Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oRBIT2002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Gothenburg/Sweden
So, my hope of getting an iPad2 in New York this week failed. The small retailers sometimes had the unit, but it was insanely overpriced. $1500 for a 16GB iPad2 was the worst offer I was given. Some other retailers seems to pick a random (over)price everytime I checked their stock.
When it's time for iPad3, I hope Apple learns something (perhaps unlikely) and manufactures alot more units before releasedate.

zinka

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2009
So, my hope of getting an iPad2 in New York this week failed. The small retailers sometimes had the unit, but it was insanely overpriced. $1500 for a 16GB iPad2 was the worst offer I was given. Some other retailers seems to pick a random (over)price everytime I checked their stock.
When it's time for iPad3, I hope Apple learns something (perhaps unlikely) and manufactures alot more units before releasedate.

Target and Best Buy both have pretty good stock, and accurate online locators (links elsewhere in this forum). Try there.

What kind of retailer quotes a higher price than MSRP? Unless it was one of the tourist ripoff places, I've never heard of that. And those places aren't worth your time, even with a less coveted item. They're scam artists.

jkeb

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
Target and Best Buy both have pretty good stock, and accurate online locators (links elsewhere in this forum). Try there.

What kind of retailer quotes a higher price than MSRP? Unless it was one of the tourist ripoff places, I've never heard of that. And those places aren't worth your time, even with a less coveted item. They're scam artists.

Look on Amazon-iPad 2 prices are all higher than MSRP.

Bartman01

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008

If you were getting above MSRP quotes from AUTHORIZED dealers then report them to Apple. Apple has strict price control rules.

As to stocking up before release, it won't happen on any large scale. The costs are too high. Your best bet is (and always has been for new products) to get in on the online order queue ASAP with either Apple or your preferred authorized vendor. Then if you stumble in to one earlier, just cancel your order.

To Apple's credit - they do provide the online sales option. For other supply constrained items (like the Wii, that was in constant out of stock status for years), there is no option to just 'get in line' from the vendor.

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
I'm pretty sure they were not authorized apple retailers because if they were selling over msrp apple would cut them off immediately.

FeaRThiS

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011

Apple have learnt plenty from previouse releases they make this hype machine for publicity. Do you realy think when apple announced the ipad they didnt know how much stock they would have on the release date? really? If they had released it a week later they would have had more stock, 2 weeks later even more stock it wouldnt have been classed as a delayed release considering until they announced it no one knew when it was going to be released.

Wolfmore

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
No one really knew this was gonna be high demand

I myself thought it was not gonna sell out. I had read alot of complaints that the upgrade was not worth it. No Retina Display, No bigger Storage, camaras sucked ...etc. Yet a lot people are buying for self use. I think Apple made plenty and are probably a little surprised themselves of the high demand.

Ninjasrule

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
The target tracker is accurate but the best buy tracker is not at all. NYC has been disastrous. hopefully the opening to the rest of the world will decrease the flipping that is going on.

GadgetAddict

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
NYC and most suburbs have been the scalpers' mekka everyday since launch day. Demand among "normal" customers was obviously larger than most of us anticipated but I believe Apple had predicted that. The Apple retail stores got good shipments everyday, the problem is all of them (seriously, ALL) went to scalpers making it impossible for the "normal" customers to get the iPad2. Had it not been for the scalpers I am certain the feedback on this forum for NYC would very different.

As I see it the blame falls entirely on Apple for this. Yes, it was Cuomo who accused Apple for discrimination in order to snatch the votes of several ethnic groups but Apple could and should have tried to go around this. Preorders, reservations, max overall limit per customer, credit card only for the first days are a few ways I believe would cut down on scalping.

I have faith that Apple will address the issue of extreme scalping and the next launches will go smoother.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I gave up trying to use my corporate discount and buy from Apple and went to Target instead. I paid more but it was well worth it. Not having to stand in line for hours and leave empty handed like I had done 3 times waiting at an Apple store in NYC and Westchester.

djf881

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
Those off-brand NYC electronics stores are not "mom-and-pop" places, but, rather, are a notorious scam. These places generate hundreds of consumer complaints and get hit regularly with violations and fines for their deceptive business practices. They prey on primarily on foreign tourists who don't know any better, and, lately, on unsophisticated online shoppers.

If you're not buying from an Apple authorized vendor, you're buying from a scalper, even if they have a store.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/25/online-electronic-stores-caught-in-consumer-fraud/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10274730-1.html

http://www.nyc.com/visitor_guide/shopping_tips.75845/editorial_review.aspx

zinka

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2009
The target tracker is accurate but the best buy tracker is not at all. NYC has been disastrous. hopefully the opening to the rest of the world will decrease the flipping that is going on.

