Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
My journal leather (croc) case made for iPad 2 by Piel Frama is fitting iPad 3, but barely. Hoping the leather will stretch and relax to the new form over time.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
To my surprise, my semi-rigid Belkin snap shield for my iPad 2 fits, along of course with the smart cover. My favorite case, the Yoobao slim leather case, fits perfectly but it does not turn on/off the new iPad :(

So if you like to use the Apple Smart Cover and want rear protection for your new iPad, the Belkin works. I'm bummed that the Yoobao doesn't turn it on/off as I prefer to use that case.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
This is not true. I literally just bought an incase magnetic snap cover for iPad 2 and it fits perfectly! I bought it hoping it would fit, knowing I could easily return it if it didn't and it does. Even the camera hole is the right size.

My Incase Mag Snap absolutely does NOT fit my iPad 3. In fact, I tried two of them and the corner broke on one in the process.

Are we talking about the same cover?

http://goincase.com/products/detail/mag-snap-case-cl57970

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
I heard the pixelskin hd fits but can't confirm it.

I can confirm the Speck Fitfolio fits. Just picked one up at Walmart and using it now. It'll work for now, I just don't like folio cases.

bigsid05

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
To my surprise, my semi-rigid Belkin snap shield for my iPad 2 fits, along of course with the smart cover. My favorite case, the Yoobao slim leather case, fits perfectly but it does not turn on/off the new iPad :(

So if you like to use the Apple Smart Cover and want rear protection for your new iPad, the Belkin works. I'm bummed that the Yoobao doesn't turn it on/off as I prefer to use that case.

Belkin Snap Shield fits fine for me as well, did not expect it to.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Ion Carbon Case

I have the superb Ion Carbon Cover case

http://www.ion-factory.com/carboncover.php#

The new iPad will just about snap into this very tight fitting case but alas the auto sleep magnet open thingy no longer works, so I guess i will be shelling out for a new one if they make one.

Some of these case manufacturers must be so thankful Apple moved the magnets around.

jivemaster

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Anyone know if the Otterbox Reflex case for the iPad 2 fits the new iPad? I know it's probably going to be a little tighter, but it would be great to be able to keep using it until Otterbox make an actual version for the new...

Netquity

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
Speck

My speck smartshell for iPad 2 fits and fits snugly. No issues with Smartcover or camera.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I have an Incase leather Book Jacket that was used for my iPad 2, and can confirm that the new iPad fits right in!

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Using my pink Mobilevision Toblino 2 Colorwave microfiber folio case for now and it fits, if snugly. I will use it until some appealing "new iPad" folio cases are released.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I tried my son's iPad 2 SGP Harmonie on my iPad (3rd Gen) and it fit... Snugly but it snapped over the edges without any force.

Miao Ying

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
Posting to verify that the Marware C.E.O. Hybrid iPad 2 Case will fit the new iPad, although it will be a bit tight on the device. Don't expect to be able to put on more than possibly just a front screen protector, the case itself should be sufficient enough for the rest of the iPad.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
Posting to verify that the Marware C.E.O. Hybrid iPad 2 Case will fit the new iPad, although it will be a bit tight on the device. Don't expect to be able to put on more than possibly just a front screen protector, the case itself should be sufficient enough for the rest of the iPad.

Agreed. Also seems that the sleep wake is working. This will suffice until new cases are released.

Laserawesome

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Boston, MA
My Incase Mag Snap absolutely does NOT fit my iPad 3. In fact, I tried two of them and the corner broke on one in the process.

Are we talking about the same cover?

http://goincase.com/products/detail/mag-snap-case-cl57970

Yes this is the cover that I'm talking about, except mine is in black. I bought it new yesterday. The glass seems to sit up a little bit higher than it would on the iPad 2 but the corners fit fine. It's nice and snug but doesn't feel like its straining the case at all. Maybe because mine was new it fit better? Yours may have shrunk a bit on your old iPad?

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Yes this is the cover that I'm talking about, except mine is in black. I bought it new yesterday. The glass seems to sit up a little bit higher than it would on the iPad 2 but the corners fit fine. It's nice and snug but doesn't feel like its straining the case at all. Maybe because mine was new it fit better? Yours may have shrunk a bit on your old iPad?

I doubt rigid plastic shrinks. Regardless I tried it with two different Mag Snap cases. One broke from the pressure, the other bowed out and if I placed it onto a table and applied any kind of pressure it would pop right off. I also noticed that the tight fit was bowing the glass screen of the iPad.

Either you got a case that was somehow larger or Incase changed the design recently.

In either case, Incase has now put the Mag Snap on "fire sale" to get rid of remaining inventory. It's $25 on their website while remaining supplies last. They also updated their website to reflect which iPad 2 cases fit the new iPad. Unsurprisingly, the Mag Snap didn't get on that list, but rather priced for clearance instead.

Laserawesome

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Boston, MA
I doubt rigid plastic shrinks. Regardless I tried it with two different Mag Snap cases. One broke from the pressure, the other bowed out and if I placed it onto a table and applied any kind of pressure it would pop right off. I also noticed that the tight fit was bowing the glass screen of the iPad.

Either you got a case that was somehow larger or Incase changed the design recently.

In either case, Incase has now put the Mag Snap on "fire sale" to get rid of remaining inventory. It's $25 on their website while remaining supplies last. They also updated their website to reflect which iPad 2 cases fit the new iPad. Unsurprisingly, the Mag Snap didn't get on that list, but rather priced for clearance instead.

I just took the case off again and put it back on. Not only does it fit but it fits rather easily. I put the iPad in the case and pushed the whole thing in at once, that way all corners go in evenly. Because it sits up higher, if you push one corner in first, the go around to each remaining corner, you're putting extra strain on the case.

Also, plastic, hard or otherwise does shrink with heat. Throw a piece of plastic in a fire and see what happens. Plastics are made out of long chains of stretched out polymers. Their natural state is basically a ball or knot. When heated, the molecules start moving and will return to their natural state... causing shrinkage if the applied heat is at a low temperature.

pruppert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
I am having the same experience as Laserawesome.

I picked up a new Incase mag case from Target today. It fits like a glove on my new iPad 3. No problems at all with it so far.

The magnet on the back for holding the smart cover is a great feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.