iPad2 Jailbroken on 4.3.3 when to update

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by danielowenuk, Dec 30, 2011.

  1. danielowenuk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    #1
    Sure this a popular question, but I am just wondering what the latest is;

    I have a jailbroken ipad 2 on 4.3.3.

    With the recent untethered 5.0.1 (A4 device) being completed the focus has moved to the A5 devices.

    Now my question is when to move? If a jailbreak is released on 5.0.1 apple will probably release 5.0.2 with a fix and stop signing 5.0.1

    Will the window between JB release and stopping signing give enough time to do an update?

    What is everyone else with a jailbroken iPad 2 doing?
     
  2. anthdci macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2009
    #2
    I am in the same boat, but I have used Tiny Umbrella to save the SHSH blob and *I think* the APT ticket, so I can install 5.0.1 on my ipad at any time.
     
  3. danielowenuk thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    #3
    Unfortunately missed the signing window for blobs :(
     
  4. anthdci macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2009
    #4
    you can save the 5.0.1 blobs now! Then you should be able to use them to install 5.0.1 even when 5.0.2 is out.
     
  5. danielowenuk thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    #5
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

    Without updating? Read p0sixninja's twitter and he is recommending an update. Gonna miss xbmc though :-(
     
  6. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2011
    #6
    I'm not 100% convinced he's talking to A5 users who are jailbroken on 4.3.3. I'm going to wait for confirmation before sacrificing my jb to upgrade.
     
  7. rgarjr macrumors 603

    rgarjr

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    Southern Calif
    #7
    I thought I read that on ios 5, u can't use saved blobs anymore to restore to fw that is not being signed.
     
  8. danielowenuk thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    #8
    “@p0sixninja: @MATTKINGTHESK8R update to 5.0.1 now while you have the chance!!”

    In response to

    “@MATTKINGTHESK8R: @p0sixninja question for you now :) if I want JB for ipad2 iOS 5, would it be a good idea to update from 4.3.3 now or should I keep waiting?”

    Couldn't be clearer
     
  9. rgarjr macrumors 603

    rgarjr

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    Southern Calif
    #9
    Probably the best time to upgrade to 5.0.1 is when Apple releases 5.0.2. and the signing window is still open. Once that 5.0.1 window is closed, even if you have saved blobs u won't be able to go to it.

     
  10. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2011
    #10
    Oh, you're right, I missed that! Ugh. I am so loathe to lose my jb for even a few days, I'm so dependent on things like activator and dimmer! So I don't want to upgrade unless I'm absolutely certain there'll be a new jb soon - but I also don't want to miss out on iOS 5 entirely by missing a 5.0.1 jb because I missed the signing window. I guess I'll let it download the update but not install it just yet....
     
  11. danielowenuk thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    #11
    Bit the bullet and upgraded, so far I am quite pleased, I have a 4S as well so things like photo stream and reading list I am finding to be useful.

    Still, roll on the jailbreak.
     
  12. danielowenuk thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    #12
    Pod2g just tweeted telling all iPad 2 and 4s users to update :)
     
  13. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2011
    #13
    I've downloaded 5.0.1, still gun-shy on installing it. If 5.0.2 comes out tomorrow, I can still install what I've already downloaded, can't I?
     
  14. TheSlimOne macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    #14
    The signing window stays open a day or two when the new comes out.

    No, just because you downloaded the 5.0.1 doesn't mean you can install it anytime you want. It checks when you try to install it. If they stop signing it even if you already downloaded you are SOL.
     
  15. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2010
    #15
    I was going to wait to update to 5.01 because I wouldn't be able to downgrade back to 4.3.3 on my 3G iPad 2 if it took longer than a week. I remember what it was like waiting for Jailbreakme 3 to come out. But I am thinking of doing it now. Who with a 3G iPad 2 is going to update and who is not?
     
  16. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2011
    #16
    That's what I meant, during the signing window. I'm trying to stay on top of this so I can do it the instant 5.0.2 - or the jailbreak - comes out, but i think if nothing happens in another 3-4 days I'll bite the bullet and upgrade regardless. And keep my fingers crossed that pod2g is right with his one week window!
     
  17. TheSlimOne macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    #17
    I went ahead and did it. I don't like it but at least it's there. I am lucky as my 4.3.3 blobs are saved
     
  18. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2010
    #18
    I ended up changing my mind and won't update until the jailbreak is out. I am jailbroken on 4.3.3 and knowing that I wouldn't be able to restore makes me weary to update to an unjailbroken iOS. I would update even if the jailbreak was a tethered one.
     
  19. TheSlimOne macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    #19
    The issue is gonna come up. If the 5.0.2 or 5.1 comes out today and the they stop signing tomorrow. If the jailbreak comes for 5.0.1 only your not going to be able to do anything about it. You will have to wait for a JB for 5.1 or 5.0.2

    Its just a bit of a risk I wasn't willing to take
     
  20. TriJetHero macrumors 601

    TriJetHero

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    Location:
    World
    #20
    I upgraded, but have blobs and can downgrade aswell.

    Risk of not upgrading now is that apple brings out 5.02 before pod2g can release his JB. Than you might miss out on this JB altogether.

    It's a gamble that only you can decide if it's worth it.
     
  21. bwthor macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2011
    #21
    If your iPad is GSM, you can go back to 4.3.3 if you have your SHSH blobs saved using this method. If it is CDMA (Verizon) you cannot.
     
  22. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2010
    #22
    I couldn't get TinyCFW to work with my Windows 7 PC. I was able to download a bbupdate file from the TU website. When I get home this afternoon, I probably will update and then immediately try to downgrade my GSM iPad 2 and see what happens. It's supposed to work, but knowing me I'd find a way to mess things up and be jailbreak-less until this A5 one comes out.
     
  23. jigsb007 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2010
    #23
    Experts,

    Its bit confusing...now for me..
    i ahve ipad2 ( wifi ) JB 4.3.3. i have also saved my SHSH , now since the JB for 5.0.1 is at the corner, do i have to upgrade to 5.01 ? and save SHSH ?

    and then wait for JB to release ?

    What if for some reason, JB for 5.0.1 is not possible, can i go back to 4.3.3 ? since i have my SHSH saved for 4.3.3 ?

    please. can anybody explain ? to me ? Also, i dont mind using ipad 2 without JB, for some time..

    Thaks
     
  24. banzai75x macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2011
    #24
    What if 5.0.2 is released, and Apple is not signing 5.0.1. I have my 5.0.1 blobs saved. Can I downgrade/upgrade to 5.0.1 using my blobs?

    This is for iPAD 2 WIFI only running 4.3.3
     
  25. boshii macrumors 68040

    boshii

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #25
    Nope. There's no tool to downgrade between 5.0 releases yet. This is why pod2g urges people to update now. Better safe than sorry.
     

Share This Page