful since it seems to be the Retina screens causing Apple the problems.

Would have been thrilled if any of the Airs or rMinis I tried could have had a screen anywhere close to my original Mini.

3. ventuss thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried a few iPad 3 and 4 after their launch day and never managed to get a good screen, and I got an iPad Air now, and I keep telling myself there is no point in trying to find a better one, it is pretty good, still I wish It was great.

You got the Air, rMini and then decided to go for the mini?

4. brent1977 macrumors regular

Actually already had the 1st gen Mini and had been planning to get the rMini whenever it was released but decided to try the Air instead because of the redesign.

Had two Air (one launch day, one much later) both with screen very warm on left and very cool on right. Would have been happy with either temp if it had been the same throughout. Both also had uneven backlighting (brighter and darker areas).

Gave up on the air and decided to try the rMini thinking maybe issue was with Air redesign. Tried three rMinis all with even backlighting (as I recall) but all very warm near the bottom and very cool at the top. Again, either temp would have been fine if the same all over.

Had a 1st gen iPad and an iPad 3 before switching to the Mini last year. Was happy with screens on both of those. Have noticed color inconsistencies on various iPhones over the years, but it never seems to bother me as much on the phone since it's on such a smaller scale.

5. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I think this is something we will just have to deal with if we want iPads. Your experience mirrors mine essentially.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My rMini is perfect and before that my first gen mini was perfect.

Don't forget people don't come to forums to post, my iPad is perfect threads, true there are some but the majority of people are hear to ask for help or complain. That means what you see may not be indicative what actually occurs, i.e., you'll probably get a good screen

7. PDE macrumors 68020

Yes, but what is the probability of a person getting multiple defective screens over time? I'm on my third Air now - one bought in London, one from the uk online apple store and this one from the us online apple store. They all have faults: first two yellow left side, this one book spine 'shadows' and uneven backlight.

I'm going to keep this one, but it's far from satisfactory. just saying that this is most likely a widespread problem, even if most people don't notice it.

----------

Agreed.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

We don't know what the odds are, its impossible to say if its a widespread issue or not.

9. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I think it's pretty widespread and that Apple have sourced cheaper components. I'm giving up on iPad. Can't get a decent one, rMini or Air.

10. PDE macrumors 68020

I agree that we can't know for certain, but the odds of a single individual getting more than a few defective iPads when purchased at different times from different shops and even on different continents must be very low if most iPads are without issue.

11. bevsb2 macrumors 68000

I have an iPad 4 with a perfectly beautiful warm white screen with no flaws that I can detect and I think that my problem with the new screens has been comparing them to my iPad 4 which is hard not to do. I returned 3 iPad Airs with yellow screens before getting one that is not perfect but very good and I'm happy with it. If I do the split keyboard test the left side looks a little dingy but nothing noticeable in daily use. I also have the rMini which sometimes looks a little warmer at the bottom, but again not a problem in normal use. I believe the reports here of multiple screen issues and think the kinks haven't been worked out of this new technology yet, but most of the screens are probably fine if not perfect. I love my iPad 4 with its perfect screen, but the form factor of the Air wins. Also this is subjective, but I think the screens on both my Air and rMini have improved with use.

12. Closingracer macrumors 68040

I got a pretty good if not great screen from what I can tell and the only problem I have is 2 small dust particles which I can't really see without a flashlight so I dealt with that

13. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

The screen on my iPad Air is awesome. Maybe it's because I'm coming from an iPad 2 but whatever. Awesome is awesome. :D

14. patseguin macrumors 68000

patseguin

I bought an Air on day 1 and the display is perfect.

----------

What do you base this on? The Air has no problems and the display issues on the mini are a design issue from a rushed product launch in my opinion. I don't think there's any data to indicate that Apple is using cheaper components.

15. brent1977 macrumors regular

Ventuss, here are photos of my original Mini. In the photo, the bottom appears a bit warmer than the top; but I don't notice in actual use so my eyes clearly aren't as sensitive/perceptive as the DSLR sensor.

Wish the Airs or rMinis I tried could have looked half this nice.

Attached Files:

16. JGWolven macrumors regular

These forums will make you believe that good screens are a dime a dozen. I've purchased three iPads this release (2 air, one rMini) and all of them are absolutely fantastic.

17. brent1977, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

brent1977 macrumors regular

I don't need these forums to make me believe that.

I purchased five this release (two Airs and three rMinis) - all had screens that were one color temperature on one side/edge and transitioned to a different color temperature on the opposite side/edge.

18. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

19. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

Guess I got lucky with my Air purchased on launch day. Coming from a 1st gen iPad I feel the screen is the Airs best feature and I still am impressed with the vivid and crisp colors when viewing video on it.

20. brent1977 macrumors regular

Wait... do you mean we make it sound like defective screens are a dime a dozen? Or perfect screens are a dime a dozen? The term "dime a dozen" implies that an item is easy to come by.

My reply was to what seemed to be a post claiming that all devices are fine since you had no problems with yours.

----------

The problem being reported in these threads would not be at all visible when watching video or playing games. It becomes evident when an app like iBooks showing consistent white or gray content is displayed over the whole screen.

So not only is the issue apparently limited to only some units and apparently not something that all eyes can discern, it is also only visible when using the iPad for certain types of tasks and content.

21. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

It's useless to argue with people on here who claim they have perfect iPads. The fact of the matter is that this is an issue that Apple thinks is OK because many people won't even identify it. But to those who are a little more sensitive to color shifts, there clearly is an issue with many iPads. This is based both on my personal experience with many airs and rminis and the anecdotes on here. I simply believe that the technology has issues that hasn't been ironed out yet but that Apple thinks is not enough of an issue.

22. brent1977 macrumors regular

Exactly my thinking as well. Anyone familiar with MP3 or other audio compression knows that some people can detect the quality loss of compressed audio while most people (including myself) can't tell the difference beyond a certain threshold (which varies from person to person). That doesn't mean the quality loss isn't real - just that it is a reasonable trade-off which most don't object to.

And the most popular argument on here of "I like my iPad so yours must be perfect, too!" is just so flawed it isn't even worth disputing.

23. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

The Air has no problems? Eh? The 56 pages of complaints in one thread on Apple Forums and the many posts on this forum and it has no problems? I love Apple products - in fact everything I have is Apple in terms of technology and I am giving up.

So I'm afraid the Air has lots of problems - but I guess if you don't mind screens that are half yellow and half white, constantly crashing browsers and other Apps, I suppose it has no problems.

24. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

You have two camps. One camp says I haven't seen a perfect screen so there can't be any out there. Those people who "claim" to have a perfect screen must be half blind or liars.

The other camp says I haven't seen a bad screen so there can't be any out there. Those people who "claim" to have had 16 bad screens must be OCD or liars.

The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

25. JGWolven macrumors regular

I've done all of the screen tests, saved all kinds of gradient images - not one of my devices have an issue. I'm sure there are defective devices as many posts have claimed and pictures have proven, but to suggest that someone is lying is ridiculous. I'm perfectly content, and if you have gone through 5 different iPads in your never ending search to find a screen that suits your standards, then maybe you should invest in a different company since Apple clearly isn't meeting your standards.