ipad3 retina display useless for photos, iOS downsamples every image to crap

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PLD7, Mar 19, 2012.

1. PLD7 macrumors newbie

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ipad-3-benchmark-review,3156-5.html

iOS will downsample every photo to less than 2 megapixels! What is the point of a retina display if you can't even view a photo with a higer resolution then 2 megapixels? 2 MP's is a complete joke! :eek::confused:

To see it for yourself look up a wallpaper with a resolution of 2040x1536 and watch what safari resizes it to.

2. aperry macrumors 6502a

I haven't read the review yet, but I sync'd by current wallpaper via iTunes. I emailed it to myself from the iPad to check the resulting file resolution on my MBP. It shows 2048X2048.

So I don't think sync'd photos are downsized less than the screen resolution.

Edit: I just read the review. This has to do specifically with Mobile Safari. Looks like a bug IMO. but syncing photos through iTunes does not do this.

3. PLD7 thread starter macrumors newbie

glad to hear synced photos are still full reso, but it's pretty sad that I cant just save a nice wallpaper or something off the internet in full resolution.

4. Acevesx macrumors regular

crap that's how I always do wallpapers :(

5. aperry macrumors 6502a

I suppose it would be worth trying another browser (Atomic or iCab or something).

6. PLD7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried dolphin browser as well same results . . I think even if the browser displays it in full reso if you save it to your photo album it will be downsampled anyway . . .

7. aperry macrumors 6502a

If that's the case then I agree this does suck!

8. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

I understand how loading native file sizes would slow down the browsing experience, but they should have an on/off option for this in safari settings.

And even though I say they "should", I am pretty confident that they won't.

9. OSMac, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

OSMac macrumors 65816

The article is misleading.

The iPad 3 can display photos in the browser at full resolution
    and saves photos at full resolution.

Here's an example of a 2048x1536 png image,
    it will show in the browser at full resolution:

http://members.shaw.ca/jvphoto/TestImages/ipad3/nuthatch2048pngclose.png

Safari in iOS does down size large jpg images,
    but if you save the image (press hold) it saves
    and can be seen in the photos app full res.

http://members.shaw.ca/jvphoto/TestImages/ipad3/nuthatch2048closeup.jpg

10. PLD7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm aware of PNG's but honestly how many of those do you come across on the net?

It's been confirmed they save to the photo album at full resolution? I havn't seen that anywhere . . .

11. OSMac macrumors 65816

Yes, if you have the photogene app it shows the metadata including size of image.

Just try it on the jpg image above, you can see in browser it downsizes, the browser even gives the display size. Save it and look at it in the Photo app, clearly is full size, much more detail and the size can be confirmed by photogene.

12. PLD7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, just tested it and yes, I can confirm that even though safari is resizing the image if you save it to the photo album it retains its original resolution.

It would still be nice to have a re-size on/off toggle for safari . . .

13. powerslave12r macrumors 6502a

I had a similar experience when I was trying to load my photos from Dropbox onto the ipad.

This seems to be Dropbox for iPad app's limitation.

After going through this discussion and the silence and cockiness of the staff/mods the conspiracy theorist in me wants to claim it may have been on request from Apple, based on the rest of this thread.

14. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Actually this is nothing new and exactly what the iphone does too.

The web browser's resolution are scaled down otherwise the text would be unreadable (too small).

15. OSMac macrumors 65816

16. mokelby macrumors newbie

Isn't it just scaling the image, so that you can see the entire image on the screen. Just for browsing?

17. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

It took out some of the vibrant coloring. It's kinda washed out when compared to the original version.

18. homeboy macrumors 6502

This is one of the annoyances I even had with the iPad. I work in the creative industry and use my iPad extensively for reviewing images, proposals and concepts. It's devastating that gorgeous images are downsampled and I hope Apple change this with iOS6 because my iPad 3 has a brilliant screen that is being bottle necked by the default photo app which is overly simplified.

19. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Huh? This has nothing to do with the photo app, this is Safari, the web browser.

20. OSMac macrumors 65816

Why are you using jpg for proposals etc?

The browser does not downsize png,
    and the photo app does not downsize any including jpg...

21. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

This explains why my "iPad Retina Wallpaper" folder in dropbox imported them all tiny. I went to save them from iPad into iPhoto to make a wallpaper album to sync and was confuzzled as to why they were all downsized instead of 2048x2048.

Now I'm having to use the Mac to download them full-sized and then add them to an iPhoto album so they sync full size.

22. powerslave12r macrumors 6502a

Which is a serious limitation for me as an amateur photographer. I am looking at Jailbreaking options that might let me work around this.

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

Why do you think Dropbox won't fix this behavior?

24. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

You can open iPhoto on the iPad and see that the images you save to the iPad are full resolution.

25. powerslave12r macrumors 6502a

Your guess is as good as mine, especially going through that discussion that I linked to in the previous post on the dropbox support forums.

Again, I am forced to think that Apple may have requested them to comply with this limitation for whatever reasons they have limited the behavior in Safari, most probably performance related.