Ipad's jailbreak. when will it?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by yosi199, Apr 20, 2010.

1. yosi199 macrumors member

Hi. So... when will you think will get to see a jailbreak actually working?

2. harpy macrumors member

That was done on day one or two of release.

From what I recall of the talk, they are waiting for the 3G version to come out before releasing the instructions, because if they did it prior to that then Apple could easily slip in a patch.

3. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

4. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

I hope not! If they wanted to be fair to all of the international customers who have not been able to acquire the iPad, they would wait for it to be released to the other countries (UK, Australia etc.).

5. jeffy777 macrumors 6502

Me too.

6. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

7. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

Not going to happen until after 4.0 comes out.

8. jeffy777 macrumors 6502

Really? We have a long wait ahead then.

9. yosi199 thread starter macrumors member

that's real bummer. I still cant decide whether i really like\need this device and I think the apps will set my mind but as long as there is no jailbreak I have no apps. I mean I have no problem to pay for apps but man the prices are very high.

10. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Maybe with the 3G release, but that is just a rumor... lack of multitasking is killin me. Still using my iPhone heavily.

Note, even if you have a jailbreak there's no guarantee that MobileSubstrate (and everything you love) will work... this will obviously take some time...

but it does open the filesystem back up.

I have always seen the potential for this device as it would be under a jailbreak. These are exciting times :)

11. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

What do apps have to do with jail breaking unless someone is wanting To download "freebies" which are illegal. Yes, some apps are pricey but there are quite a few FREE ones and apps under $3 as well. If you can afford an iPad and since you have no problem with paying for some apps, there is your answer. :)

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 Most people don't understand how complex even the simplest app is to create and how many hours/days/weeks of planning it takes before even the first line of code is written.

Not to mention developing art assets, testing, debugging, etc.

13. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I think the dev team has one good hack right now, and they probably want to wait to release it until 4.0 is already out so Apple can't patch it before the update.

I could be wrong. I know it's doable, it just depends on when they feel it's safe to release the JB to the world.

14. vertigo78 macrumors regular

I hope they are just waiting for the 3g ipad. I really want to jailbreak this device. Backgrounder and sbsetting would make the ipad a lot better.

15. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

The only reasons I want a JB is for iFile and SBSettings (or something similar.)

Can live without 'em on my iPhone, and they'd be the ticket on the iPad.

16. yosi199 thread starter macrumors member

Actually I do get it. the problem is that they dont let you try out any app. how can I tell if I like it or not? just gonna keep paying until I get the one I wanted? that is a big disadvantage for me.

17. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

The iTunes App store is not a library or rental place. The rest of us are indeed taking a gamble when an App/Game has no lite version on our iPad's but that's the risk you take. No one likes to buy a bad game. Be discerning, read reviews if there are any for the particular app, and just don't buy it if you are unwilling to take that chance.

18. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Please go away.

19. aperry macrumors 6502a

Actually, I agree with the guy. It's highly annoying that you can't demo most apps, and even more annoying that consumers have almost zero recourse to get refunded when an app is falsely advertised or buggy. I have no idea why apps can't have a evaluation period before purchase, but I suspect it's by design.

Here's an example of where this process fails us as consumers: I bought OrbLive for $10 which advertised live TV streaming and supported that feature for a few months until they inexplicably removed the feature in an update that had zero information given about the feature being removed. This feature is pretty much the only reason why most people purchased the app. I asked Orb for a refund and they said I need to ask Apple. I asked Apple and they said there are no refunds, period. That's pretty aggravating. I ended up filing a complain on BBB against Orb.

20. vini-vidi-vici macrumors 6502

I can't believe the whine about the cost of apps... If you're able to afford a luxury device like the iPad, you can afford the software. If you're willing to pay $10 to see a 2 hour movie, you should be willing to pay that much for a game that gives you "only" 2 hours of enjoyment. If it's a dud, so what? You took a chance, it was only $10. How many dud movies have you seen? If you want to complain that $10 is a lot of money for you, then you really have no business owning an iPad. Get your priorities straight, get your life in order, then go buy an iPad. Or, don't whine about it.

21. aperry macrumors 6502a

I don't know who you're responding to here, but if it's me then I'd comment that you're just letting your fanboi'ism shine right through. Maybe other people feel differently, but to me it doesn't matter how much money I make, I still don't like feeling ripped off by big companies. Even if it's just $10.

I own an iPhone, iPad, and Macbook Pro, in addition to several other high-priced gadgets. I like Apple products. I can afford them, I enjoy them, whatever. I don't see the connection between that and feeling ripped off in the App Store. I don't go around giving $10 for nothing in return in other aspects of my life, so why should I accept it as "okay" in the App Store? Great, you don't care, you're a millionaire and you probably crumple up $10 bills and burn them over the winter. You're entitled to do that, but please don't attack other people for pointing out flaws in how the App Store treats consumers.

22. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Dude, please take this crap out of the jailbreak thread, ok? I understand you have frustrations BUT IT'S GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH WHEN AN IPAD JAILBREAK MIGHT BE RELEASED.

23. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

I understand and this is the chance you take. :) I've been lucky because the 3 times I asked Apple support for a refund, they credited me the next day and recently they credited me $9.99 less than 24 hrs later. Mind you, I BEGGED and pleaded in my emails and it has worked! I've never been turned down. I guess I got some real sympathetic customer service folks.

As for Jailbreaking, I also think it won't happen until 4.0 is rolled out

24. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

I seriously doubt that we are going to have to wait until 4.0 to see an iPad jailbreak...the fall is soooo far away!

25. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

i think we'll have to wait till next os release