Ipad1 owners that did't use screen protectors?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 2macORnot2mac, Mar 25, 2011.

1. 2macORnot2mac macrumors regular

2macORnot2mac

I had a screen protector on my ipad1. But thinking about not putting one on #2. I've not had one on my iphone4 for quite awhile and have no scratches.
    Any ipad1 owners go without a screen protector since day one?

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I have never used a screen protector on my iPad 1 or my iPhone 4
    Never felt the need
    No problems or issues

3. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

No screen protector on any of the iphones I've had, or my ipad 1 or 2 and never have seen anything approaching a scratch. Now the back side is a different story.

4. St. Germain macrumors 6502

Same. I hate screen protectors. Never had one on my iPad 1 and never needed it. Resold it before the latest launch and the buyer commented on how well the screen was taken care of.

5. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

I loathe screen protectors. My iphones and iPad have never seen them and they remain in pristine condition.

6. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

A good quality screen protector is hardly noticeable and simply offers a bit more peace of mind. I'm careful with my touch screens, but not everyone who uses them is.

7. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

Two iPads that get heavy use daily. No screen protectors and no issues

8. aneftp macrumors 601

Here's a modified question.

If you have young children (say ages 0-6) you do use a screen protector on your ipad or even your iphone?

I'd highly suggest screen protectors if you have young kids. You never know what they will try to do.

My 3 year old niece drew with a black permanent marker all over my brother's brand new iPad 2 screen. Luckily I had put the screen protector on for him the day before.

iPads and iPhones around kids means you gotta have gel skins PLUS screen protectors plus using it in a carpeted room in case they drop it.

9. kipnosky macrumors member

Heavy daily usage with no screen protector. No problem so far:)

10. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Had my iPad 1 since day 1 last year. No screen protector used, and heavy use by my now 6 year old son as well as me. There are a couple of scratches on the screen but you have to be looking for them in bright light to notice them.

11. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

We develop for Apple products including iPhone and iPad. As you can imagine our iPad gets quite the use as we continuously test software etc. through the day. Couple that with it being thrown around quite a bit and moved around A LOT, i'm impressed that there's hardly a nick on the whole thing and the screen is perfect. NO case, no screen protector on it.

12. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

I have small nieces and nephews around at times, but I keep the iPads and iPhones up when that happens. I would never intentionally hand these devices off to young kids as they are not toys. Accidents happen but I can't believe the number of parents that allow little kids to play with them. They should be playing with a DS instead.

13. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Screen protector on iPhone 4- Check
    Screen protector on iPad 1- Nope.

No issues whatsoever...

14. melman101 macrumors 68030

About a month into owning my iPad 1 and having the Apple Case on at all times, somehow I got a scratch on my iPad 1. At that moment I bought a crystal film to protect it, and it made the scratch pretty much disappear. I have had success like that before with Crystal Films. Sadly, Crystal Film is not out till mid April for iPad 2 so I'm super worried whenever I use this thing :).

15. richchestmat macrumors newbie

I have the Power Support HD anti-glare and the big advantage is almost 90% reduction in finger prints. it also feels smoother - great for playing fruit ninja. It doesn't like flat reds though.

16. vstephenson macrumors member

as a lot of other people have said...unecessary

I used to bother years ago but now I think they exist solely to support a thrid party cottage industry

17. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

there's no need for a screen protecttor because the screen is so well built

18. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I'm more concerned about the back & the corners than I am the screen. I literally throw my iPhone 3GS around & while the back is banged up (never had a cover on it), the screen was perfect for over a year and a half until something happened & the screen got scratched. It is annoying, but I know I am getting the iPhone 5 this summer anyway, so I am not concerned.

19. 2macORnot2mac thread starter macrumors regular

2macORnot2mac

I would agree with this. I have a 2 year old girl, but I don't let her play with my iPad, she uses my iphone1. It's amazing how well she uses it. Knows more about it than my wife does.

I'm thinking of going without, unless I find a good screen protector. I bought the one you spray the ipad with water, and I think I'll take it back.

20. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

Old Man Caruthers

That's the difference between the get-off-my-lawn uncle and the dad.

Regarding the original question, I've had the iPad 1 for about a year with no screen cover and no scratches on the screen. I've actually had to have it replaced twice (thank you Apple!) when 1) it became unresponsive; 2) it started generating its own random taps. So I guess the longest I've had the same iPad is about 6 or 7 months. Again, no screen scratches.

I prefer the rich colors and the screen reflections over the matte finish with no reflections, at least for the iPad.

21. gigaguy macrumors 65816

As only 1 other poster has mentioned, the main reason I use a screen protector (an anti-glare) is not so much to protect the screen, but to make the iPad more usable in bright light and outside, makes a big difference.
    BUT I am toying with the idea of not using one on my ipad2 since I like the feel of the glass screen. but for outdoors or brightly lit rooms, no anti-glare screen really diminishes being able to see the screen. hmm.

22. MikeWilson macrumors 6502a

MikeWilson

No protector on my iPad 1 either but it lived in an apple case. Still, it's a dev machine like the earlier poster and gets passed around a lot. Still it's in perfect mint condition.

My iphone4 on the other hand has a few minor scratches and no front protector either.

23. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I'm guessing that was after your nephew cracked your niece over the head with it? :D

24. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

25. deeddawg macrumors 604

I believe so, but just because it's tough doesn't mean its impervious.

Just FYI, you don't have to buy a matte finish screen protector...

If I had to degrade the screen quality to protect it, I'd go without. However, I use the "crystal" dry-application "static cling" style like from Boxwave, Fellowes, SGP, and a bazillion ebay sellers and you basically can't tell there's a screen protector on either my ip4 or ipad1. I abhor the sticky wet-application style like Zagg or others, although their products are good for protecting the rear surfaces.

I think the choice of going with a screen protector or not really depends on the person. Screens can and do scratch under the right circumstances. There are many people who've never had a need for screen protection, and plenty who wished they had.

I see it as insurance. If nothing happens, then I'm out a few $$$ but otherwise no big deal since screen quality isn't affected. I also am more at ease when someone else is using my ipad. :)