Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
To be honest, I didn’t even know that zoom feature was there until today.
And, as that meme shows, theres virtually no difference in terms of screen space. Only font size.
Looking forward to this. Glad they are continuing to listen to feedback from customers!

Much prefer the zoomed out approach as it makes the interface feel less cartoon. I do wish they gave you as many zoom levels as some Android deployments, but this is still a step forward
Given how apple wants to design the stage manager and how they implement touch control on iPad, I doubt more scaling level will ever happen, and if so, would only be possible on 12.9” model.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
What was wrong with iPhone 6s?
I think they compared it favorably. The A12 chip is keeping up with the needs of new features very well, just like the 6s’s A9, which had a pretty huge performance boost over the A8. To this day my old 6s is still quite usable on iOS 15, especially considering it was released back in 2015.

vvapple

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2017
World
Can anyone take a couple Screenshots for a side by side comparison? Would like to see how much it really affects the usable space :)

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
So dumb how they have different software and hardware features between the two sizes regardless of the generation. They've always used the same processor and RAM. They're also both supposed to be "Pro" devices, yet the larger one usually gets some kind of exclusive feature. They should change the names if that's going to be the case.

philliez98

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
Southeastern PA
Here’s a comparison between Display View Default vs More Space
Can anyone take a couple Screenshots for a side by side comparison? Would like to see how much it really affects the usable space
Here you go. Here are side by side images from this thread. One the view ‘Default’ and the other is ‘More Space’. Not too much of a difference, but when you have multiple apps open it does allow more content to be seen. Also, these were taken on an iPad Pro 11 1st Gen (2018).

Attachments

• BAE9ECFE-9832-43D6-A58D-D38E62654E84.jpeg
    BAE9ECFE-9832-43D6-A58D-D38E62654E84.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 158
  • D6985550-7616-42D1-B2EB-4653C357C92E.jpeg
    D6985550-7616-42D1-B2EB-4653C357C92E.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 169

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle

Here you go. Here are side by side images from this thread. One the view ‘Default’ and the other is ‘More Space’. Not too much of a difference, but when you have multiple apps open it does allow more content to be seen. Also, these were taken on an iPad Pro 11 1st Gen (2018).
Wow, there are two more characters on a line of text in the more space version. That is…. Underwhelming. That has got to be the minimum amount of resizing they could have done.

Reactions: philliez98

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Wow, there are two more characters on a line of text in the more space version. That is…. Underwhelming. That has got to be the minimum amount of resizing they could have done.

Note, there are bigger margins in that example with the More Space option.

The difference between the two zoom levels is more pronounced in split view and Stage Manager. Default zoom + Stage Manager on 11” just feels way too cramped.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Note, there are bigger margins in that example with the More Space option.

The difference between the two zoom levels is more pronounced in split view and Stage Manager. Default zoom + Stage Manager on 11” just feels way too cramped.
Ah, I guess you are right, but why would there not be more use of that space? I guess if this was just done to enhance Stage Manager maybe it won’t do much to normal windows.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Ah, I guess you are right, but why would there not be more use of that space? I guess if this was just done to enhance Stage Manager maybe it won’t do much to normal windows.

That’s simply the website layout for the given viewport size.

If you view MacRumors forums fullscreen on a PC with 1920x1080 display, you would just get centered content with even larger margins on the sides.

Reactions: Tagbert

SeenJeen

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009

Ah interesting, thank you. I have the same iPad as you and this is quite exciting!

I wonder what resolution Safari/iOS reports at different display modes?

Could you try it?

Reactions: philliez98

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Ah interesting, thank you. I have the same iPad as you and this is quite exciting!

I wonder what resolution Safari/iOS reports at different display modes?

Could you try it?

I took some screenshots earlier with split view. It seems the Air 5 and Pro 11 with More Space will allow for around the same viewport size as the Pro 12.9 in Default Zoom.

Air 5 Default Zoom

Viewport Air 5 Default.png

Air 5 More Space

Viewport Air 5 More Space.png

Pro 12.9 Default Zoom

Viewport Pro 12.9 Default.png

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
And some split view screenshots for MR forums.

Notice how the Air 4 in Default zoom displays the mobile layout while both the Air 5 More Space and Pro 12.9 Default zoom display desktop layout.

The Pro 12.9 is on stable release so I can’t test More Space there.

Air 4 Default Zoom

Split View Air 4 Default.png

Air 5 More Space

Split View Air 5 More Space.png

Pro 12.9 Default Zoom

Split View Pro 12.9 Default.png

SeenJeen

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
I took some screenshots earlier with split view. It seems the Air 5 and Pro 11 with More Space will allow for around the same viewport size as the Pro 12.9 in Default Zoom.
This kicks ass. Thanks! My biggest gripe with the 11" Pro was the viewport on some websites ... some websites had content that was slightly off screen and not scrollable. Hopefully this helps!

duck apple

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
I’m actually loving this even more than stage manager. Was convinced my next iPad would be a 12.9” but now I’m not so sure.
Be sure to check if Mini LED backlighting is in the 11" iPP. You'll miss the fantastic world of HDR without that.

duck apple

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
Gotta have something to force folks to upgrade. Its the same thing they do with the iPhone each year. Each year there is at least one or two (if not a couple more) features in the new version of iOS that you won't get unless you're on the latest and greatest hardware.
Like 4800 MP photo?

• Haha
Reactions: Tagbert

kajdncv

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2022
ee
And some split view screenshots for MR forums.

Notice how the Air 4 in Default zoom displays the mobile layout while both the Air 5 More Space and Pro 12.9 Default zoom display desktop layout.

The Pro 12.9 is on stable release so I can’t test More Space there.

Air 4 Default Zoom

View attachment 2086325

Air 5 More Space

View attachment 2086326

Pro 12.9 Default Zoom

View attachment 2086327
With More Space enabled on the iPad Pro 11", can you do split screen comfortably now? Like reading an academic pdf on the left side, and google things you're not familiar with on the right side. I wanted to get the 12" iPad Pro M2, but it has pwm, so I'm stuck between the iPad Pro 12.9" 4th gen and iPad Pro 11" M1/M2

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
With More Space enabled on the iPad Pro 11", can you do split screen comfortably now? Like reading an academic pdf on the left side, and google things you're not familiar with on the right side. I wanted to get the 12" iPad Pro M2, but it has pwm, so I'm stuck between the iPad Pro 12.9" 4th gen and iPad Pro 11" M1/M2

If you can comfortably read those PDFs on an iPad mini, then yes.

Personally, I find PDFs difficult to read on the iPad mini or split screen on less than 12.9” (old eyes).

PDF files are fixed layout so if you have your viewer set to fit to screen, there’s really no difference on the displayed page regardless of which display zoom level you choose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.