iPad won't stay off when turned off(keeps rebooting)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pjny, Jan 4, 2011.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I cannot turn off my iPad using these techniques:

1) Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider.

2) Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

3) Using SBSETTINGS/POWER/POWER OFF.

No matter what I do the iPad keeps on rebooting.

I've had this issue since 3.1.2 and now on 4.2.1 untethered jailbreak using redsnow 0.9.7 beta 4.

I am using:

Activator, CyDelete, Fullforce, Infinidock, Lockinfo, NoLockScreen, RetinaPad, My 3g, MyWi, NoMute, RemoveBG, Fastcopy, Nolockscreen, nospot and StayOpened. I am not using Backgrounder.

MobileSubstrate List (ON) as well as tweaks listed above:

Activator, AppList, Displaystack, Fullforce, IconSupport, Infinidock, Libhide, Libstatusbar

What is preventing the iPad from shutting down?

Thanks.

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

That is weird. But why do you need to? Just mute it and turn on airplane mode and it uses next to zero power with standby time measured in what, weeks?

3. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had problems keeping the iPad off during jailbreaking. Had to repeat the jailbreak about six times because I was timing the reboot to where redsnow asks you to hold the power button and then press home.

I would like to avoid this issue in the future when upgrading jailbreak to final 4.2.1 jailbreak.

4. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

That would be a pain in the butt to do every time ya wanted to turn it off. Not a good work around in my opinion.

5. geko29 macrumors 6502

Why is it a pain in the butt? He's running SBSettings, so the process is actually easier. Swipe title bar, hit airplane mode toggle, flip hardware switch--takes well under 1 second. That's much faster than holding the power button for 5 seconds then swiping to power off, and waiting to make sure it does as you asked.

6. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

7. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

It's because your jailbreak is untethered. Unplug the iPad and hold power + home for a few seconds until the screen powers off, then release.

But really I'd recommend not powering it off, because you'll have to run redsn0w again to boot it back up.

8. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

9. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

Mine won't turn off when I plug it in to charge it. I like to turn it off from time to time to give it a "rest".

10. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Plugging in an iPad when switched off turns it on!
    Plug it in THEN turn it off. That way you can give it the rest it deserves... :)

11. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

I do exactly what your saying and the ipad comes right back on.

Forgot to mention, I stopped by an Apple store while Christmas shopping and asked one of the staff about this. His response was "its supposed to do this".

12. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Oh, weird...

13. dave006 macrumors 68020

This is the correct function for both the iPad and all 3 versions of the iPhone when they are not jailbroken. The Apple store staff member was / is correct!

If it is powered off and your plug it in to charge it, it will boot and then begin charging or display one of the low battery icons and then begin charging.

Dave