Best Buy tracker IS accurate. That's how I got my iPad.

oRBIT2002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Gothenburg/Sweden
If you're in N.Y.C, try entering any small shop that says "electronics". You're guaranteed to get ripped of on any iPad2 deal. One shop (close to the Public Library) was giving me a $100 discount on the 32GB version assuming I went there 5 days later to pick it up (wtf?) I am not sure what the guy was on but I left.
I'm back in my homecountry now (Sweden), and the hunt goes on. :(

DataRiff

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
New York, NY
Mike's Tech Shop

Just a heads up, Mike's Tech Shop on 20th (between 6th & 7th ave) had a few iPad 2's in stock this past Saturday afternoon. Yea, a Saturday afternoon, prime shopping time, and the place was virtually empty... I don't know how many iPads they actually receive or how often, but Mike's is a hidden little spot for truly knowledgable New Yorkers... So yea, I'd call them, ya never know...

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Franky, by the time iPad3 appears most everyone will have an iPad, so it will be a replacement.

So then you can be a little patient, order it on-line, and get it at home.

No hassel.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
If you're in N.Y.C, try entering any small shop that says "electronics". You're guaranteed to get ripped of on any iPad2 deal. One shop (close to the Public Library) was giving me a $100 discount on the 32GB version assuming I went there 5 days later to pick it up (wtf?) I am not sure what the guy was on but I left.
I'm back in my homecountry now (Sweden), and the hunt goes on. :(

These stores aren't supposed to be selling iPads. They're ripping people off.

The only stores allowed to sell iPads are Target, Best Buy, Walmart, and the Apple Store.

If the store you went into is not one of these stores, then they aren't authorized resellers.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The only stores allowed to sell iPads are Target, Best Buy, Walmart, and the Apple Store.

Not quite. There are several other authorized Apple resellers, icluding J&R, B&H, Tekserve, Mike's Tech Shop...

But they will all be selling iPads at retail price or with a slight discount. So yeah, any store selling them above retail aren't authorized resellers.

richlee111

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
I would go w/ an authorized reseller or major retailer like Target or Bestbuy. Not only will you not be able to return or exchange the product from one of these small shops, but there is always the small but real risk of buying a knockoff.

Listen to the Zohan and avoid "Sony Guts" :cool:

MSUSpartan

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
I'm in NYC and due to Apple sending me my online order way early (promised 4/1), I now have an extra iPad. Does anyone know if the scalpers are still there in full force? Maybe I can just go there and sell it to them so I don't have to spend postage to mail it back.

They shipped on Friday and it's here with me now by the way, speedy!

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'm in NYC and due to Apple sending me my online order way early (promised 4/1), I now have an extra iPad. Does anyone know if the scalpers are still there in full force? Maybe I can just go there and sell it to them so I don't have to spend postage to mail it back.

They shipped on Friday and it's here with me now by the way, speedy!

I'm in the same situation. I checked Saturday morning on my order and it was still Not Yet Shipped with an ETA of April first. Later that afternoon I got a call from BB that my reservation came in. I picked it up from BB (and opened in front of them as I always do, yes I'm paranoid like that lol), and went home. Soon as I get home I went online to cancel my order and found it in a Prepared For Shipment status. I called Apple and explained the situation and they said that they can't cancel it, but that I can call in for a return label as soon as it arrives. Give them a call, they may email you a label to print and use.

MSUSpartan

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
I'm in the same situation. I checked Saturday morning on my order and it was still Not Yet Shipped with an ETA of April first. Later that afternoon I got a call from BB that my reservation came in. I picked it up from BB (and opened in front of them as I always do, yes I'm paranoid like that lol), and went home. Soon as I get home I went online to cancel my order and found it in a Prepared For Shipment status. I called Apple and explained the situation and they said that they can't cancel it, but that I can call in for a return label as soon as it arrives. Give them a call, they may email you a label to print and use.

Cool, hopefully free to ship it back. Thanks!

zgh1999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007

Are you kidding me??!?!?!

Manhattan's streets are choke full of electronics shops like what the OP described.

You can find them in mid town and downtown Manhattan -- they are literally everywhere.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
Just a heads up, Mike's Tech Shop on 20th (between 6th & 7th ave) had a few iPad 2's in stock this past Saturday afternoon. Yea, a Saturday afternoon, prime shopping time, and the place was virtually empty... I don't know how many iPads they actually receive or how often, but Mike's is a hidden little spot for truly knowledgable New Yorkers... So yea, I'd call them, ya never know...

And if you go ask for Mike (name is coincidence), he's a good friend of mine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.